JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yamaha HTR-5930

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aTallGuyNH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Yamaha HTR-5930 Reply with quote

1. Device: Yamaha HTR-5930

2. Type of device: Receiver/Amplifier

3. Year: Unsure, ~2007-2008

4. JP1/UEI Remote model: Not sure, it's the standard Comcast Motorola DVR remote, like this.

5. Do you have a JP1 cable? No

6. Still have original remote? Yes

7. Checked the file section? Yes... tons there, but nothing re: the HTR-5930. I may not be searching properly though -- the contents of the Yamaha Master File were over my head.

8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes

9. Partially working setup code? Yes, Audio/0176 & 1176.

Based on 0176 I was able to determine that my mute EFC is 244, but the volume up/down codes (the only other ones I need) are not the same as 0176. They did something to the receiver's settings, but it seemed random -- a combination of changing device input and other settings. The numeric keys did do things that seemed to make sense re: changing the input source. I can go back and provide more precise detail if it would help.

For Audio/1176, it controlled the power, but vol up/down and mute did nothing at all. I didn't check other buttons.

10. Learning remote question? N/A

11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes, of the three setup code options available on the remote, only 0176 and 1176 worked for power off. The only other setup code on the remote was 0354, and that did not work.

I also tried Efcs for mute from the list below (culled from what seemed to be the most likely options from the Lookup Tool), going one-by-one using Setup + 00 + EFC, but none worked.

Audio 0081
Mute 182

Audio 0133
Mute 244

Audio 0143
Mute 248

Audio 0176 (on Comcast remote)
Mute 244

Audio 0186
Mute 077

Audio 0354 (on Comcast remote)
Mute 124

Audio 1023
Mute 34949

Audio 1176 (on Comcast remote)
Mute 243

Audio 1276
Mute 244

Audio 1331 & 1375
Mute 13509

I confirmed that I was doing the procedure properly by getting the power code for my DVD player to work using this method. I think I might have botched it after all on these though, because I may have had the AUX button still programmed with the DVD device setup code at the time. Based on subsequent testing, apparently this matters.

I can go back and try again if that would help, but it's late here and will have to wait for another day, I'm hoping maybe it's irrelevant though and someone with the right expertise can steer me in the right direction, since I'm pretty much just guessing at this point. Confused

What I'm really looking for is the ERCs for volume up/down since I've already determined that mute is 244. Having a particular setup code would be nice, but not essential. I also need to figure out how to get a single device key to have different buttons sending commands to two different device types, but I know this isn't the right venue for that question... It's a moot point anyway until I can nail down the codes.

Thanks for any help!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha HTR-5930 Reply with quote

aTallGuyNH wrote:

I also tried Efcs for mute from the list below (culled from what seemed to be the most likely options from the Lookup Tool), going one-by-one using Setup + 00 + EFC, but none worked.

I confirmed that I was doing the procedure properly by getting the power code for my DVD player to work using this method. I think I might have botched it after all on these though, because I may have had the AUX button still programmed with the DVD device setup code at the time. Based on subsequent testing, apparently this matters.

Yes, the setup code supplies most of the information for the signal. The frequency and timing pattern, along with what we call the fixed data are all controlled by the setup code. The EFC just supplies the part of the signal that changes for the button. If you use the EFC with a different setup code, you send a different signal.

So setting Audio/1176, you will need to override the current the values sent by setting up new EFC's

My guess is that these are the EFC's you are looking for
00247 Volume UP
00251 Volume Down
00244 Mute
00248 Power On
00246 Power Off

Quote:
I also need to figure out how to get a single device key to have different buttons sending commands to two different device types, but I know this isn't the right venue for that question... It's a moot point anyway until I can nail down the codes.

Thanks for any help!

Actually this fits right in. Keymoves remember the setup code that was used to create them. So if you need to combine two devices, you can temporarily set up the secondary device, create the keymoves, and then set up the device mode to use the primary device. The keymoves will still shoot the signals for the secondary device, all other keys will operate the primary device.

That's the limit of what you can do without a cable. With a cable, the comcast remote with the Red OK/Select button and the 3039 blink back signature, is actually a 4 device remote, but without a cable you can't get to the 4th device. This often causes problems with the "master power" button for owners of certain equipment. With a cable you can also have a multiplexer special keymove, to change setup codes on the fly.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
aTallGuyNH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vicky... it'll still be a few days before I'm able to try this, but I have a couple clarifying questions.

1) To do the key move then, I temporarily set up the Yamaha receiver under TV, move keys to AUX, then setup TV and AUX (DVD) like normal?

2) With the 4 device setup via cable, how does end user indicate that the command is for the fourth device?

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TallGuy, nice to see you back. You'll find that most posts here are answered within 24 hours, usually less than that.

aTallGuyNH wrote:
Thanks Vicky... it'll still be a few days before I'm able to try this, but I have a couple clarifying questions.

1) To do the key move then, I temporarily set up the Yamaha receiver under TV, move keys to AUX, then setup TV and AUX (DVD) like normal?

Setup something to be the Yamaha Code, it can be on any device since your remote uses 5 digit setup codes.
EFC keymove for a single device mode

For remotes that don't use 5 digit keymoves, its easier to do an EFC from one device to another.
EFC Keymove from another device

BTW once you have the setup code assigned to a device, you can test the code prior to attaching it to a key. Simply select the device mode with the Yamaha setup and then:

Press setup followed by the EFC.

Make sure the remote is pointed toward the device as you enter the last digit of the EFC.

Quote:

2) With the 4 device setup via cable, how does end user indicate that the command is for the fourth device?

Basically you can turn any unused key into the dev3 button with that macro. This is what is called a phantom device, since there isn't a button on the remote, but the remote thinks there is one.

This is a lot easier to visualize if you download and install RMIR and/or IR and the RDFs and images from the Main Tools Section.

After you install the software and tell the software where the RDFs are, then you can select the Comcast 1067Bx3 JP1.3 remote from the list. Look at our the "General Tab" on the Comcast 1067Bx3 JP1.3 remote, you'll see CBL, TV, AUX and dev3.

You simply navigate to the "Macros" tab and create a macro that with "dev3" in it. Pressing that macro key is essentially pressing dev3. Then you have access to another whole device setup and all the keymoves that you want.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
aTallGuyNH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked great!

I wound up using the key move for a single device since that seemed simpler to me.

FYI... there was an extra character in the URL that messed me up, might be good to edit the post for anyone else who might try to follow it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.pwhp?title=Program_Effective_Function_Code_%28EFC%29_for_a_single_device

In the course of trying to figure this out I wound up messing up the Global lock, and now I've lost some of the default settings that I guess Comcast programmed in there to begin with. For instance, out-of-the-box from Comcast the "Info" button controls the cable box even if the TV device button is pressed first, which is nice to have.

I'll probably take it back to them and exchange it vs. trying to mess with resetting it. I've seen that there are codes that will take care of "most", but somehow I'm thinking it won't go over well with the wife if I screw up the remote entirely and then we have to wait to get a new one. Smile

Thanks again for your help!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the messed up link. I'm trying to use a tablet and that is making things worse than usual.

Sounds like you turned off channel lock. Either that or you placed a key move on info. But if the channel and arrow and menu keys are all going to the TV, then you need to turn channel lock back on.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
aTallGuyNH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have tried that, but the channel up/down is just fine -- i.e. controls the cable box as expected.

Everything else either sends the signal to the TV (arrows, menu, and info are examples) or does nothing (swap & DVR buttons, probably others).

I'm not entirely sure if this is because I messed something up, or maybe it is the default setup from Comcast now. I just got this new remote and it might have been that way as delivered for all I know. My old one I had for several years (5-10) did send to cable box in TV mode, but I don't believe I did anything special to make it work that way.

It's not a big deal, but if you have thoughts/suggestions, I'm all ears of course! Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTallGuyNH wrote:

In the course of trying to figure this out I wound up messing up the Global lock, and now I've lost some of the default settings that I guess Comcast programmed in there to begin with. For instance, out-of-the-box from Comcast the "Info" button controls the cable box even if the TV device button is pressed first, which is nice to have.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure if this is because I messed something up, or maybe it is the default setup from Comcast now. I just got this new remote and it might have been that way as delivered for all I know. My old one I had for several years (5-10) did send to cable box in TV mode, but I don't believe I did anything special to make it work that way.

Bingo. It was the older button with the gray/ok select button that worked this way. The remote with the 3039 signature changed this, for everthing but the OK/Select, and then the very latest remote changed that too.

So you didn't screw anything up, its just the way of the new remote. Now personally I find the OK/Select button defaulting to cable to be a real show stopper, because you usually can't do any of the menu commands without it. So almost always supercede that with an EFC style keymove, to give me TV control.

However it sounds like you miss the old style Comcast setup. So if you want TV/Info to be Cable/Info, you just do a copy style keymove

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands#Copy_one_key_to_another_device

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: