JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The WHAT and WHY of JP1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: The WHAT and WHY of JP1 Reply with quote

For several months now, since joining this group, I have watched the experts answering the same questions over and over again (some of them mine) - often questions due apparently to a lack of understanding of the JP1 "system". I suspect that the experts have other things they'd just as soon be doing and that most of those who asked the questions would far rather have found the answer for themselves.

When I started JP1, I found the lack of documentation frustrating. While there's lots of "how to" documentation, including the very useful "JP-1 for Beginners", there's little that deals with the "what" and "why", or that addresses JP1 as a system (which it is).

Therefore, following completion of my URC9811 programming project, I set out to find out what makes JP1 "tick". While far from becoming an expert, along the way I did developed a couple useful special protocols, "tweaked" the 8911 extender to save a few bytes, disected a number of other ASM files and read every readme file on Yahoo! Groups JP-1.

Then, making use of my system engineering background, I tried to draw it all together. The result is "The WHAT and WHY of JP1" (which, in case this link fails, is posted in the Help area of Yahoo). The manual is aimed at "newbies" but may also contain a few "nuggets" for the more experienced. I tried not to repeat what's in "JPI for Beginners" (indeed, I intend the manual to be companion for "JP1 for Beginners") or, except where it seemed appropriate, the various readme files.

Now I need feedback. I need feedback from all types of users - experts, "newbies" and in-betweens. If you don't find the manual useful, just say so and I'll go onto other things. (My feelings aren't easily hurt.) If, on the other hand, it does seem useful, let me know and I'll spend some time "prettying" it up and extending it as you may think useful.

Please excuse any errors in this first draft. (Like I said, I'm far from an expert.) But, please do point them out to me and I'll fix them. Also, as suggested above, if there are other areas you think should be covered, let me know.

Over to you.
Don

Last edited by DGG on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I'l go first unless someone beats to the reply button. I too think there is a need for this sort of document and I commend you for taking on such an ambitious effort and for someone who joined forty some odd days ago an impressive grasp, indeed. I can't say I studied extensively it but I did a quick read more for scope than to provide a detailed response.

I think one of the frequently asked about topics not yet covered is: "Where do I find out how to add a missing command and/or create a device upgrade." Despite sticky posts, people with learning remotes still don't understand that with the IR.exe/DecodeIR.dll combination they have a very powerful tool to move down that path. They also seem to be reluctant to try an existing file.

I think that few novices understand that the basic IR command sets work pretty much across the board. My wife's 13" Panasonic remote can control the basic functions for a $10,000 Panasonic Plasma display.

So maybe a bit more on decoding learned commands, Pronto hex and ccf files, and RTI cml files. Also perhaps either link to Rob's explanation of IR commands and Barry's original paper on decoding Pronto hex. John Fine and I posted a bunch of links at the old Yahoo site that point to some other IR libraries that are available.
I also think that you might want to mention Protocol Builder in the Tools section, not because it is a tool for everyone but for people to know that it exists.

Finally, it is probably good to explain up-front that all JP1 physically does is read and write to the EEPROM using IR. You certainly explain this in several places and I know you understand this, but I think it helps a lot of people better understand what the tools do and how they fit. Let me know if I can help.
DGG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jon, it doesn't look like there was any need to rush in order to be first. I am a little disappointed at the response - but it was Thursday night.

I have tweaked and "HTMLized" the manual and, on the basis of your positive assessment, I have posted the new version in the Help section of Yahoo, where it will be more obvious, under the heading "The WHAT and WHY of JP1". (I'll also update the link in my earlier post.)

Since I'm otherwise occupied for the weekend anyway, I'll wait until Monday. If there still isn't any additional comment, I'll extend the manual along the lines you suggested, re-post in the Help section and go on to other things.

Thanks for your complimentary response,
Don

Last edited by DGG on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also commend you on this effort. The reason I haven't posted a response yet is because I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Having said that, I just opened up the HTML doc and some of the links need revising.

You describe the link to my site as “hi-firemote.com” whereas in fact it's hifi-remote.com. Also the URL for these forums is http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums (you are using the old host79 address, which will break if I ever change servers).

Also, you refer to JP1 as JP-1 which would probably hinder people from finding it when using a search engine.
DGG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob. I never noticed that little hypen before. A new version with your website name and URL updated has been posted.
Don
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGG wrote:
Thanks, Rob. I never noticed that little hypen before. A new version with your website name and URL updated has been posted.
Don

Thanks Don, but you only got the first one, there's lots of references to hi-firemote.com in there. The funny things is, you got the actual URLs right.
DGG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise!. I copied the URLs from the website.

New version posted that's got them all.
Don
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, be sure to add an untracked power control, e.g., Shift-POWER, to correct out-of-sync conditions.

Generally, you do not need "untracked power control" to fix this problem.

The most logical setup, I believe, calls for three toadtog entries per device, either discrete or toggled. One that switches device ON and sets control bit, another switches device OFF and clears control bit, and the last one toggles both device and bit. Third one is called on short press of "power" button, effectively switching current device on/off. First two are used in various macros.

Here is a very simple way to synchronize such configuration. 1) Select out-of-sync device; 2) Cover IR diode with your palm; 3) Press "Power".
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Don't be discouraged by a perceived lack of response. Some people were reading and enjoying instead of commenting. There really isn't a lot of problems in the document and I know everyone will find something in there that helps, no matter what their experience level. It is really great that you took this on and I think a lot of beginners will get a lot of help there. Thanks
DGG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following limited comments, I have expanded the manual to include suggested additions and a few other topics. I have also corrected a few technical errors and, hopepfully, haven't introduced any more.

The revised version is posted at "The WHAT and WHY of JP1".

I don't anticipate expanding the manual again except, perhaps, for additional FAQs at the end.

Further comments welcome.
Don
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Don. This does a good job of bringing many pieces together. Since I am not a believer of nit-picking and the fact that I see no glaring errors I have nothing critical to say.

Just one or two little things did jump out at me. Not all (or any that I can think of) actually include the ExtInstall.exe in the extender package. The other was that based on the particular extender it may or may not have the same functions in parts I and II. They are sometimes moved from one part to the other for size of section purpose due to the 255 byte limitation of each part or the size of the lower memory available. Conceptually though you were correct.

Even though you have no plans of expanding this again I bet when you get a new energy level you will find something to add.

Again thanks...Nice job
DGG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nils. By not expanding, I meant increasing the scope of the document. I certainly intend to fix any errors and the presentation still needs some work. As well, I'll be happy to tweak/enhance any sections that seem anemic. And, if the FAQ section at the end is seen as promising, I'd be happy to add to that.

As for nit-picking, if it's worng, it's wrong. I certainly don't think we need a broad public discussion of the errors, but I'd welcome a private message highlighting questionable areas.

Thanks again,
Don
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I just PM'd several thoughts. I think you have done an excellent job of covering a void in the existing documentation. I think many new users will appreciate your comprehensive explantion of how the pieces fit together.

Thanks again for your fine effort!
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGG wrote:
Thanks, Nils. By not expanding, I meant increasing the scope of the document. I certainly intend to fix any errors and the presentation still needs some work. As well, I'll be happy to tweak/enhance any sections that seem anemic. And, if the FAQ section at the end is seen as promising, I'd be happy to add to that.

As for nit-picking, if it's worng, it's wrong. I certainly don't think we need a broad public discussion of the errors, but I'd welcome a private message highlighting questionable areas.

Thanks again,
Don
Actually, all my comments were in my post. By nit-picking I just meant "how I would say something vs. how you would say it". No problems
DGG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another new version of "The WHAT and WHY of JP1" has been posted in the Yahoo! Help section.

This version doesn't contain a great deal of new information. However, I have extensively reorganized the first half of the document to make for a more logical information flow and to allow each section to build on its predecessors.

One of the experts has agreed to critique the manual in detail. So, hopefully the next version will be close to final.

As usual, all comments welcome. I'd particularly like comments from "newbies" to help me assess whether the manual is doing the job I intended for it.

Thanks in advance,
Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: