JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comcast Remote and Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaryK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked in the registry editor and for my interface cable all it reads is ...

\device\VCP0 <-- COM7

Device Manager says there are two RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4 and COM5)

Not sure how comfortable I feel playing with the registry. Sure don't want to mess things up on my PC.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this fiddling with Portmon is just a way to help diagnose whatever is wrong with downloading from the remote, although there is a slight chance that whatever is messing up Portmon is also messing up RMIR.

If you don't actually use a Blackberry with your computer, I would uninstall the virtual ports in Device Manager. Otherwise, I'll try to generate some software to diagnose this in a different way. It will probably take a few days.
CaryK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG,

Bingo!!! Got Portmon to work after I uninstalled the BB virtual ports in Device Manager. That did the trick. Great suggestion!

Here's the file link with the data log ...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11700

Hope this helps. This is kinda like you helping me land a jumbo jet while you're in the control tower. Hahaha

Looks like we're making progress again. Thanks!!!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This download proceeded normally for 1189 bytes. We expect a total of 3072. You can see the timeout at line 97, where the remote is asked to send 128 bytes, but it only returns 37. The good news is that the data looks fine up until it stopped reading.

Please do 3 or 4 more sessions, saving separate Portmon logs for each. You can bundle them into a zip file and post them (by editing the upload) to the same link that you already used--so we don't waste several link numbers. I want to see if the failure occurs at the same place each time, or if it is more random.

In the meantime, make sure that the connections to the remote are tight and the batteries are up to snuff.
CaryK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
This download proceeded normally for 1189 bytes. We expect a total of 3072. You can see the timeout at line 97, where the remote is asked to send 128 bytes, but it only returns 37. The good news is that the data looks fine up until it stopped reading.

Please do 3 or 4 more sessions, saving separate Portmon logs for each. You can bundle them into a zip file and post them (by editing the upload) to the same link that you already used--so we don't waste several link numbers. I want to see if the failure occurs at the same place each time, or if it is more random.

In the meantime, make sure that the connections to the remote are tight and the batteries are up to snuff.

You're amazing!!! It was the batteries that were the problem. I checked them in my battery tester and sure enough one was really low and the other was almost dead even though they seemed to operate my TV just fine.

I'm now able to see codes in RMIR so I'm in business! I guess the next thing now is figuring out how to take advantage of this so I can program the remote for use with my Yamaha RX-V373 receiver like I originally planned. Just glad this is up and running now.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sticking with me over the last week or so to get this resolved. Sure says a lot about your dedication and patience as well as your knowledge. As an engineer, that's something that means a lot to me. Just love your "failure is not an option" attitude! You should have worked for the space program.

Where would you recommend I start to better learn JP1 and what it can do for me? Is programming my remote pretty straightforward from here?

Also, would you recommend I delete/uninstall Portmon or is it ok to leave it on my system?

Thank again, 3FG ... you're the BEST!!! Smile

Cary
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start HERE if you haven't already. And as a newbie, if you find the documentation lacking or confusing, please let us know. You can even edit it yourself.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Portmon isn't an installable program--it's just an executable file. I believe that it does temporarily hook into the IOCTL requests, but the next time you boot your computer, the hooks will be gone. No particular reason to delete the files.

I should have mentioned the batteries 3 days ago....... Embarassed

For the most part, JP1 is pretty easy (I think). Besides the link mdavej posted, be sure to use the Yamaha 4DEV executor. I mentioned earlier that this upgrade is a good place to start. To get the Yamaha codes for any function, try RXV-671-IR/RS232/IP at http://www.awe-europe.com/ir_232.html. It will probably be a close match for your receiver.
CaryK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I think that Portmon isn't an installable program--it's just an executable file. I believe that it does temporarily hook into the IOCTL requests, but the next time you boot your computer, the hooks will be gone. No particular reason to delete the files.

I should have mentioned the batteries 3 days ago....... Embarassed

For the most part, JP1 is pretty easy (I think). Besides the link mdavej posted, be sure to use the Yamaha 4DEV executor. I mentioned earlier that this upgrade is a good place to start. To get the Yamaha codes for any function, try RXV-671-IR/RS232/IP at http://www.awe-europe.com/ir_232.html. It will probably be a close match for your receiver.

What should I be looking for in these files? There seems to be multiple folders and I'm not sure which ones I'm supposed to use.

Is the Yamaha executor just to obtain codes for my Comcast remote?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the spreadsheet in Yamaha_Spec_UK_Ireland\YNCA\ircode. You'll need to convert from hexadecimal to decimal. I think the HDMI signals for ID1 are all type y1. You'll need the Yamaha executor to enter in these type y1 signals.

Load up the upgrade I linked, and read the text box in RMIR, which may help understand the -y signals. Note that in the spreadsheet, Power On/Off is given as 7E-2A. That's device 126, OBC 42. By convention, these 16 bits determine all 32 bits of a NEC signal. The 2nd byte is the complement of the 1st byte(7E), and the 4th byte is the complement of the 3rd byte (2A). Look at DecodeIR.html or the similar (but slightly outdated) info in the Wiki to see the structure of a standard NEC signal. By contrast, the HDMI1 signal is 7A-4738. Here both the 3rd and 4th bytes are written, and we see that 47 and 38 add to 7F rather than FF. The "rule" that the 3rd and 4th bytes should be complements has been broken, and we call this the y1 style.

BTW, lots of NEC signals use a non-complement for the 2nd byte, and we describe that as the subdevice. Yamaha is one of very few companies that don't maintain the complement aspect of the 3rd and 4th bytes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: