JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR, the VUR8, and the Roku 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Random Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: RMIR, the VUR8, and the Roku 3 Reply with quote

I'm working on a Device Upgrade file for a Roku 3.

(I am trying to see if what the "A" and "B" buttons on a Roku 3 RF remote do can be replicated in IR on a JP1 remote. These "A" and "B" buttons are used to control subtitles, in addition to what the Roku 3 "let's get started" brochure says they're for, i.e. "action buttons for gaming").

I thought I'd test some guesses using RMIR. I tried to upload the device upgrade file in progress into a Vizio VUR8. It suddenly occurred to me I've never uploaded anything into my VUR8.

RMIR only seems to allow me to identify a device with a 4 digit setup code, but the VUR8 setup needs to see 5 digits to access what RMIR sends to it.

If I create a Device Upgrade file and want to use it in the VUR8 what 4 digit setup code should I enter into RMIR before uploading into the VUR8, and what 5 digit setup code should I enter into the VUR8 to access it?

I'm using a usb JP1.2/3 cable designed by Tommy Tyler that I built that has been tested that is working, i.e. on other remotes, eg. a URC-2025 right now.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roku IR code is Cab 2371. Whatever is the cab suffix in the VUR8, add it to 2371. But you won't found A & B keys.
J Random Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question was about how to use RMIR to load any device upgrade file into a VUR8. I mentioned the Roku 3 because that's the particular upgrade file I was attempting to create. It could have been any device.

A device upgrade file for a Roku 3 or any particular device, as I presently understand things, doesn't have to have a specific code such as 2371.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup code is completely arbitrary. Pick any one you like.

Have you read the How Easy Is It tutorial in the beginner threads? That should get you started.
J Random Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working with JP1 software for weeks. It is not "easy".

I was working with RMIR and a URC-2025 until I discovered that the limitations of my intended elderly user and the limitations of the URC-2025 meant I couldn't make that remote do what I needed it to do. So I rounded up some more remotes. In addition to the two URC-2025s, I have a VUR8, an ARRS05G that I added a JP1 header to, an RCRP05BR, an Atlas 1056, a Comcast 1067Bx3, an ARRX18G and a Harmony 650. I worked with a Harmony One briefly but sold it quickly as I thought it not suitable for the elderly user I have in mind.

Something is behaving inconsistently for me at the moment. I haven't been able to make RMIR, the VUR8, and newly created device upgrade files work together in such a way that any signals come out of the VUR8 capable of controlling anything. Something works then it doesn't work. I had no such problems when working with the URC-2025 and RMIR. Nothing worked, then I would learn something and take a step forward. Eventually I felt confident in working with RMIR and that remote.

The most likely cause, it seems to me, is bugs in RMIR or in the RDF for the VUR8. The next most likely would be my particular VUR8, perhaps it is about to die. But I can do a 981 reset then tell the VUR8 to use its own factory loaded codes and it works. Another possibility is I am incapable of understanding anything anymore.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try my RDF: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11742

Then try this Roku 3 upgrade: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12052

Open it in RM, pick Vizio VUR8 in the Remote drop down on the main window. Save and close. Open RMIR and your VUR8 rmir file. Go to the Devices tab and click New. Then click Open and find your Roku upgrade. Click OK, then pick a device button to assign (DVD for example). After downloading, press the assigned device button and try your upgrade. It should work at that point. If not, post your RMIR file so we can take a look.

My guess is when you created your upgrade from scratch, you failed to assign any functions to any buttons, hence no signals come out. If that's the case, open the Layout tab in RM and drag each function to a button.

It's also possible that Setup Code lock is turned on for every device on the main window of RMIR. All those need to be set to off.

As for your main issue, the elderly user, I honestly don't think any JP1 remote is appropriate. You need something with big buttons, and not very many of them.
J Random Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions.

The elderly user I'm trying to help can actually see quite well. I was working with the URC-2025 because that's what his cable company supplies.

As I studied and came to understand what his equipment was capable of and what the JP1 tools could do, and after working with him for a while to see what he would actually use, I eventually concluded that the best solution would be to supply him with an identical remote that does just what it does now, with two changed buttons.

If I could have two buttons on his URC-2025 that always did the same thing no matter what, i.e. if there was one button would cause his TV to go to its HDMI 1 input and if there was another button that would cause the TV to go to his HDMI 2 input, there might be a chance he would then feel confident enough in his ability to control his system that he would use it to do something other than watch cable, i.e. watch movies.

Its his partner, i.e. my elderly mother, who is suffering somewhat, as he is the remote control and video equipment operator, she wants to watch movies, and he can't control the equipment any more in order to do that with her.

Although I found the discrete signals to send to his TV to directly control what hdmi input it uses and tested them, it seems the URC-2025 can't do keymoves, and as far as I've been able to figure things out, that means I can't make two buttons act as described above.

Hence I gathered up my collection of remotes, thinking about which one might be easiest for him to make the move to.

I believe I was using the VUR8 RDF file you link to already. But I've overwritten whatever I was using anyway with what you've suggested.

I was using the Roku file you suggest as the basis for my device upgrade file. I was gathering up the contributions from everyone I could find in various discussions - various people were announcing they had discovered keys for functions that the file you point to doesn't contain, i.e. instant replay, and for directly going to Amazon, Netflix, Mgo, Vudu, etc. In addition, I renamed some of the functions so that the naming conventions would be in conformity with the Roku documentation. The idea was to aim to post the upgrade to the site, so I would have to learn how to do a good upgrade file. However, I will use the exact file you've pointed to and do as you suggest.

However I won't be able to do so for some hours as I need to keep an appointment.
J Random Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a last thing to check before I went out the door, I looked into your suggestion that "the Setup code lock is turned on for every device in the main window of RMIR".

Sure enough, all setup code locks are set to ON. This would tend to explain what is happening. I had never thought about or taken notice of these settings before.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that does the trick. And I'm all for building a better upgrade too. I was just trying to get you over the hump and at least get something working. That will give you something to build on, which is easier than starting from scratch.

I don't know much about the URC-2025, but if it can't do keymoves, can it at least do macros? That would be another way to make your HDMI1 and 2 buttons work in any device mode.

I understand your dilemma as my parent's circumstances are similar. I had them using JP1 remotes for years, but as they got older, they could no longer remember how to use them, no matter how simple I made them. Now they have a Harmony 600 which goes unused most of the time, but they can at least pick it up occasionally and press the button next to "Watch Movie". Plus I can reprogram their remote from several hundred miles away and simply have them plug it in and sync to update it.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the URC-2025 allows global punch through, which can be manually accessed through the 984 command. As I recall, the RCRP05B also accepts global punch through. Anyway the effect is to punch through arbitrary signals in the same way that volume punch through works. I think that is what you want.

You'd make an upgrade for the TV that does all the required functions. Then, assuming that RMIR doesn't support GPT (I don't remember), manually program GPT using the 984 command.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: