JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

comcast remote all on button problem with receiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gryphon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: comcast remote all on button problem with receiver Reply with quote

Hi,

I found some very helpful people here last year when I needed help learning how to program features on my comcast remote. So I thought I'd try again.

We got a new comcast box with the dark grey remote and and the red OK/select button.

I've been able to set it up with the 30 sec skip and I was able to get my pioneer receiver programmed to the aux button. The code that works for my Pioneer is 1023.

But I'm having trouble with the all on button. With the old remote, I was able to set the comcast box to ignore the all on button so the box stays on and just the tv and receiver are controlled. With this new remote, I'm able to set the cable box to stay on, but when I push all on button, it turns on the tv, turns on the receiver, and then turns off the receiver.

Does anyone know why this new remote's all on button turns the receiver on and then immediately off? I also usually notice that the cable box flashes the code du1 when I press all on.

thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this took so long. Your comcast remote is actually a 4 device remote. There is another device that you can't access with the buttons. This is set to Audio 30189. This sends a RC-5 17 OBC.12 for a power on. Some Pioneer equipment repsonds to RC-5 17 as well as the Pioneer signal that the 1023 sends. My guess is that your Pioneer Receiver happens to be one that responds to both Pioneer and RC-5 signals. You can confirm this by changing the AUX 0189 and see if the Power button still works your receiver.

I'm not quite sure what the fix would be for this. I am pretty sure this remote won't let you do a keymove onto the power button, so you can't block it, and you can't access dev4 without a cable.

If you get an old comcast remote with the gray button from Comcast, this won't be a problem. However the old comcast has a different library of setup codes. Audio 1023 is in both remotes, but you need to confirm your TV code is also in the old remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
gryphon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. The old remote definitely works for everything -- tv, receiver and cable box. I'll test changing AUX to 0189 as suggested for the new remote and see what happens -- it will still control switching sources and volume for the receiver if I do that, right?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gryphon, changing your Aux button to 30189 is not going to fix your problem. I just wanted confirmation that the plain old Power button works your Pioneer device. That would just confirm my diagnosis. Right now its just an assumption. I'm pretty sure Comcast would give you another old remote with the gray button to fix your problems. They get these back all the time.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
hytek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is most informative. I have the same problem with a Pioneer and dark grey Comcast remote. Comcast was no help at all. You would think they would be aware of the "phantom" device.

I tried 30189 but my stereo did not respond to it.
Must be a different code that is in mine. I don't have a cable yet to check.

I wonder what they are trying to control with "All On" in the phantom position. There must be alot of people with Pioneer recievers that have this problem. They should have a better answer.

What I did was put a macro on the "On Demand" button to just turn on the TV and cable box. It took a couple of tries. The first time it seemed to work only on every other press. Don't know what that's about.

Thanks for the info and the great JP1 site.
tucknology

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Solution to the Problem Reply with quote

I had the same problem described by the OP. I was able to make a workaround to correct the problem and, even though it isn't perfect, it is a major improvement.

In summary, I reassigned the aux power button to a non-interfering function. This prevents the double turn-on or double turn-off when using the ALL ON button. Unfortunately, this also makes it impossible to individually turn on/off the receiver. Next, I reassigned the power function to the play button, so I could use it to individually turn on/off the receiver. It works great now!

Here are the individual steps:

INITIAL REMOTE PROGRAMMING
1) Press and release AUX button.
2) Press and hold Setup button until the AUX button blinks twice.
3) Press 3 1 0 2 3 and then verify that the AUX button blinks twice.

REASSIGN A HARMLESS OPERATION TO THE AUX POWER BUTTON
4) Press and release AUX button.
5) Press and hold Setup button until the AUX button blinks twice.
6) Press 9 9 4 and then verify that the AUX button blinks twice.
7) Press the 7 (or another function that you want to assign to the power button) and then press the POWER button. Verify that the AUX button blinks twice.
NOTE: I only use the TV input on my receiver, which is assigned to the number 7 on the remote. Therefore whenever I use the ALL ON button, the receiver is switched to the TV input - which essentially does nothing on my setup. You may wish to use a different function based on your setup.

REASSIGN THE AUX POWER TO AN AVAILABLE BUTTON
8) Press and release AUX button.
9) Press and hold Setup button until the AUX button blinks twice.
10) Press 9 9 4 and then verify that the AUX button blinks twice.
11) Press the POWER and then press the PLAY button (or another button of your choosing). Verify that the AUX button blinks twice.

Let me know if it works for you! Happy remoting! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: