JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I Need to Modify My Remote AGAIN
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: I Need to Modify My Remote AGAIN Reply with quote

The gracious folks on this forum have helped me program my Comcast remote a couple of times in the past. It's always so long between occasions I forget everything I knew.

Yesterday my DVR failed and I had to get a replacement from Comcast. The problem is they have changed models. And, I was told I also had to change remotes. Physically the two remotes look almost identical. The only differences I see are:
o The original was silver and the new one is gray.
o The original had the word Comcast at the bottom and the new one has Xfinity.

I haven't been able to find the model number of the new one.

Here's what I've done so far.

Using IR I downloaded the configuration of the new remote and saved it to a file. The "Code" given for the DVR in the new remote is 1982. I then loaded the configuration that has been working perfectly in the old unit and changed the DVR Code to 1982 -- see screenshot https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6246962/Untitled-1.gif

Almost everything worked, but two important DVR buttons don't. I really don't understand a lot about this process, but I thought the Code carried all the data required to program a device. About all I could imagine is the difference has something to do with the model differences, but again, I don't understand much about this.

I replaced the configuration data for the new device using the file I had saved and it works correctly for the DVR again.

Can someone suggest a way to combine the earlier configuration for the new device (DVR) with the configuration for the axillary devices such I have a remote that does what I need again.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: I Need to Modify My Remote AGAIN Reply with quote

i_am_jim wrote:

Using IR I downloaded the configuration of the new remote and saved it to a file. The "Code" given for the DVR in the new remote is 1982. I then loaded the configuration that has been working perfectly in the old unit and changed the DVR Code to 1982 -- see screenshot https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6246962/Untitled-1.gif

Almost everything worked, but two important DVR buttons don't. I really don't understand a lot about this process, but I thought the Code carried all the data required to program a device. About all I could imagine is the difference has something to do with the model differences, but again, I don't understand much about this.

I don't happen to have a Virgin Comcast remote at the moment, so I'm going from memory. All of the cable company remotes have device upgrades in the upgrade area. Check the devices tab, on the image that worked and see if they have a 1982 upgrade in the devices tab. if there is an upgrade, check for the EFC for the two DVR buttons that work.

Quote:

Can someone suggest a way to combine the earlier configuration for the new device (DVR) with the configuration for the axillary devices such I have a remote that does what I need again.

We have the official UEI Cable/1982 upgrade here. But the cable company might be using a special Cable 1982 setup code. If there is a 1982 upgrade in the devices tab of the image that worked, then you can either set up keymoves, or you can use RMIR and save off the upgrade to use in the other configuration.

If you need a better diagnosis, post both IR files or RMIR files in OUR DIAGNOSIS section, and then we can take a look and see why this is not working for you.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
andyross

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it's the newer DCX series, it should still work. The newer ones support both the older Motorola codes, and the newer XMP. In fact, if you want the 30-second skip, you have to use the older code as there is no XMP equivalent.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both replies, but you don't realize how little I understand about this process. For one thing I've only worked with IR and Keymap-Master.

Blundering through without really knowing what I'm doing I downloaded the Upgrade you linked to. Put it in KM and tried to copy and paste into IR. It produced this error https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6246962/Pasting-into-IR.gif

Note the device model shown in the grab bar of IE is the old remote. As I said in my original post I don't know the model of this new remote, and I'm assuming it's the one in the Upgrade -- URC-6131 PVR. BTW does RDF mean remote model? If so, I assume this will change if I can successfully copy over the upgrade?

Next, assuming I'm finally able to copy over the upgrade, do I copy it onto the configuration that worked for the old remote, burn it to the new remote and I'm done?
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the only ID label I've found for the new remote https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6246962/Xfinity-Comcast-remote.jpg

I have begun a collection of the pictures I have posted here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8d05yg70qu5ujp7/uqyo0CsAeL

vickyg2003, I wasn't sure what you meant by
Quote:
the image that worked

Since no configuration has worked on the new remote, so I took this to mean the configuration that worked on the old silver remote. If so, there is no 1982 code listed in the Devices tab of that configuration.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim.

I want the IR file you downloaded from old remote, and the IR file you downloaded from the new remote.

We'll do the work for you, or we can tutor you through it. Either way having the two FILES will let us tell you what needs to be done.

Vicky
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I'll upload them to the Diagnosis Section
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11908 Setup that was working on old DVR. Read description.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11909 Unmodified code dumped from new gray Xfinity remote -- used with new Cisco RNG200N DVR
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this a try
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11910
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Give this a try
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11910
I think you've done it. Thank you very, very very much.

I haven't done a thorough check but all the major things seem to be working.

Initially, there was one issue. The sound control wasn't working. It was changing the TV based sound. The sound is from the Pioneer receiver. I changed the source of sound to the correct device and away she went.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_jim wrote:

Initially, there was one issue. The sound control wasn't working. It was changing the TV based sound. The sound is from the Pioneer receiver. I changed the source of sound to the correct device and away she went.

Doh! I always forget about the settings on the General tab.

I often say I prefer IR to RMIR, but this would have been a big job without RMIR.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was all over but no.

I have two copies of the same remote. The first of the two (the one I've been working on) the image/code installed without a hitch and is working. But, when I tried to install the same code on the second I get this error:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6246962/Clipboard01.jpg

When I try to download the contents of the remote into an empty/blank IR I get the same error message.

???????
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible your second remote is actually one of THESE?
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Is it possible your second remote is actually one of THESE?

I can't say, but the one I talking about won't download into IR and I thought the one in your link did. Also, I got two at the same time that look just alike and the other doesn't have this problem.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a 983 signature blink back. If the sig is 3039, it should work with IR.exe. If instead it is 2556, you'll have to use RMIR. However, don't try to upload an IR file intended for a 3039 remote into a 2556. The inner workings are quite different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: