JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comcast Remote and Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaryK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Comcast Remote and Yamaha RX-V373 Receiver Reply with quote

Just wanted to say this forum is AWESOME!!! I recently purchased a Yamaha Home Theater system (w/RX-V373 Receiver) and wanted to use the Comcast remote (Red OK/Select button - 1067BX3) to control the TV, cable box and receiver. When I tried to set up the receiver with the remote using the Comcast supplied codes (30176 and 31176) it was no joy. The Comcast technical support wasn't much help. To say I was frustrated would be an understatement.

Then I happened on this forum (yeah!!!). After reading about the ability to program keys using EFC, I was able to get the volume (Up and Dn) and the Power (On) to work like a charm. Still struggling though with the following and would appreciate any help available ...

1. How to have the "POWER" on the Comcast remote turn on/off the receiver instead of it just turning it "On" when the "All On" button is pressed. Is that achieved using the "250" code (Power Toggle) instead of "248" (Power On)?

2. Are there codes for the HDMI inputs (1-4) on the receiver? I couldn't find them on the 0176 AMP file (http://www.hifi-remote.com/codes2/amp_0176.shtml) or the advanced code file (http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin/ueic.cgi?amp_0176).

Again, thanks for creating such a great place to share knowledge about this "black art"!!!

Cary
Mr Plastic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Advance Code Reply with quote

Hi CaryK

I am perhaps not the best to help you but I'll try and perhaps some one will follow up if I am unable to get what you want done. First I recommend you reading this thread to get a grasp on JP1 programming.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1009

But to your immediate problem as far as I can understand you have programmed your AUX key to your Yamaha receiver. I assume this because you have volume control and power via the all on button. The Comcast remote you are using is a JP1.3 which requires a 5 digit EFC to program the functions you want. This is similar to a key move and should work if the proper device code is assign to your AUX key. I assume you found Rob's page on using this
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml
So using the set up button and the AUX device try these EFCs for that particular amp, which I got from a upgrade in the file section.
Power toggle(on/off) is 36773
HDMI input 1 is 58087
input 2 is 24551
input 3 is 24807
input 4 is 40423

These advance function codes should work if the correct device code is on the AUX button. One problem of upgrading like this is you run out of memory. By using a device upgrade via a JP1 upgrade you can use memory more efficiently. But hopefully this will get you started.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you would need to assign 00250 to the Power button to get a power toggle function--if, that is, the RX-V373 responds to that as power toggle.
In recent years, Yamaha has mostly used a new set of Power signals. Older receivers use NEC1 device 122, functions 29 (00248), 30 (00246), and 31 (00250) for On, Off, and Toggle. Newer receivers use device 126, with function 42 for toggle. Some receivers respond to both. Also, so far as I know, HDMI inputs all use device 122, but using a slight variant of the NEC1 IR protocol.

The Comcast remote isn't able to send device 126 IR signals nor the variant signals for HDMI, unless it is programmed with a JP1.3 cable. So if 250 works, great. The old input signals (CD, tape, VCR, etc) might be routed to HDMI, so try 00120, 00118, 00245, 00122, 00100, 00058, 00116, and 00104
CaryK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll get that a try. Just for my own understanding, what is the Power Toggle supposed to do? Does it work exactly like the red "Power" button on the Yamaha remote (i.e. push it once to power on the receiver and then push it again to power it off)?

Really appreciate the quick replies to my post. Much appreciated from both of you!!!
Mr Plastic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Power toggle Reply with quote

Hi Cary,

Yes toggle means it can turn it on and off. I have 2 other yamaha receivers and they both have a "stand by" button to turn the receiver off. Discrete functions as opposed to toggle just turn on or off so if you create a series of functions (a marco) you can always turn on components or off. That way if you want to turn on your amp & dvd player while your tv is on if the marco is all discrete functions you won't inadvertly turn off the tv.

Joe
CaryK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Power toggle Reply with quote

Mr Plastic / 3FG,

Well I got the chance to try out the codes both of you suggested for my Yamaha RX-V373 receiver. The HDMI codes (58087, 24551, 24807, and 40423) didn't work. Same with the Power Toggle (36773 and 00250). I also tried the other input codes that 3FG listed but only the 00118 (Tuner) and 00104 (V-Aux) worked.

I think the real issue I'm running into is that when I push "All On" to power up the cable box, TV and receiver (using HDMI2), everything seems to work fine until 10 secs after everything is on. Then the receiver switches to AV4 and I lose the sound for the TV in which case I need to grap the Yamaha remote and switch the input back to HDMI2.

I was hoping I could program HDMI2 into my Comcast remote so I wouldn't have to use the Yamaha remote but maybe I need to contact Yamaha to see why the receiver is automatically switching to AV4 rather then stay on the HDMI2 input.

If either or you have any more suggestions regarding codes, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help!!!

Cary
Mr Plastic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the club Reply with quote

Hi Cary,

I was hoping I could program HDMI2 into my Comcast remote so I wouldn't have to use the Yamaha remote but maybe I need to contact Yamaha to see why the receiver is automatically switching to AV4 rather then stay on the HDMI2 input.

I recommend to read up on JP1 remotes and device codes to understand why the efcs didn't work. I use a universal remote and a JP1 cable to set things up. With the cable you can do so much more than you can with the set up button. If the remote has the right set up code its not such a problem but with the cable you can create set up codes and resolve the problems you are facing.
Another way around is to buy a learning remote but I enjoy the ability to do more than just teach the remote functions. With JP1 you can do so much more.
But long story short you will waste your time going back to yamaha about your comcast remote. If you buy a cable you could create a device code that would work.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of future readers of this thread, the 5 digit EFCs (ones that don't start with 00) mentioned in the second post of this thread have no chance of working with a Comcast remote. Those EFCs refer to the NEC 4DEV Combo executor, and the Comcast remote doesn't have that executor built in. One needs a cable to use these.

The RCRP05B does have the required executor and fixed data in setup code Audio 0376, so it can be programmed manually to send Power toggle as well as the power discretes for newer Yamaha receivers. The URC 8820N, using slightly different EFCs with Audio 1476 can also be manually programmed for this. I know of no remote which can be manually programmed to send the HDMI input commands.
CaryK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
For the benefit of future readers of this thread, the 5 digit EFCs (ones that don't start with 00) mentioned in the second post of this thread have no chance of working with a Comcast remote. Those EFCs refer to the NEC 4DEV Combo executor, and the Comcast remote doesn't have that executor built in. One needs a cable to use these.

The RCRP05B does have the required executor and fixed data in setup code Audio 0376, so it can be programmed manually to send Power toggle as well as the power discretes for newer Yamaha receivers. The URC 8820N, using slightly different EFCs with Audio 1476 can also be manually programmed for this. I know of no remote which can be manually programmed to send the HDMI input commands.

3FG,

Can the Comcast remote be programmed for HDMI using JP1? I already ordered a RCRP05B remote and expect it sometime next week. Will I be able to program that remote for the HDMI codes? And if so, how (i.e. JP1)?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, either the Comcast or the RCRP05B can send the HDMI signals if you have a JP1.3 flash cable. You would use the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor, because it can send the necessary variant NEC IR signals. The free RMIR (RemoteMaster) software is used to program the remote.

The most cost effective JP1.3 flash cable is one that you do some very light assembly to change the supplied 6X1 connector to a 3X2 connector.
CaryK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Yes, either the Comcast or the RCRP05B can send the HDMI signals if you have a JP1.3 flash cable. You would use the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor, because it can send the necessary variant NEC IR signals. The free RMIR (RemoteMaster) software is used to program the remote.

The most cost effective JP1.3 flash cable is one that you do some very light assembly to change the supplied 6X1 connector to a 3X2 connector.

Thanks 3FG!

Just ordered the parts for the JP1.3 cable from Mouser. Looking forward to trying to figure out how to program my Comcast remote and RCRP05B using it. I'm sure I'll need a little help once I get it but have certainly appreciated all I've gotten so far from you and Mr Plastic.

This is actually pretty interesting learning to do all this. Thanks again!!!

Btw, where do I find the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RemoteMaster distribution contains a file called protocols.ini which contains descriptive data about a large number of executors. Some of these are descriptions of official UEI executors, and others are ones generated by us enthusiasts. The Yamaha Combo executor is included.
CaryK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG,

Ok, so far I've downloaded and installed the following onto my PC per the intsructions ...

- Java version 6.0 or later
- RemoteMaster.v2.02a.exe
- Maps and Images required for RM
- RDF files needed for IR and RM

I couldn't find Setup.vbs in the RemoteMaster directory so I wasn't able to run that to set up the files in my Program Start and associate the files. Also, when I started up RemoteMaster, I wasn't sure what to open. Guess I'm stuck right now trying to figure out what to do next.

Thanks,
Cary
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you don't have a cable yet, the possible activities are more limited. However, do File/New/RemoteImage, then select the RCA RCRP05B. On the resulting screen, you can set things like VPT. Or you can go to the macro tab and store macros. Upgrades are done on the device tab, either by constructing one yourself or by opening an exisiting upgrade. Here's one existing upgrade that uses the NEC-y1 signals.
CaryK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Since you don't have a cable yet, the possible activities are more limited. However, do File/New/RemoteImage, then select the RCA RCRP05B. On the resulting screen, you can set things like VPT. Or you can go to the macro tab and store macros. Upgrades are done on the device tab, either by constructing one yourself or by opening an exisiting upgrade. Here's one existing upgrade that uses the NEC-y1 signals.

Hi 3FG,

Well I finally got my cable and put it together. Ran the "jp1xtest.exe" program and everything seemed ok. I got a good output from the test so it looks like my PC recognized the cable and remote during the test.

So I tried running RemoteMaster IR and ran into a problem with the program recognizing my Comcast remote. When I plug in the interface cable and select "Download from Remote", a dialog box comes up that says "Ambiguous Remote". Only two remotes are listed: AccessHD URC-60260 and Comcast DVR URC-1067Bx3 JP1.3". Once I select the Comcast remote, the program just seems to keep saying "Downloading" at the bottom even after several minutes.

I already downloaded the Maps and Images as well as the RDFs and placed them into directories. Their paths were selected in the RM IR "File > Set Directory"

Guess I'm at a standstill right now trying to figure out where I go from here and why I'm not able to see the codes in IR. Are the Comcast remotes JP1.2 and not JP1.3 like my cable? Does that create a version incompatibility?

Any suggestions you might have would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Cary
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: