JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Upgrade for Sony Bravia TV KDL-32EX653 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Upgrade for Sony Bravia TV KDL-32EX653 ? Reply with quote

1. Device: Sony Bravia KDL-32EX653
2. Type of device: TV
3. Year: 2012
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: RCA RCRP05BR (Atlas 1056B01/OFA 7950/Insignia 67100)
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? YES
6. Still have original remote? NO
7. Checked the file section? YES
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? NO
9. Partially working setup code? NO
10. Learning remote question? YES
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? YES

Hi
An acquaintance, who lives a long way away, does not have the original remote for her TV, LCD/Internet model SONY BRAVIA KDL-32EX653 so I would like to set up one of my JP1 remotes so I can teach, to another learning remote, the right commands for that Tv.

I have the following JP1 remotes:-
RCA RCRP05BR,
Atlas 1056B01,
OFA 7950,
Insignia 67100

- so, ideally, I think I need an upgrade for the Sony TV.

The Tv seems to be a quite popular model but I am afraid I failed to find an upgrade in the file section or lookup and would be grateful for advice.

I am quite new to JP1 and have not recently had do do much because all my gadgets are still under perfect control Smile

With a Harmony using the commands from the logitech database, I have already used teaching to get commands for the Sony Tv and to setup a TV device on a universal remote Sony RMVLZ620T which I will send to her. (Out of the box the RMVLZ620T is supposed to have Sony Tv commands present on its TV device but I can't test them, and am not sure if they would be complete for the latest LCD/Internet Tvs like KDL-32EX653)

The problem remains that I cannot test whether the learned commands all work, so thought it would be another chance of getting it right if I were to send her a spare Atlas (non-learning) 1056B01 with a JPI upgrade for the Sony Tv Device installed as a backup, and also perhaps do a second Sony Tv device on the RMVLZ620T learned from the JP1 upgrade, as another alternative if the Harmony teaching did not work on it.

As well or instead, with a Harmony using the commands from the logitech database, I could try from scratch to make an upgrade for the Tv, SONY BRAVIA KDL-32EX653, because I did that for one or two of our own boxes before, with much help here. Then I could check if the codes look as if they have consecutive numbers for similar commands etc. Or I may be able to complete a partial upgrade by teaching with the Harmony. For these projects I think I need advice as to what protocol to use, or what existing JP1 upgrade would already have the right setup to learn the Bravia Tv commands from Harmony properly. Is that right and what to do about that, please?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony codes rarely change. I'd be shocked if THIS upgrade wasn't pretty much an exact match.

You'll also get the basic functions with built-in code TV 0810 on your RCA or most any one-for-all.
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much!
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the diagnosis area I have posted the resulting Atlas Upgrade for Sony LCD Internet TV BRAVIA KDL-32EX653:-
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11543

- because I haven't been able to test it because I don't have the TV or its original remote.

It was done using the upgrade mentioned by mdavej, together with additional learned commands to complete it, from Logitech's Harmony database, for someone who does not have the original remote either, and who lives far away.

I would like to discover which commands are redundant when the Tv does not use them, and also please see the two learned commands, commented with * in the functions tab, which have the unusual 119 'device numbers'.

Regards
Chris
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 119 codes are probably correct. They are very common on sony tv's.

You'll have to educate me on UK tv's. Is Teletext the same as what we call closed captions in the US? If so you can probably delete the CC command. Also do your digital channels not use a dot or dash to delimit the sub-channel. If so, you can delete DOT.

The other unused ones are probably ok to delete.

Did you learn all the harmony commands and confirm they match? If not, I would do that to be safe.

I would also check the manual for the TV and see what commands are on the original remote.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
The 119 codes are probably correct. They are very common on sony tv's.
That is good to know.
Quote:
You'll have to educate me on UK tv's. Is Teletext the same as what we call closed captions in the US? If so you can probably delete the CC command.
"Teletext (or 'broadcast teletext') is a television information retrieval service developed in the United Kingdom in the early 1970s."...."It offers a range of text-based information, typically including national, international and sporting news, weather and TV schedules".

I think 'closed captions' may to refer to subtitles or other pieces of text, such as the programme synopses which can be brought up or put away with the Info button. The distinction seems to be made between 'closed captions' as being text which refers to the current broadcast on Tv, and Teletext which is more like a separate channel, originally just for text but more recently displaying video as well.
Quote:
Also do your digital channels not use a dot or dash to delimit the sub-channel. If so, you can delete DOT.
That is right so I will delete 'em and the other unused ones.
Quote:
Did you learn all the harmony commands and confirm they match? If not, I would do that to be safe.
Thanks, I did that to seven or eight and found they were ok which seemed a good sign that the rest were too.
Quote:

I would also check the manual for the TV and see what commands are on the original remote.
I don't think there were any not found on the Harmony but the upgrade was a bit short in comparison so taught an RCA RCRPO5BR with commands from harmony, converted them for the upgrade, then put that on a (non-learning) Atlas. I will provide the Atlas as a backup, together with a Sony RMVLZ620 uni remote, also taught with the RCA, and will publish the results for Atlas, with a caveat and would appreciate feedback with corrections so I may be able to adjust it later where it is innaccurate.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11544

There were too many commands for the buttons on Atlas so I put some on shifted keys. Not sure how to send with Atlas shifted buttons...is it as usual, just by pressing 'set' on it's own, and then the shifted key, which is available for just a few secs?

Last edited by tranx on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
Many Sony codes, especially those introduced before 2010 or so, are listed at http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/
That's how we can be sure that 119 is a valid device number.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks I see #119 is said to be for newer devices, along with 151 and, in the list to which you pointed, #119 is for 'Digital Tuner, discrete' - which seems to be the same command I learned from Harmony and which had #119. It is described in the Sony Tv manual as a 'Digital Input', while in practice, i.e. in the learns from the harmony, 'Analog Input' for some reason seems to use #1. (the other #119 command was PIP)

All the discrete inputs are provided and think they can also be used from the Tv's Home menu by selecting icons, although the Bravia ('CE'?) thingy is said to be able to change inputs automatically. Otherwise operation seems very complicated for simple minds and those used to Panasonic gadgets!
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Atlas shifted commands Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
...there were too many commands for the buttons on Atlas so I put some on shifted keys. Not sure how to send with Atlas shifted buttons...is it as usual, just by pressing 'set' on it's own, and then the shifted key, which is available for just a few secs?

I found the answers by searching for posts with 'ATLAS shifted commands'. To summarise, and plagiarise:-

1.) The shift key ('SET' ) must be pressed twice to use a shifted command on a number key.

2.) A double press of SET, within a second, just toggles the backlight function.

Therefore, in order to issue the command on a shifted number key, you need to leave about a one-second pause between presses of the SET key: the device key flashes both times, and a subsequent press of a shifted number key will perform its shifted function.

The backlight activates if setup is pressed twice within one second. Therefore, space out the SET presses a bit more than one second so that the remote doesn't see the double shift as a backlight toggle command.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: