JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

editing device upgrades in RMIR - where did the layout go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asinsh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: editing device upgrades in RMIR - where did the layout go? Reply with quote

Sorry, I must be missing something obvious. I had originally programmed an rs2116 (with extender2) via KM and IR.exe and it works fine.

I downloaded that remote via RMIR and saved that image. When I upload via RMIR everything continues to work fine.

Here's where it gets strange. When I open the image in RMIR and try to edit a device upgrade (in this case my Tivo upgrade which I have customized), RMIR's upgrade editor doesn't show any of the special functions from the upgrade (for example, tivo central). Instead, it lists as functions only the buttons that the 2116 has (and of course the layout shows that every button has been assigned the function with the same names as the button). Meanwhile, I know that in fact the remote is working. Why doesn't it show what's actually in there?

To further experiment, I used RMIR's upgrade editor to open up (as a new device) the KM upgrade I originally used to create the tivo upgrade and it looks as I would expect there (all the tivo functions are there and assigned properly and the layout looks right).

So, what's the trick that prevents me from seeing what the actual added device looks like? (I know I can work around this by deleting all my upgrades and 're-importing' them but I'd love to know what I am doing wrong.)

Thanks.

And in case it's helpful, here's what my rmir remote image file looks like (the tivo upgrade is the last one and it looks like the assignments in it are correct so I think I am just using RMIR wrong in trying to look at and edit the upgrade):

Code:

Code was removed and placed in RMIR file in the diagnosis section

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12192
asinsh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you have simply downloaded from a remote and you are in RMIR and want to edit an existing device you need to click edit (to open the upgrade editor) and then go through the extra step of opening the appropriate rmdu file? And once you save it the description in the editor points to the correct rmdu file and going forward clicking edit will automatically open it up?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Asinsh,

I edit your post above, to remove the code and place the RMIR file in the diagnosis section. We prefer to have files instead of having the code listed out. You can upload the file in the diagnosis section and then place a link in the thread.

Quote:
Here's where it gets strange. When I open the image in RMIR and try to edit a device upgrade (in this case my Tivo upgrade which I have customized), RMIR's upgrade editor doesn't show any of the special functions from the upgrade (for example, tivo central). Instead, it lists as functions only the buttons that the 2116 has (and of course the layout shows that every button has been assigned the function with the same names as the button). Meanwhile, I know that in fact the remote is working. Why doesn't it show what's actually in there?

To further experiment, I used RMIR's upgrade editor to open up (as a new device) the KM upgrade I originally used to create the tivo upgrade and it looks as I would expect there (all the tivo functions are there and assigned properly and the layout looks right).

So, what's the trick that prevents me from seeing what the actual added device looks like? (I know I can work around this by deleting all my upgrades and 're-importing' them but I'd love to know what I am doing wrong.)

Could you post a link to the KM file that you are talking about so we can follow along?

Quote:
I guess if you have simply downloaded from a remote and you are in RMIR and want to edit an existing device you need to click edit (to open the upgrade editor) and then go through the extra step of opening the appropriate rmdu file? And once you save it the description in the editor points to the correct rmdu file and going forward clicking edit will automatically open it up?

Once you start with an RMIR file, you should keep working from that RMIR file. You shouldn't be downloading from the remote. The RMIR file has all your unassigned functions, and descriptive function names. None of that is stored in the remote. The remote only has the information shown in the RAW Data tab.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
asinsh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Once you start with an RMIR file, you should keep working from that RMIR file. You shouldn't be downloading from the remote. The RMIR file has all your unassigned functions, and descriptive function names. None of that is stored in the remote. The remote only has the information shown in the RAW Data tab.

I see I didn't explain well. Here's a clearer explanation:

- I wasn't starting with an rmir file. I had been using KM and ir.exe and thus all I had were .ir files for each remote and KM .txt files for each device upgrade.

- I wanted to shift over to RM and RMIR, so I opened the .txt KM device upgrades in RM and saved them as .rmdu files. That seemed to work fine.

- I then wasn't sure how to convert the .ir files to .rmir files.

- I tried to open the .ir files in RMIR and that seemed to work but when I tried using RMIR to edit the device upgrades (by double clicking a device upgrade while in RMIR, which opened the device upgrade editor) I saw that the device upgrades shown in that editor had no real function names (it reported that every button had a function associated with it that had the same name as the button even though in fact there were lots of functions with unique names like Tivo Central that didn't show up as 'functions', thus rendering the layout tab pretty useless).

- I then tried to download the data from the remote and found the same thing when I used RMIR to open up the device upgrades.

The remotes work fine, so I guess the raw data in the remote (and the raw data that RMIR pulls when it opens an .ir file) doesn't include function names (it just associates buttons and efc/hex/obc codes that have nothing to do with names).

Thus, I think the only way for me to finish converting to RMIR files is to re-associate the device upgrades (this time using the .rmdu files I had already converted from the KM .txt versions) by deleting the device upgrades that appear in RMIR and then adding those .rmdu versions. I think that will work fine, and once I do it the first time I'll never have to do it again.

Am I thinking about this correctly?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, IR doesn't save your function names, except for sometimes in Notes.
The remote has absolutely nothing in it to describe anything.

So if you want a fully documented remote, you need to rebuild your RMIR files from the upgrades themselves. Then not only do you have the functions that are assigned AND their real function names, not just the button they are associated with. You also have the functions that are not assigned.

RMIR can try to do the acrobatic stunts necessary to create upgrades, but that is a lot of predictive guess work.
asinsh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. And in case others get stuck on this, here's one more point that I probably should have realized but didn't when I moved to an all RMIR world: when you import device upgrades and save your .rmir file, that file contains all the info you need for your upgrades (RMIR never again needs to look at the original .rmdu files). That means that if you make further changes to button assignments of your devices in RMIR, those changes will not be reflected in the corresponding .rmdu files (unless of course you resave the .rmdu file after making the changes). And that's a big change (and a big improvement) from the work flow you needed to use with KM and IR.exe (where every change in button assignment of a device upgrade needed to be done first in KM and then imported into IR.exe).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: