JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA URC 6440
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re OFA URC 6440

Backlit = yes
Long battery life = yes, very, and can use rechargeables
Fast - no input lag like on Harmony remotes = yes
Control 3 devices = yes, actually controls 4 devices

Re:-
TV: Switch on/off
AMP: Switch On/Off
AMP: Volume control
HTPC: Sleep/Wake Up
HTPC: Windows Media Center control
= Codes for these commands may or may not be built in, but it is "guaranteed to work all brands". Anyway 6440 learns IR signals from original remotes,
- but don't know about HTPC [maybe someone else who does know will respond...]

Optional but nice to have requirements:
AMP: to control some other functions like switching between Stereo and 5.1 sound stages. = ok

Re. URC RF20
Because of the lcd screen provides plenty of slots, and because there are plenty of macros: "Multiple 'Activities' can be configured with shortcuts, to navigate directly between devices, and number buttons can serve for additional simple commands....By using learned discrete signals operation can be very streamlined, but planning is needed and it takes time to get things just so."

Again not sure about HTPC and on RemoteCentral found "The URC 200 would not learn IR commands from my computer keyboard, needed to operate my Home Theater Computer..." (that was in 2005 so URC 200 is an earlier version) but otherwise URC RF20 also fits the bill and can use rechargeables. Batteries last well (LCD is not colour, and backlight can just be switched)
http://www.remotecentral.com/urcseries/index.html
- recommended as an alternative because it can be configured to do almost anything slickly and does both IR, and RF with the optional/bundled RF receiver: on its own currently around £44 free delivery and duty paid through Amazon.com; LCD screen for up to 190 steps in macros (8 pages of 5 slots for each of 10 devices + Main, 2 pages and Favs, 8 pages), not counting delays ; fast and v.flexible
yaworski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if anything has been done in the subject of decoding settings.bin file for new SimpleSet remotes.

I've recently bought URC 6440 remote. My decision was based on wonderful job that has been done here on the forum and also a great design of this remote. I know that the work on those new models just barely scratched the surface and it is not known yet if they could ever be supported by RMIR but I'm willing to help any way I can. I can provide more settings.bin files if needed.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaworski wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anything has been done in the subject of decoding settings.bin file for new SimpleSet remotes.

I've recently bought URC 6440 remote. My decision was based on wonderful job that has been done here on the forum and also a great design of this remote. I know that the work on those new models just barely scratched the surface and it is not known yet if they could ever be supported by RMIR but I'm willing to help any way I can. I can provide more settings.bin files if needed.
Hi, I am in a similar position but luckily, 6440 has good flexibility out of the box, mainly because it can use some useful 9xx commands
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands.

So far the experts have been looking in from USA, so perhaps any JP1 breakthroughs will first be for the rather different US model, OARUSB04.

Apart from documentation of the setup, I am not sure how much JP1 would add, so what extra facilities would you like?
yaworski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tranx, yes I agree that the remote by itself is really good. I've been playing with 9xx codes but for now I'm OK with "copy" key for learning missing buttons from original remotes. What I would like to see the most is "shifted keys" functionality and maybe custom device upgrades.

In my setup I have 3 devices:
- LG 47LA641S Smart TV (TV button),
- LG NB4530A Soundbar (Extra button) - actually this is using LG SoundSync over optical cable so it powers on itself when signal from TV is received and also the TV is able to control volume in the soundbar using standard volume controls - I've setup it on the remote to be able to use it as a bluetooth speakers,
- PC with XBMC with Flirc IR receiver (PVR button - with mode changed to TV using 9xx code and set some Samsung TV setup code which allows me to use every key for PC).

On PC I'm using EventGhost software for macros and things like long presses for different functions and I'm OK with that. But the remote has too few buttons for the TV itself if I want to use Smart TV functionality. I can copy SmartTV, MyApps and 3D buttons from original remote but I don't have enough buttons on the remote itself so right now I must choose what other functionality I can to sacrifice for those.

I was even thinking that I can just change DVD button's mode also to TV and use the same setup code and just replace some buttons there so I can have 3 different modes of TV operations but this is not a good longterm solution.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes shifted keys would be great. Because of the shortage of buttons we have been using the number buttons for learned commands in most devices and good idea to employ other devices as tv modes.

(Edited: apologies the following was rubbish, was thinking about URC RF20) 'Don't forget the Main and FAV pages too for more buttons/macros, and expect you know Main can itself act as an extra device"

Last edited by tranx on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the guys working on this have hit a brick wall. If you really need JP1 functionality, it would be best to just get a JP1 remote at this point. A backlit Atlas would be a good choice. These run less than $10 shipped on ebay. There was a deal posted in the marketplace forum a while back where they were around $4 (prompting me to buy even more remotes I don't need and will never use Wink ).
yaworski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mdavej too bad it is not available in Europe. Shipping costs would be greater than the remote price itself and there is a risk that I would need to pay customs duty increasing the cost even more. In the end the total price would be greater than what I've paid for 6440. I've been choosing between 6440 and Xsight Color but I like the design of 6440 more.

I won't be changing remote based on just the fact of support from RMIR. It would be really a great addition but I'll manage even without it.

I'll be trying to do some work myself when I have time. I've done some reverse engineering before on other types of hardware (for example hacking Motorola Vxxx and A925 phones to enable more features). I just need to search for some materials on currently known JP1 data structures and eeprom/flash layouts. 3FG wrote on the beginning of this thread that there are similarities to JP1 in settings.bin. Where can I find eeprom layout description? On wiki I've only found description of basic structures like upgrades, keymoves etc.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever decide to make a change, check out the One-for-all site in your country and see if there are any other remotes you like. Many should be JP1. We can probably tell you which ones are.

I think all the data structures in the 6440 are known. The issue right now is encryption. The remote won't accept a new, unencrypted file created by us, if I understand correctly. It would be great to have another pair of eyes though. Drop 3FG a PM to see how you might be able to get involved.

If you look at a download from any JP1 remote in RMIR, you can turn on the color highlighting feature and see every data structure in the raw data. That would give you the clearest picture I think.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. The developers have been working hard behind the scenes since this thread was last active, and we now have a version of RMIR that supports the URC-6440 and similar simpleset remotes. Please see this announcement for more details.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much to the developers, and also for the heads up mathdon.

Apart from the usual advantages of JP1, most functional differences between URC6440 and OARUSB04 (without it) have been bypassed, [edited: except that, with OARUSB04G, macro/LIST works in a special way and] there are 22 phantom buttons (have so far tried just button51 and button52, which work ok), and DSMs are provided for both, which is especially welcome when they have relatively few buttons.

Shifted keys can work in macros but is there any chance of devising/discovering a method for putting the remotes into shift mode for using them directly please?

Last edited by tranx on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
Shifted keys can work in macros but is there any chance of devising/discovering a method for putting the remotes into shift mode for using them directly please?

I have wondered about this, too, but there seems one big obstacle. I can't think of what action on the remote I would like to enter shift mode, since the usual one of a quick press of Setup here goes into the Watch TV activity. Can you think of something?
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
tranx wrote:
...there seems one big obstacle. I can't think of what action on the remote I would like to enter shift mode, since the usual one of a quick press of Setup here goes into the Watch TV activity. Can you think of something?

For tidiness it I reckon one of the central un-paired buttons would be best. 'List' comes easily to thumb and its normal function is not so essential.

To help family and friends who might use the remotes, that would only entail remembering one other button-press to follow 'list', perhaps 'guide' with the list function on shifted-guide.

If shift mode could be set up, would it be inevitable for shifted number buttons to need two presses?
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: OARUSB macro/LIST button functions Reply with quote

As it happens, the list button on OARUSB04G is marked macro/LIST and has unique functions (not present on 6440) which, when configuration has been done with JP1, interfere with any function placed on it.

- when pressed and released it behaves as if issuing the command twice, which performs an action and then immediately cancels it.
- if pressed and held, the configured command seems to be issued but is issued again after a few seconds, which cancels whatever function was performed, and presumably occurs once the remote has been put into the 'macro/activity mode':-

For OARUSB4G this might make it an even better candidate to be re-designated as the Shift Button, if that should be feasible...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not related to shift, but FFWD/REW buttons also have special functionality. They send different commands on a long press (skip fwd / skip rev).
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Not related to shift, but FFWD/REW buttons also have special functionality. They send different commands on a long press (skip fwd / skip rev).
mdavej thanks, was advised that, in RMIR's device layout pages, what look like two phantom buttons correspond to the long-press features and for OARUS04G there are 22 phantom buttons following.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: