JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Restoring a dead 8910 key

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Restoring a dead 8910 key Reply with quote

I guess this has been asked before, but: Has anyone had luck trying to get a dead key working?

I have my older 8910 where the down-arrow is dead. I have tried cleaning it a few times, but it's reached the point where it doesn't work at all. I did a test where I remounted the PCB onto the base to supply power while disassembled. I put the keypad over it and other buttons will work fine on the down-arrow pad, but that button will not work on anything. I have to assume there is something wrong with the coating.

The PCB has gold fingers, not carbon tracks. Brushing something metal across works.

Is there any way to replace the coating? Any way to glue something like aluminum foil to the bottom?
jetstar52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some suggestions here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13043&highlight=
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try super-gluing aluminum foil, but the glue actually didn't stick. I didn't try double-sided tape.

For now, what I did was stick a flat-headed pin into it. It generally works OK. The remote is now mainly just a backup to the RCA (which I started using when the 8910 started going bad.)
DasBub

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Caikote-44, but I haven't used it personally... yet. I tried a knock-off version and it worked for a bit. I probably didn't let it cure for the full recommended time, so that might have been the problem.

I've also tried the foil tape method with some success; it's a real PITA to cut out, peel, and stick all of those little pieces. The foil I used was for sealing air ducts, so it was a bit thick and didn't cut easily.

One thing I've been looking for is tiny, round stickers with a metal surface... I know that they make little star-shaped ones for kids to decorate with, but no idea if they make 6-7mm circular ones. To the Arts & Crafts store!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: