JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Back after long absence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bart2brett

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Back after long absence Reply with quote

Hello everyone. My TV has died after 10+ years and I haven't had to make many adjustments to my remote in quite a while. I was wondering what might have changed. What is the latest greatest software?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot has changed.

RMIR has gone through major changes in the last couple of years, and is much more stable than it was a few years back.

If you are using learned signals, make sure you have DecodeIR 2.44, as this is the latest and greatest.

IR 8.04 was just posted to include IR 8.04

You also need to see if there are new extenders available for any of your remotes. Extenders can really enhance the JP1 experience.

For me though, the biggest difference in the last few years has been my education. I've taken to purchasing equipment based on the type of signals and the availability of discrete codes. I AVOID RC5 like the plague. I had a whole bunch of Philips/Magnavox TVs when I started. They were feature rich TVs with a great picture, but that horrible RC5 protocol made automation impossible Now I purchase equipment where the manufacturers offer and publish there discrete codes. What a difference!

Welcome back.
bart2brett

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually great to be back. I'll have to re-educate myself. Are there any programs available for a MAC? I had Windows the last time. I could use a windows machine if that's my only choice.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that RMIR is MAC friendly Its java based, and when I installed it, it added Mac OS X-i386, Mac OS X-ppc and Mac OS X-x86-64 and assorted Linux subdirectories, which would seem to indicate that its MAC and LINUX friendly, although I don't follow the non-windows systems.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the release announcement for RMIR 2.02a. It will run on MAC OSX.
In the past you may have used IR.exe in conjunction with upgrades built with KM.SLX or RemoteMaster.
RMIR combines the functionality of IR and RM together into one program.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RMIR on my MacBook Air with no issues, you need the USB interfaces (i.e. the old parallel interface won't work, but there haven't been new JP1 remotes for quite a while so they are getting scarce)

Unless you're doing extender development or creating new RDF's, all of the tools work fine on a mac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: