JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can I use a IR file created for my 8810 with my 8910.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bowhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Can I use a IR file created for my 8810 with my 8910. Reply with quote

My files are incomplete and mostly all I have left are ir files. I was using an URC8810 that I had setup for the bedroom for several devices. I want to retire the 8810 and use my 8910 instead.

When I try to load the file (done for the 8810) to the remote, I get a memory fault error. and I do not see the device prots loaded.

Question....is there an EASY way to take this old 8810 IR file and get it to work on my 8910.

If not...is there a guide to converting from one to the other.

Thanks Again....
I understand if you do not wish to answer...I am asking for the easy way out. It has been 6 years since I last used IR or RM or KM....and rusty is not the right description.
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot simply put an 8810 profile in an 8910. You will need to update any custom devices using KM or RM, and change the remote to 8910. You may need to alter a few keys if needed (luckily, the two have nearly identical layouts.) Then, load the updated devices.

If you have an extender, you need to use the proper 8910 extender and then recreate everything. It's even more confusing as the 8810 and 8910 have a different extender 'language'.

When I updated from an 8910 to an RCA RCRP05B (totally different remotes!), I opened two copies of IR. One with the old, and one with the new, and recreated everything. It was somewhat easy in this case as both extenders have the same language.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "easy" way as such since there are just so many different remotes available but it needn't be too painful.

Different remotes have different buttons and memory so you will need to note down things like KeyMoves, Macros etc. but you can get most of the codes from an IR file for one remote (the source) and use them to create a new upgrade file for another (target) remote since the signals sent to your device (TV, DVD etc.) are the same.

My preferred method is to create a spreadsheet containing buttons and codes for all my devices that I can then keep for future use. You don't necessarily need to do this - you can open two instances of RMIR and copy and paste between the two, you can copy from RMIR to Notepad (or whatever) and thence to a new IR file - but I find a spreadsheet easier because it keeps all your codes in one place and you can add to it later if you find out any new codes such as discretes, factory reset codes etc.

Use RMIR to open an IR file for your source remote. Before you do anything else now, save this file under a new name so you don't mess up the original.

In the General tab, look at the devices present and decide if you still need them all.

Go to the KeyMoves tab and either note them all down (if there aren't too many) or use your computer's PrintScreen button or equivalent to take a screenshot copy of them. Print this copy or save trees and just keep an image of it on your computer.

Do the same for Macros, Special Functions etc. You may or may not be able to directly use them in your new remote (be prepared to modify them) but the information can certainly help.

Now go to the Devices tab and select each device in turn. Note that some of them might not be "real" devices if you use an extender on your source remote since the extender creates devices (such as TV/1800) for its own use. When you double-click on a device it will open up an RM window and you can now go to the Functions tab in RM and see the buttons and functions for that device. Hold the left mouse button down (apologies but I don't know what Mac users do here), drag the mouse down and across and select everything in the grid. Copy it and paste it into your spreadsheet (or directly over to another instance or RMIR or Notepad or wherever).

When building your IR file for the target remote you create a new IR file specific to your target remote (i.e. you need to tell it what your new remote is, save it under a new name) and then create the new devices in turn and assign them Setup codes and keep the protocols etc. Some remotes will not have the protocol built-in and you'll need to find it.

Using IR, for each device, you paste in the buttons and functions (just paste all the functions that you have) and then add in any from your list of KeyMoves off your source remote.

Then you go to the Layout tab to assign functions to buttons for your target remote. RMIR will work out what buttons on your new remote are "native" and what are assigned as KeyMoves.

Now you have new upgrades for the devices your target remoteyou can create and save your new IR file and then upload it to your target remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: