JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternate device codes for RCA protocol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbraden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Alternate device codes for RCA protocol Reply with quote

I have an RCA F38310 television, which has an integrated DTC-100 HDTV receiver. I've checked out the upgrade file for this TV from the Yahoo files area, and added codes for a bunch of missing EFC's, but I have several learned codes I don't know how to add. These are the discrete power on commands that select the active source of the video signal. According to IR, these were learned as an EFC of 227, and device 5 to select the component input, device 7 to select the DirecTV satellite input, device 14 to select composite video in (used for VCR), and device 15 to select the OTA TV tuner. It appears device 15 is the default, and is always used in this protocol. How do I add the other devices to select other inputs? Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you only want a few of those, it is easiest to define them as KeyMoves. I don't know what OFA or RS remote you have, so I don't know whether you have built-in setup codes for those KeyMoves. If not, then creating no-key upgrades is still easy.

There are also ways to do this with a combo upgrade rather than KeyMoves, but KeyMoves are easier unless you happen to be low on KeyMove memory.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, it's always hard to find buttons to place these functions on within the main device mode (ie, TV is this case).

I've personally found the best solution is to designate a button as the all-purpose input select button and use it in the relevant mode. For example, let's say you select the "L1" button to be your all-purpose input select button and let's further say that you have your DirecTV programmed to the SAT device button. Then you would program a keymove to the L1 button in SAT mode that selects the DirecTV input on your TV set.

You would then do the same for the other modes that need it.

You could also use the same idea for your stereo receiver, where you might chose the L2 button to be the all purpose input select button.

If you list the RCA device codes that you found via learning, we'll tell you what setup codes go with them. If you mention what JP1 remote you are using, we can tell you if there are built in setup codes that you can use.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to create a new upgrade, use the RCA Combo protocol (like John said) -- and put 227 as the EFC for each function. Then put the device in the byte2 column.

If you want to use these as keymoves, look at the Hex column. For example for EFC=227, device=5, the Hex Cmd is: 5F 3A. (For device=7 the command is 7F 3A and for device is 14 the command is EF 3A). You'll create a keymove that references the new upgrade (using whatever setup code you defined on the Setup tab) and use the Hex Cmd from the Functions sheet.
jbraden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have three RS remotes, a couple of 2104's and a 2117. I am trying to set up johnsfine's 2104 extender with the LKP protocol on one of the 2104's to control these devices, so I need to translate all of my learned codes into upgrades or key moves. My hope is that I can set up macros on each of the device selection keys that will do the discrete power-on selection for the correct video source as well as other required device configurations. It sounds like the upgrade I downloaded from the Yahoo site is not using the correct protocol for this TV, since isn't using the RCA combo protocol. The functions for TV and Satellite are tightly integrated and share most of the same EFC's in this model. If you have any additional recommendations, they are appreciated. Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbraden wrote:
If you have any additional recommendations, they are appreciated. Thanks again!

The Robman wrote:
If you list the RCA device codes that you found via learning, we'll tell you what setup codes go with them.

johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbraden wrote:
It sounds like the upgrade I downloaded from the Yahoo site is not using the correct protocol for this TV, since isn't using the RCA combo protocol.

Rob gave a few good reasons above why KeyMoves are better than a combo protocol for the discrete input selection. I can't tell if you want the combo for something else or if you misunderstood Rob.

jbraden wrote:
The functions for TV and Satellite are tightly integrated and share most of the same EFC's in this model.

I guess that's the heart of what I don't understand about your device and what you're trying to do with it.

Ignoring the discrete input selects, does this device use one device number for both TV and SAT functions or are those split between two device numbers?

If it is split between two, then you may want a combo upgrade, or you may find that the split is logical and convenient, so that if you can afford two device modes for the TV, you can set it up as two setup codes and use the extender's dynamic HT to do the combining.
jbraden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you list the RCA device codes that you found via learning, we'll tell you what setup codes go with them.

The setup code I was using is 2047, which is the device upgrade on the Yahoo site that is supposedly for this TV. It is an extension of 0047, but does not include the functions to select inputs other than the TV tuner. It sounds like the best solution will be for me to create a new 2047 upgrade that uses the RCA Combo (Official) protocol and device 15 for all commands except for those that select the DVD (device 7), DirecTV (device 7), or VCR (device 14) inputs. When I get it working, I'll upload it to Yahoo. Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the 2104 and the 2117 have setup code SAT/0392 which is RCA device 7.

In either KM or IR you can define your device 7 commands as KeyMoves using that setup code.

Rob made a good suggestion that discrete input codes go in the device mode of the device whose signal the TV should select, rather than in the TV mode (even though the IR command is for the TV). If you follow that suggestion, then the KeyMove must be done in IR, not in KM.

Both the 2104 and the 2117 have setup code VCR/0060 which is RCA device 14.

Both the 2104 and the 2117 have setup code DVD/0522 which is RCA device 5.
jbraden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johsfine wrote
Quote:
I guess that's the heart of what I don't understand about your device and what you're trying to do with it.

Ignoring the discrete input selects, does this device use one device number for both TV and SAT functions or are those split between two device numbers?

If it is split between two, then you may want a combo upgrade, or you may find that the split is logical and convenient, so that if you can afford two device modes for the TV, you can set it up as two setup codes and use the extender's dynamic HT to do the combining.

This TV is a combination of a widescreen RCA television and a DTC-100 HDTV tuner. Using a standard RCA TV/0047 setup code most standard TV functions can be controlled, but they can also be controlled using a SAT/0392 setup code. If you compare the EFCs for these two codes, you'll see that most common functions use the same EFCs. It doesn't seem to matter which of these setup codes I use to change a satellite or OTA channel selection, for example. To switch between one tuner and the other though, requires the correct device to be selected with EFC 227 and the device code. I hope this helps clarify things. Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbraden wrote:
... device 15 for all commands except for those that select the DVD (device 7), DirecTV (device 7), or VCR (device 14) inputs.

I think you typo'd the DVD and DirecTV, or does the same code select both. I still don't think it's worth creating a combo upgrade just to include the input selects for all the reasons I specified earlier.

Here are the build in setup codes in both remotes that you can use to re-create the input selects as keymoves....

SAT/0855 = device code 4
DVD/0522 = device code 5
SAT/0392 = device code 7
VCR/0053 = device code 8
VCR/0054 = device code 12 (15-2104 only)
VCR/0202 = device code 13
VCR/0060 = device code 14
TV/0047 = device code 15
jbraden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Both the 2104 and the 2117 have setup code SAT/0392 which is RCA device 7.

In either KM or IR you can define your device 7 commands as KeyMoves using that setup code.

Rob made a good suggestion that discrete input codes go in the device mode of the device whose signal the TV should select, rather than in the TV mode (even though the IR command is for the TV). If you follow that suggestion, then the KeyMove must be done in IR, not in KM.

Both the 2104 and the 2117 have setup code VCR/0060 which is RCA device 14.

Both the 2104 and the 2117 have setup code DVD/0522 which is RCA device 5.

OK... I think I understand your recommendation. I should just set up keymoves to these RCA devices for the specific device select functions which require them and dump the TV/2047 upgrade altogether. I'll give that a try.

Rob, yes I did typo the DVD device... it is 5, not 7. I appreciate the full list of RCA device/setup code mappings. I should be all set now. Thanks again for all the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: