JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC Kameleon 6 (8206)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pentos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: URC Kameleon 6 (8206) Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I have a URC Kameleon 6 (8206) remote. Until recently it was working fine then one day, pfzt. it just plain stopped. I was using it to control a TV/DVD combo (DRG ) and my stereo amp (Yamaha ?)
Now its possible one of the kids got hold of it and started pressing buttons at random, but IM not sure they would have been able to activate the 'magic hat' doodha, as I have enough trouble with that myself. Anyhoo - I managed to reprogram the code for the Amp so it works fine, but no such luck wit the TV/DVD. The codes for the TV are included in an upgrade that has to be performed via WAV file through a speaker, and try as I might I simply cannot get the thing to accept the upgrade. Ive been through every volume/tone/proximity configuration I can think of and none of it works. So. my two questions are these: 1. Is it possible that these things can just stop "hearing" the upgrade noise? and 2. If so is there anything I can do to restore its 'hearing' so I can do the upgrade?
Any help very gratefully received.
Cheers
Jonathan
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Kameleon, but other remotes that take WAV files have a big coil that picks up the sound (a modem) which often gets knocked loose over time. So you could open your remote and hot glue the coil back in place and re-solder any broken connections. The coil is a couple of inches across, you can't miss it.
pentos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mdavej and thanks for your input.
I've pulled the unit apart, and right enough, theres a coil in there. But I can see no problem with either the mounting of the soldering. Any other ideas? Cheers.
Happy New Year
Jonathan
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coil inside the remote responds to magnetic fields. Most speakers generate an AC magnetic field--that's what causes the speaker cone to move. So if by chance you're using speakers which are piezo electric or use some other non-magnetic actuator, then the remote won't be able to respond.

What response do you get from the remote? I'm not familiar with Kameleons, but it should be giving you blinks or text or something to indicate it has recognized the request to do a modem upgrade, and it should give an indication of whether a successful upload occurred. Do you see those?
pentos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3FG.
Ive tried the upgrade WAV with four different speakers, so I think its unlikely that the problem lies there: (PC desktop speakers, main hi-fi speakers, headphones , and an i-pod 'bomb').
The remote will go into its receptive state but doesnt display the acknowledgement blinks to confirm the upgrade, but instead just eventually returns to the previous state
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just guessing here, but presumably the upgrade won't be accepted if the remote doesn't have enough free memory. Have you done 981 class reset? CLearly something adverse happened to the remote, and maybe the remote thinks the memory is nearly full.

And, are you sure the WAV file you're using is one that worked before?
pentos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have done the reset, but tbh Ive tried so many options I cant be sure. Would it be Magic Hat>Other>981 ?
If I did this would it reset the entire device (ie would I need to reprogram the Amp too?) or is it only to clear the additional memory?
The WAV file is newer and smaller/shorter than the one I used successfully before, but I have tried both.
pentos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you make a good point. Clearly something has indeed happened to it. I assumed that ti was an external factor (ie kids, dog etc) but given that its so complex to get it to reprogram in any way, IM thinking that may not be the cause after all. Are there any other known external factors than can cause a remote to simply reset itself?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to state the most obvious possibility. Did you make sure you have fresh batteries. That is the sum of my hardware expertise, and you'd be surprised at how many people thought my extenders were killing there computers when in fact it is the batteries.

Are you playing the same WAV that you used before, or did you recreate a custom wav?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the UI of the Kameleon series, so I don't know how to do a reset. However, a 981 class reset will erase all programming. A 980 will leave setup codes that you may have programmed, but will clear any macros, keymoves, etc. So either way, these resets will pretty much remove anything you've put in.

Here in the US, we can buy interface cables for <$10. although the shipping time from Asia is a little long. Cables are far superior to blindly adding WAV files.....
pentos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky. I've tried both the old upgrade WAV and the more recent one I downloaded from OFA.

3FG - I agree, and have looked into the possibility of getting a cable. I even PM'd Tommy here but havent heard back yet. Do you have a link to a source for a cable from Asia?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread covers the subject pretty well. I think several users have been happy with this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: