JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

onkyo NEC1 versus NEC2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greeno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: onkyo NEC1 versus NEC2? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm using an upgrade created by vickyg for her onkyo 607 for my onkyo 609 found here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8145

It uses NEC Combo protocol. Usually I only use input selection, volume and power, but was playing with some of the net features and needed the arrow and enter keys. the upgrade sends a signal, but the receiver didn't recognize any of the arrow (up, down, left, right) or enter. I checked the signals with my widget from the upgrade and the oem remote (RC-803M) for these keys.
for the up arrow, the upgrade outputs:
freq=38122, protocol=NEC1, device=210.109, OBC=130, Hex=BE
the oem remote outputs:
freq=38096, protocol=NEC2, device=210.109, OBC=130, Hex=BE

what should I try to fix the upgrade? I'm using an Atlas 1056 JP1.3 remote running extender v2.13 Best, jeff
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,
the upgrade SAYS it is going to use NEC2 210.109 device 3=130 ,
When I load the upgrade into a Comcast 1067 Bx3 and yes the upgrade really is shooting a Nec2.

but you are saying it is really sending a Nec1 from an atlas 3033, Not NEC but NEC1. That is puzzling.

On an extender you won't get any repeats if used in a macro, so it would be just plain Nec.

I see by your membership date that you are new, but I've had the impression that you are a regular going under a different name. Am I wrong here?

I guess there could bes something wrong with the PID table inside the RDF and that the protocol in the 3033 variety of remotes is not the same as in the other Jp1.3 remotes. It is funny that this is the first time I've heard of that. You could always modify the RDF and change pid from 011A:2 to something like 011A:F and force the upgrade.

Are you using RMIR or IR?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this upgrade in an unextended Atlas 1056B01, and the up arrow button shoots NEC2.
greeno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vickyg and 3FG, Yes I'm a guy that's been around awhile (greenough1), but had to make a new account because I couldn't get a password reset.

the key presses weren't in a macro. i was doing device selection and testing button presses.

Yes I'm using RMIRv2.02 beta

I guess I'll chalk this up to using a device upgrade "of unknown origin".

I'll replace my current upgrade with vickyg's. I looked through it and don't see any functions not on the remote for zone 1.

I went through this a couple of years ago during a home theater upgrade cycle and thought I did it correctly, but I might have just re-used an older onkyo 575 upgrade I had lying around instead of using vickyg's. I had both in an upgrade folder on my computer.

Let me do the replace and see where I'm at. thanks for your help.

Best,
jeff
greeno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm. I went back and added vickyg's original upgrade and included it in the extended setup. same issue occured that I could not control the arrow keys when on the "NET" input. here is where you arrow around and can select apps like pandora, siriusxm, spotify, etc.

I then went to an unextended atlas remote (I have a drawer full of them) and tried both vickyg's 607 upgrade and this one:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11134

for the 709 (a product level up from my 609, but the same year). same issue occurs. i can select inputs and dsp. the arrow keys work from the main GUI menu, BUT when on the NET input the arrow keys are sending a signal the AVR doesn't respond to. I'm not sure what could be going on this this onkyo OEM remote...

I haven't dumped the entire remote, but when looking at the arrow keys with the widget it looks like the upgrade is doing the right thing.

I'm running out of time to work on this today. Any thoughts? I think your 607 vickyg doesn't have any apps associated with an input, or does it? Best, jeff
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the OEM remote, use it to get to appropriate screen, demonstrate that it controls the arrow functions, and then without changing anything on the remote, capture the IR from the OEM remote with your Widget. That's the IR codes to put in the upgrade.

Alternatively, according to the Onkyo spreadsheet, in Net Tune, the signals are:
Code:
D202 C3   RIGHT  210.2  OBC 195
D202 C2   LEFT   210.2  OBC 194
D202 C0   UP     210.2  OBC 192
D202 C1   DOWN   210.2  OBC 191
D202 C4   SELECT 210.2  OBC 196

But learning the correct signal from the OEM is more likely to work.
greeno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
here's the results for capturing the up arrow using the OEM, extended and unextended remote setups. with the OEM remote, once I changed inputs to NET, and the AVR app's came up, I touched nothing except the right arrow key and fired it at the the widget:

OEM:
freq=38168, protocol=NEC2, device=210.2
extended and unextended:
freq=38084, protocol=NEC2, device=210.109

this is using the 709 upgrade linked above. so with the extended and unextended remotes I'm getting what I should get.

What I need to do is dump the remote and create the upgrade for this AVR. The issue is the upgrade does not correspond to the device/remote.

stay tuned for a file upload. thanks again guys.
jeff
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
So as we suspected, the arrow functions respond to device 210.109 in most modes, but to 210.2 in NET mode. It seems to me that you'll need to either use device buttons for the arrow functions, or use shift-arrow for one of the modes. You need some way to tell the 1056 which IR signal to send.

I suppose that one more approach would be to send both IR signals each time you press an arrow or the OK/Select button.
greeno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3FG,
so it looks like you're right. it looks like that on the net input right arrow is NEC2, 210.2, OBC=195, so that's the exception to the NEC2, 210.109 rule.

It looks like PORT, NET, USB, TV/CD, CBL/SAT, VCR/DVD, BD/DVD, all devices that might be external to the AVR or run apps on the AVR, use something other than NEC2, 210.109 (TV/CD used a panasonic protocol). I'd have to check the manual, but those devices are probably programmable (indicated by the panasonic protocol when on TV/CD input).

I'm interested in your comment about sending both signals for the arrows and enter. How would that be accomplished, with the device multiplexer? I've never done that before.

Thanks,
jeff
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one simple way to do it would be to put macros on each that have both commands. If the arrows already have the arrow commands on them, you'd use the shifted version of the command in the macro. I don't think they would repeat when held, but you probably don't use them like that anyway.
greeno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a shot, now that I've got the keys mapped out for the different modes. there's also another dodge... use the android/iphone app. it bypasses the AVR menu and does everything via IP control. pretty slick...
thanks again,
jeff
NEC1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be an NEC (Onkyo Combo) protocol, corresponding to UEI protocol 017E.
Have you tried Audio codes 0868, 1320, 1327 or 1805?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: