JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR Question/not Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim978

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: IR Question/not Problem Reply with quote

I recently got terrific help with an RM problem (*.rmdu files not saved). Switching back and forth between RM and Windows 7 Explorer to see if and when my *.rmdu files were saved, I discovered that Explorer did not show my newer *.ir files, and older *.ir files were listed with stale dates. Worried that I had lost work, I went into IR and (lo and behold) when I clicked on Files/Open everything was there in the correct directory and completely up to date.

I thought maybe these were hidden files, but I checked Explorer and it is set to show hidden files. As I said, I don't seem to have a problem, but I'm certainly confused as to why Explorer doesn't show the same files as IR.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are trying to save data in the "Program Files" folder. Windows 7 uses "hidden stores" in these areas. The data changes are not in that directory, but in some other hidden folder in the Users area.

Change the save location to a folder that you have rights to.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Jim978

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Not a Problem? Reply with quote

vickyg2003,

Thanks for your response. I've been comparing IR on my Windows 7 machine with IR on my old Windows XP machine. Both machines have version 8.03. The XP Export Output Path is C:\Program Files\JP1\IR803 while the W7 path is C:\Program Files (x86)\JP1\IR803. Using my W7 PC, when I select File/Open in IR, the box shows all my .ir files (including the new ones) exactly where they should be ... in C:\Program Files (x86)\JP1\IR803. When I look at the same directory in Windows Explorer, none of the new files are there. I checked to make sure I could see any hidden files, and they were definitely displayed.

Looking at the IR803 Properties using Windows 7 Explorer, the number of files listed is the same as what I see. So, I searched the entire computer (not just C:\) for .ir files using Windows Explorer. Search found all of the old IR803 .ir files but none of the new ones.

For some reason I can't fathom, my new .ir files exist for IR programming purposes, but they don't exist otherwise as far as Windows 7 is concerned. I'm wondering if this is unique to IR or if this is a Windows 7 "feature" that is more widespread.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Not a Problem? Reply with quote

Jim978 wrote:

For some reason I can't fathom, my new .ir files exist for IR programming purposes, but they don't exist otherwise as far as Windows 7 is concerned. I'm wondering if this is unique to IR or if this is a Windows 7 "feature" that is more widespread.

Starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft has enforced the ban on programs storing information in the "Program Files " folder. Windows has a convoluted method of handling these data files. It stores the in a deeply hidden secondary folder. Consequently they don't show up in Windows Explorer but the program that wrote them sees the newer copy. I think they are called "VirtualStores". If you google Virtual Stores you should find a clearer explanation. But as I said, the problem lies in your trying to store these in the "program files" folder

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Jim978

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Thanks ... again! Reply with quote

Thanks once again. I'm a bit slow, but I think I get it now. The only thing that still puzzles me is the fact that my .rmdu files also reside in a sub-sub-folder under Program Files, and those aren't lurking in some secret place like the .ir files (thanks, Bill Gates!).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, you should store all of your documents (include IR, RMDU, etc files) in a folder under the "My Documents" folder. Personally, I store my JP1 programs in a folder under "My Documents" too, I don't put them in the "Program Files" folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: