JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there a tutorial video on JP1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raptor88

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Is there a tutorial video on JP1? Reply with quote

Is there a video anywhere that demos how a JP1 remote is programmed? I searched youtube and could not find any. I'm going to get into JP1 programming and just wanted to see a demo of someone programming a JP1 remote. Especially programming a macro into a button.

Thanks,
Raptor
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of, but that's a good idea. Our "How easy..." guides on the wiki are pretty good. It's very simple. You just pick buttons and commands from lists, then upload.
Raptor88

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Not that I know of, but that's a good idea. Our "How easy..." guides on the wiki are pretty good. It's very simple. You just pick buttons and commands from lists, then upload.

Hi mdavej,

It would be great if you or someone could post a tutorial/demo video on youtube on programming a macro into a remote. There's none at all right now. I know you like the RCA RCRP05BR remote and that's what I ordered so it would be especially nice to see a video programming that remote. Smile

Thanks,
Raptor
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that someone did post a very good video a few years back. But I can't remember who posted it.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Raptor88

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
It seems to me that someone did post a very good video a few years back. But I can't remember who posted it.

Hi Vickyg2003,

Hope someone remembers Smile . BTW, thanks for posting your excellent text tutorial on JP1 programming. I'm going through it now.

Raptor
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick demo of RM-IR a while back, but it isn't really a tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6mAHqeW3I

xnappo
Raptor88

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
I did a quick demo of RM-IR a while back, but it isn't really a tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB6mAHqeW3I

xnappo

Hi xnappo,

Thanks for the link to your demo video and thanks for taking the time to post it.

If you can rename it, maybe consider putting "JP1 remote programming" in the title so that it can be found when someone searches for "JP1", or "JP1 remote" or "JP1 programming". When I searched for "JP1" on youtube, I found a lot of hits on "JP1" totally unrelated to JP1 programming so adding "remote" and/or "programming" in the title might help folks find your demo.

Now if someone can post a tutorial video, that would be "extremely" helpful to newbies. I could not find a single video after quite a bit of Google or Youtube searching.

Thanks,
Raptor
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, was that really back in 2010.

After viewing it again, I can say there were lots of changes. Graham was a busy boy! Its a shame that there were only 63 views. Your promotion of your video missed the mark. I thought it was an excellent video.

I think we should do a couple of "commercials" and post links in the non-JP1 forum.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that video was really just intended for a very small audience to explain why I felt that the RM-IR roadmap was so powerful.

Let's put together an outline of good video topics - I can certainly do a few...

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Pooh..

I thought we did put an outline together and that I had committed to doing one of these, in writing! I really must quit drinking! Rolling Eyes So I've been working like crazy to get this done prior to leaving for FL.

I chose extenders as my topic (of course). I'm a little miffed that youtube must think extenders have something to do with sex, because all I am seeing all the time is cleavage and butts since I started working on this project!! Just look at the URL they assigned my video! Mad

This was not something I was looking forward to doing. Heck, it takes me over an hour, to set up a simple "Hi, this is Vicky, leave a message", on my phone, because every time I start feeling the pressure to record, all I say is umm umm umm, can't even remember my own name. I felt like Colin Firth, in The King's Speech while I was making this. With this I had the added pressure of having to use both my hands, and stay within the 10 minutes. So this has had me in a tizzy.

A lot of stress went into this production. So PLEASE take a look! Laughing

Here it is

JP1 Extenders an Overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MASuckRDg
Raptor88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Oh Pooh..

I thought we did put an outline together and that I had committed to doing one of these, in writing! I really must quit drinking! Rolling Eyes So I've been working like crazy to get this done prior to leaving for FL.

I chose extenders as my topic (of course). I'm a little miffed that youtube must think extenders have something to do with sex, because all I am seeing all the time is cleavage and butts since I started working on this project!! Just look at the URL they assigned my video! Mad

This was not something I was looking forward to doing. Heck, it takes me over an hour, to set up a simple "Hi, this is Vicky, leave a message", on my phone, because every time I start feeling the pressure to record, all I say is umm umm umm, can't even remember my own name. I felt like Colin Firth, in The King's Speech while I was making this. With this I had the added pressure of having to use both my hands, and stay within the 10 minutes. So this has had me in a tizzy.

A lot of stress went into this production. So PLEASE take a look! Laughing

Here it is

JP1 Extenders an Overview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MASuckRDg

Nice job Vicky, though extenders are beyond me. I did a search on youtube for kicks and "jp1" finds too much junk but not your tutorial. "jp1 programming" did not find your tutorial. "jp1 remote" or "jp1 extender" did find it. If every youtube tutorial has the key words "jp1 programming" in the title, then they could all be found together.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raptor88 wrote:

Nice job Vicky, though extenders are beyond me

Well, the video was supposed to make you curious, and to dispel the feeling that extenders are beyond you. So I didn't do the kind of job that I was hoping.

One of the things that makes me shake my head is how few people use the extenders. Although I shouldn't be surprised. They had to drag me kicking and screaming into the extender use, and that was only because I was totally out of keymove/macro space. With the new flash remotes that won't be an issue. Their keymove/macro space is huge.

In the right hands, an extender can really make the remote extremely user friendly. Of course, most people don't get the most out of extenders. I know I wouldn't have, if I hadn't gotten involved with ElizabethD. She sent me a test file when I was writing my first modern full featured extender. It took me a long time to figure out what she was doing in the file. Then the blinders came off.

Quote:

I did a search on youtube for kicks and "jp1" finds too much junk but not your tutorial. "jp1 programming" did not find your tutorial. "jp1 remote" or "jp1 extender" did find it. If every youtube tutorial has the key words "jp1 programming" in the title, then they could all be found together.

Hmm, I wonder what youtube uses its keywords for. I did change the title to JP1 Remote Control Programming an Extender Overview per your suggestion. Hopefully google will pick that up later today.

Raptor88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hmm, I wonder what youtube uses its keywords for. I did change the title to JP1 Remote Control Programming an Extender Overview per your suggestion. Hopefully google will pick that up later today.

I just did a search on youtube using "jp1 programming". Your extender tutorial shows up now.

Raptor88
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky, thanks for the video!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris isn't it. Nice to see you becoming a forum regular contributor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: