JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New protocol for Expressvu VDSL Tuner box?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: New protocol for Expressvu VDSL Tuner box? Reply with quote

I've had my One For All 8811 remote for several weeks now, and I think I've got the hang of using it with IR and KM to do keymoves, macros, etc. etc.

Now, I'd like to get it working with my television tuner box. It's an Expressvu VDSL receiver made by Next Level Communications, Model RGW2000 (Video Digital Subscriber Line is similar to satellite, only the data comes from my phone line instead of a satellite dish).

I've tried both the Expressvu and Next Level codes (0775 & 0869) for Satellite/DBS devices in the OFA manual, but neither of them work.

I've learned as many codes as I could into the 8811. I've put the file into the Yahoo Groups folder here

I noticed there's a file in the directory called NextLevelComm.zip, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

I'm guessing this uses a new protocol, since in IR the learned codes have a lot of "Gap" and "Asynch" timing information listed in the Protocol area.

Since I'd like to assign EFCs to the buttons instead of learned codes, is there a way to convert the protocol info the remote has learned into a protocol IR recognizes?

thanks,

james
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I would guess it is this protocol:

{38.5k,1000}<1000,-1000|1000,-3000>(F:6,U:5,D:5)+

Based on Expressview's relationship with dish. But the commands appear to be LSB first and different values than the generic Dish commands.

Here are the OBC's of your learned commands (all are unit=7 and device=11)

11 c+
16 c-
01 R
29 L
30 Guide
26 Exit
35 U
32 D
12 sel
34 menu
39 info
06 pwr
05 prev
15 1
17 2
18 3
23 4
25 5
27 6
10 7
09 8
14 9

I'll try to create a device and protocol upgrade for this within a few days.
jamesD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Jon!

There's a few more buttons on the remote (0, Page Up & Dn, Day Up & Dn etc.) that I could learn into the 8811 if you need more info.

Also, the learned ch +/- buttons don't repeat (the ones on the original remote do), but I guess I can iron that out later.

I probably should also mention that the PWR button on the original remote turns on/off both my Panasonic TV and the VDSL box (this was programmed into the original remote), but the learned PWR button controls only the VDSL box.

thanks,

james
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
Right now I would guess it is this protocol:

{38.5k,1000}<1000,-1000|1000,-3000>(F:6,U:5,D:5)+

Did you overlook Lead-in and lead-out? Also I think it alternates between two different lead-out times. The first varies around 40m and is exactly enough to reach a running total of 100m. The second is harder to figure out because it often exceeds the 130m maximum that a UEI remote can learn.

{38.5k,1000}<1000,-1000|1000,-3000>(5,-3,F:6,U:5,D:5,1,^100m,5,-3,F:6,U:5,D:5,1,130m)+

I hope (unlike the other one you're working on) this one isn't actually picky about that lead-out alternation.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leadout time is definitely based on the total length of the signal.

Here's a quickie upgrade that I threw together, give it a whirl and let me know if it works, if it does I'll post the files (this is for a URC-8811)

Upgrade Code 0 = 3F D0 (SAT/2000)
FF 00 B6 14 81 2F 1F 00 0F 77 B7 17 67 27 AF 6F
8F 2F F7 9F A7 87 CF 1B 5F
End

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 FF (S3C8+)
3C 90 21 8B 12 F7 45 05 06 01 FB 05 C1 01 EE 01
E6 B1 BC 09 CD 05 C4 8D 01 46
End
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

Did you overlook Lead-in and lead-out? Also I think it alternates between two different lead-out times. The first varies around 40m and is exactly enough to reach a running total of 100m. The second is harder to figure out because it often exceeds the 130m maximum that a UEI remote can learn.

{38.5k,1000}<1000,-1000|1000,-3000>(5,-3,F:6,U:5,D:5,1,^100m,5,-3,F:6,U:5,D:5,1,130m)+

I hope (unlike the other one you're working on) this one isn't actually picky about that lead-out alternation.

That will teach me to decode signals when I'm half asleep Smile
jamesD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob.

I copied your upgrade code and the protocol code into IR, and assigned my "CBL" button to the code 2000 you assigned to the upgrade. However, the VDSL box doesn't respond to any of the buttons when in CBL mode.

I've learned the rest of the buttons on the original remote into the CBL device of the 8811 in this file. The buttons are assigned as follows:

0 - 0
1/2 - Page Up/Dn
3/4 - Day Up/Dn
5/6 - A/B Device Select
7 - Call ID
8 - PPV
9 - Last Ch

thanks for your help so far,

james
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, I had LSB-COMP set in KM when it should have been just LSB, try this upgrade with the protocol I posted before. (I changed it to VCR mode to include more buttons) ...

Upgrade Code 0 = 1F D0 (VCR/2000)
FF 00 BE EA FE E1 D0 E0 24 F0 88 48 E8 98 D8 50
90 70 D0 08 60 04 58 A8 78 B8 54 28 68 80 30 14
C4 E4 A0 18 94 38 F8
End

Here's the KM file: Next_Level_ExpressVu.txt
Here's an IR file for you to test: NextLevel_test.txt
And finally, here's the PB file: Next_Level.txt
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested these signals myself (by capturing them with another learning remote) and they match, the only remaining question whether they should repeat or not.

I've set these signals to repeat, whereas yours mainly seemed to repeat just twice, so I don't know if that's the way you learned them or if they should be like that. If this upgrades causes a weird effect from your device, I'll turn off the repeat.
jamesD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news...those codes work! I haven't had a chance to fully test out every command yet, but all the basic (and important ones work). The arrow buttons and Ch +/- repeat just fine.

Thanks for your help Rob - now my remote is almost complete!

So what's this protocol going to be called?

edit: I see you've called it S3C8+ - just wondering where that came from...

james
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear. Btw, you included two "last ch" commands, in the first file there's a command learned to the PREV button, and in the second file you said it's learned to the '9' button.

S3C8 is the name of the processor used in these remotes, it tells KM which remotes to use it with. S3C8+ is how we refer to the newer versions of the S3C8 remotes.
jamesD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're pretty astute! Indeed, in the first file, the "fav channel" button on the original remote was learned to the "last ch" button on the 8811.

In the second file, the "last ch" button on the original remote was learned to button "9" on the 8811.

For some reason, VPT doesn't work with code 2000 (it works for all the other devices though). I'll fool around with it later on tonight to see if I can fix this.

thanks,

james
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesD wrote:
For some reason, VPT doesn't work with code 2000 (it works for all the other devices though). I'll fool around with it later on tonight to see if I can fix this.
VPT broke because I used VCR mode rather than SAT mode (to get more buttons included into the upgrade). But if you look carefully, in the test IR file I created for you, I programmed three keymoves to fix the volume in SAT mode.
b1harlem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: ir code for vdsl box Reply with quote

searching high and low for the ir code for this vdsl box
i have the original remote and i am new to j1
trying to get this working with my sling
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: ir code for vdsl box Reply with quote

b1harlem wrote:
searching high and low for the ir code for this vdsl box

There are links to the upgrade just a few posts above yours. These links take you to the old Yahoo group, but the files are still there. Youll also find a copy of the upgrade file in the current file section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: