JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beginning all over again
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Beginning all over again Reply with quote

I'm not a JP1 beginner. Honest. I've had a 15-2104 since 2001 or 2002. I bought an 8811 from Rob in 2002, and 2 more in 2009. (I've worn out 2; on the last one... fortunately I have some 15-2104s new in box in my basement for when the last 8811 dies). I've got extenders and macros and stuff. All cool!

Last week my BluRay player died. I've got a new one arriving any day now.

Oh no! That means I've got to reprogram. And, oh 'eck... it's been almost 3 years (Feb 9 2010) since I've had to reprogram anything (the previous time was Jan 2009, and before that was Sep 2008). Because everything was stable, I kinda dropped out of the community. I don't even have a Windows machine, any more!

Heck, I was still using IR802 and keymap-master 8.26.

If I can't get those old tools working in VirtualBox talking to USB then I might have some problems. I might even need to see what new tools you've all come up with in the past 3 years!

Nice to know my account still works, though Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tools have come a long way, while you were gone.

IR 8.03 and KM 9.22 have had some major improvements. But the thing that will be of most interest to you is RemoteMaster RM. RemoteMaster now has the IR functions built in. That portion of the program is RMIR. RMIR is java based, and works on non-Windows machines. RMIR 2.02 was just moved from beta yesterday. It still has some rough edges, but the developers are actively working on making RMIR the new goto program.

We've also added a Wiki since you've been gone. See the link at the top of the page. This will be helpful for you starting out with RMIR.

Also, for a comprehensive review, you might want to look at IRHelp, Its the document that I put together when I was coming back after a three year absence. It might help sweep out the cobwebs.

Welcome back
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I played a little with rmir yesterday, and it refused to load my old .IR file (8811 with John Fine's extender 1) saying that the signature failed to match any RDF. I'd made some subtle changes to the RDF so that Phantom1 was renamed as SwitchRcvr and I added three new phantom keys (DiscreteOn, DiscreteOff, SwitchRcvr) so that it was easier to build readable macros (eg SLEEP becomes "X_TV;DiscreteOff;X_DVD;DiscreteOff;X_AUX;DiscreteOff;....")
Code:
% diff 6_80_2x1\ \(6012\ 2K\ x1\).rdf EXTENDER_ORIG/
76c76
< SwitchRcvr=$3D, Phantom2=$3E, Phantom3=$3F, Phantom4=$40, DiscreteOn=$41, DiscreteOff=$42, MacroPause=$43,
---
> Phantom1=$3D, Phantom2=$3E, Phantom3=$3F, Phantom4=$40,

I need to spend a little more time trying to diagnose that and find out why it's not loading properly Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweh wrote:
I played a little with rmir yesterday, and it refused to load my old .IR file (8811 with John Fine's extender 1) saying that the signature failed to match any RDF.

I've been an RMIR tester, and one of the things that I checked was that my 8811 extender IR's loaded correctly.

I think you may have a very simple problem. I think you didn't set your RDF path correctly

File->Set Directory->RDF Path

Check to see that your extender RDF is really in that path.

The changes inside the RDF are not going to give you a signature problem.
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I select "new" then I get, as an option '6012 2K x1 (6_80_2x1)' so it's finding the RDF file.

However if I select "open" then I get "No remote found with signature starting 6_80 and EEPROM size 2K".

My guess (at this point) is that the old RDF file used is missing something subtle that RM needs, and the RM RDF 1.32 zip file doesn't contain an "extender 1" config (I see extender 2 and extender 3, but not extender 1).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First lets rule out a LINUX issue

here is a valid 8811 extender 3 2k IR file.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11540

Will this open in RMIR on your machine?

I would strongly recommend the extender 3 version. It has a lot of cool features that were missing in the early version.
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the option of 3 RDFs that match that signature (URC-881x x3 2K / URC-801x x3 2K / URC-601x x3 2K). I select the 881x version and see your file fine.

I really don't want to rebuild my config from scratch if I can avoid it Smile

Last edited by sweh on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, if it helps, my files are at http://sweh.spuddy.org/tmp/JP1/
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweh wrote:
FWIW, I really don't want to rebuild my config from scratch. I'm happy with my old config and have "finger macros" learned, now, so switching to ext3 and rebuilding is close to a worse-case scenario.

Upgrading extenders, might be just a matter of running the extinstall. It all depends on what the extender writer did to the keycode set.

Why not post your IR file and RDF, so we can see what is going on with the RDF.
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Why not post your IR file and RDF, so we can see what is going on with the RDF.
Heh, our posts must have crossed in the wires Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, our posts were made at the same time. I didn't see yours until I came back.

I opened your file in IR and right away found the source of the bad signature. Your signature has a capital X and the signature on the RDF has a lower case X. There were 2 IR files in your folder. I only had access to the one that says blank_8011, the other one was FORBIDDEN. I tried to open the blank_8811. After I changed the signature on the RDF and added the sections about protocols to keep it from squawking, it still wouldn't open. It appears there are some sections in there that should not be.

Here is the RDF and the blank_8811 with the junk removed.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11542

After the line that starts with 07F0: you can't have those oddball sections that were in the blank_8811 IR file.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I opened your file in IR and right away found the source of the bad signature. Your signature has a capital X and the signature on the RDF has a lower case X.

A case error. I should have guessed. Windows didn't care 'cos Windows isn't case sensitive. Guh, that's so stupid!
Quote:

There were 2 IR files in your folder. I only had access to the one that says blank_8011, the other one was FORBIDDEN. I

Oops, sorry; for some reason that one had wrong permissions. Fixed.
Quote:

from squawking, it still wouldn't open. It appears there are some sections in there that should not be.

Looks like that was from the extinstaller; the Denon.IR file didn't have those sections.
Quote:
Here is the RDF and the blank_8811 with the junk removed.

Thanks, that RDF now means Denon.IR loads.

Now I have a real Unix problem to solve; the .so files need a newer glibc than my Ubuntu 11 install provides
Code:
Loading /home/sweh/Desktop/Remote_Master/Linux-amd64/libjp12serial.so
Unable to create JP12Serial object: /home/sweh/Desktop/Remote_Master/Linux-amd64/libjp12serial.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /home/sweh/Desktop/Remote_Master/Linux-amd64/libjp12serial.so)

libDecodeIR also complains about the libc version.

Hmm, I also don't seen to have libjp1usb.so available
Code:

Loading /home/sweh/Desktop/Remote_Master/Linux-amd64/libjp1usb.so
Unable to create JP1USB object: Can't load library: /home/sweh/Desktop/Remote_Master/Linux-amd64/libjp1usb.so

So I can't actually use my USB based JP1 adapter (bought from Tommy in 2009)
Code:
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0fc5:1222 Delcom Engineering I/O Development Board

(neither version 2.02 nor 2.02.a have libjp1usb...)

I step forward, 3 steps back...
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's out of league. I'm not sure who to contact. I'll try greg and barf, they would know what all that means.
sweh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
that's out of league. I'm not sure who to contact. I'll try greg and barf, they would know what all that means.

Oh, I know what it means (I'm an old Unix hand Smile).

RM isn't a "pure java" app. It makes use of some support libraries compiled native to the OS. In particular, serial/parallel/USB drivers and the IR Decoder routines are "native". The problem is that the serial and decoder libraries were compiled to a newer version of Linux than I'm running (so they won't load) and the USB driver is missing.

Knowing what it means doesn't mean I can solve it, though Sad

Hmm, I can see some Windows sourcecode in the "Files" section but I dunno how much work'll be needed on them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: