JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

switching from 6131 to RCRP05B - is this approach reasonable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bvwelch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: switching from 6131 to RCRP05B - is this approach reasonable Reply with quote

Greetings,

Back in 2005, I was very happy to use JP1 and an extender for my 6131, to control a Sony TV, Sony STR-DE995 receiver, and Panasonic DMR-E85H pvr.

Now we just bought a Vizio E320-A0 TV, and replaced our worn-out 6131 with the RCRP05B.

I have original OEM remotes for all equipment. I can also set up JP1xxx cables and an IR Widget if needed.

But first, I wanted to see what the RCRP05B could do, with just manual programming.

My first surprise is with the Sony receiver -- I don't think the RCRP05B has the setup code that I was using in the 6131... In particular I need to be able to switch my receivers audio input from either the TV or the PVR, or the receiver's own radio...

Am I right in thinking that I am going to need the cables and cannot program a button manually for this function?

Eventually, I would like each of the device buttons to automatically select the proper audio input for the receiver, like on the 6131, but I can live without that for now.

Thanks for any suggestions.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sony is still set to the default codeset AV2, then code 1758 in the RCA remote should control it. If the 0-9 keys don't control any inputs on the stereo, its probably due to CH lock set on the rca remote.

To unlock the CH lock:

1. aud
2. press and hold SEUP, for two blinks
3. enter 9 7 3
4. press CH DOWN
bvwelch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
If the sony is still set to the default codeset AV2, then code 1758 in the RCA remote should control it. If the 0-9 keys don't control any inputs on the stereo, its probably due to CH lock set on the rca remote.

Thanks that worked!
bvwelch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get the new remote basically talking to the TV, PVR, and Receiver, so I built new / modern cable for the 6131 (using Arduino) and also an FTDI cable for the RCA remote. Both are working, and I used RMIR to grab the contents of both remotes.

I used an extender in the old remote, and I plan to use an extender in the new remote also. So, I followed the instructions on making getting the extender into the new remote, activated it, and tested that I can still operate the TV, PVR, and Receiver.

Now I am trying to get the contents of the old remote into the new one, using RMIR. I realize that there will be issues: 1) different/missing buttons on the new remote, and 2) the extenders have different rules, conventions, features.

Using RMIR, I opened up file from the old remote, selected the PVR button, then clicked EDIT, and saved the upgrade to a file. then I ran RMIR on the file for the new remote, clicked the Devices tab, then click NEW, then opened the upgrade that I just created.

I did this for the PVR and the Receiver, and I (temporarily) ignored the warnings about "lost function assignments", saved everything in a new combined file.

Does this seem a good approach? Next I plan to decide about the missing / buttons, and then, last but not least, I want to set up the Device buttons as 'remote theatre' buttons.

I'll have to go dig up some discrete codes for the new TV though -- on, off, and change the input between PVR and live TV.

thanks to all for the really great tools and documentation here!
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from an 8910 to the RCA. Luckily, the extender 'language' was nearly the same, so it was generally easy to recreate things. The RCA was even nicer as the extender has support for discrete power by name instead of having to remember what weird keypress I tied them to.

The only issue I have is that my Onkyo receiver uses some extremely oddball codes for certain Internet/iPod features. I don't use them much, and end up using the original remote for that (which is confusing as that remote's keys change what they do depending on the device selected!)
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that we have support for any signal accepted by Onkyo receivers, at least the TX- or DTR- series. Tell us which functions are a problem, and maybe we can suggest how to get them working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: