JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unable to make buttons with '*' next to them send out signal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Unable to make buttons with '*' next to them send out signal Reply with quote

My IR file for the Atlas 1047 is here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11615

I needed to use a few of these buttons for a device upgrade and when they did not work, thought that the RMDU was incorrect.

However, when experimenting, I mapped the hex codes to buttons that did not have '*' next to and this time it worked.

Does the '*' next to the buttons designate a shifted button (or the need to use shift (Setup in my case) to activate the button)?

I tried pressing 'Setup' on my remote (once and twice) and then pressing each of these buttons with '*' next to them but they refused to work as well (the buttons do flash the IR LEDs though).

So my questions are:

1. How do I make buttons with '*' next to them send out signals I want them to

FYI, these buttons also appear in the 'Keymoves' tab in RM/IR although I did not explicitly code in a Keymove for them (besides assigning the buttons to hex codes I wanted them to send out)

2. Why does not the other buttons that I remapped appear in the 'Keymoves' tab but only these do?

Is it a coincidence that only those buttons that appear in the 'Keymoves' tab refuse to work but others work fine?

3. Why can't I get the "master power" button to send the PWR signal required to cycle the target device reliably?

The "master power" button does not have a '*' next to and I can have it send out any code I want but ...

Last edited by carsonlittle on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UEI remotes have a Button Map, which you can see in the RDF. They do this to save space in remotes, especially on older remotes. For example, it is unlikely (or was at one time) that the TV device would have need for the transport buttons, so these are omitted from the button map. It thus takes less space to describe the data for each setup code. RM denotes buttons which aren't in the button map for a given device with an asterisk in the Buttons and Layout tabs. You can use these buttons by assigning a keymove to them, and RM does that automatically.

I'm not sure why that isn't working. Maybe the RDF file incorrectly describes the EFC method, which varies among remote types. I would try manually assigning keymoves. Does the remote take 3 or 5 digit EFCs? The RDF currently says 5, but I suspect that is incorrect, given the age of the remote. See how keymoves affect the Raw Data, and then compare that with the description of the known formats in the RDF spec (pages 7 and 8). In particular, try to figure out if the keymoves are stored as EFCs or as Hex data.

Or, just take a flyer and change the RDF to 3 digit EFCs, and if that doesn't work, also change from EFC type to Hex type.

I don't know about the Master Power button, but those are usually implemented as a macro. Probably should look at the Macro tab.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would believe that this remote has the same difficulty with EFC style keymoves as the others in this era did.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are those issues?

1. I did try doing combinations of:

Code:
AdvCodeFormat=HEX
EFCDigits=3

... and no luck.

2. Two presses of the Setup key followed by a button does not seem to blast a code - it waits for me to press a button thrice and only then blasts something out the IR LEDs.

3. I also coded the Exit button to send out PWR and assigned a Macro to the master power to send out Exit: neither works.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power macros at least on the 8820 were different from normal macros. Try assigning the master power manually as per the manual and then download from the remote to see the structure
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want to be sure we understand how keymoves are stored on the 1047, and the stuff tried so far doesn't tell us. First we need to be sure that the 1047 supports keymoves. Do that by using the 994 command, having first used RM to identify valid EFCs for the setup code the remote is set to. In the process, you'll find out whether it uses 3 or 5 digit EFCs. Do this at first for an EFC that you already know works (but on a different button), and verify that the remote does actually send the correct signal.

Assign perhaps 10 EFCs to various buttons. Then do a download from the remote. The RawData will contain all of the programming of the EFCs as arranged by the remote itself--which is why we doing the programming manually. Post the RMIR file here, and we can decipher the EFC storage format.

It is likely that the 1047 uses 3 digit EFCs; IIRC, the issue Vicky raised only matters in remotes which use 5 digit EFCs.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the remote with signature CS400102. I don't know where the RDF is, but this remote takes 3 digit EFCs.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been using this RDF, originally prepared by binky123. I added a map/image file and have been updating it. It had listed the remote as having a 5 digit EFCs, but I've just changed it to EFCDigits=3.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, found the RDF. The Keymoves don't show up in IR even though the remote did a double flash when I entered them.

What do you need to see?

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a couple of changes to the RDF, and I can now see the EFC's that I put in.

I removed the line EFCDigts, AdvanceCode Format lines, and I changed the starting Advanced code address to 01c and things started looking better.

oops changed the Advanced code address to 016 and see three valid keymoves. So its the start of 015 isn't right, it appears to be 016, since these all are valid keymoves and the remote sends them out as advertised.

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Vicky, I didn't know that you had one of these! Sounds like you've got the Advanced Code address already figured out. I think a more direct way, not involving trial and error, of finding this address is to download from a reset remote, and compare that download after adding some keymoves manually. But doing it this way means the comparison should be done on the raw data--we can't depend on RMIR or IR to interpret the keymoves (or other stuff) because the RDF is probably incorrect.

I'm not sure if the button labels in the RDF are correct, or if they vary among the possible versions of this remote. The image I used has a button labeled PPV (just to the right of Day+), and there was no similar name in the first version of the RDF. So I guessed the button number. Can you check that by using it in a keymove or macro? Again, IMO it is best to look at the raw data to get the button number.

Also, Carson is trying to get the Power button to work using this upgrade. He reports odd behavior in the first post of this thread. If you have time, could you check to see that the Power signal is sent normally on your remote?
carsonlittle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Sorry Vicky, I didn't know that you had one of these! Sounds like you've got the Advanced Code address already figured out. I think a more direct way, not involving trial and error, of finding this address is to download from a reset remote, and compare that download after adding some keymoves manually. But doing it this way means the comparison should be done on the raw data--we can't depend on RMIR or IR to interpret the keymoves (or other stuff) because the RDF is probably incorrect.

I will do a:

1. MFR reset of my remote
2. Save the E2
3. Manually program a keymove using the remote keypad (don't know how yet)
4. Save the E2
5. Do a diff

The issue being I can't do a Hex to EFC encoding transform just yet so I won't be able to find out if the values got saved correctly, but I will be able to ensure atleast that the keycodes are getting saved and where

If the above steps are not the right way to proceed, please alert me..

3FG wrote:

I'm not sure if the button labels in the RDF are correct, or if they vary among the possible versions of this remote. The image I used has a button labeled PPV (just to the right of Day+), and there was no similar name in the first version of the RDF. So I guessed the button number. Can you check that by using it in a keymove or macro? Again, IMO it is best to look at the raw data to get the button number.

I will try too, but how to I test it via a macro?

3FG wrote:

Also, Carson is trying to get the Power button to work using this upgrade. He reports odd behavior in the first post of this thread. If you have time, could you check to see that the Power signal is sent normally on your remote?

Let's just say that issue is solved. I was editing the RDF and added an offset to the executor location, which was incorrect. I edited my first post to reflect this.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I provided a link a few posts above to the Wiki description of the various 9XX commands. Use that for keymoves, and use 995 for a macro.

I don't keep the algorithm for converting EFCs to Hex in my head, but RM does a very consistent and accurate job so I don't have to. I expect the raw data will show one or the other.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG my PPV key says Lock on the key, with PPV over the top.

Do you happen to remember how to shoot the keycodes at the widget? This might be of the vintage where that is an option,

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon's instructions on how to blink the button codes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: