JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JVC MX506

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London JP1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: JVC MX506 Reply with quote

I have a URC8811 that I have programmed nicely to control all of my tv/pvr etc... thanks to all the great resources that are made available to the users of this forum.

The problem I am having is that I have a JVC mini system (JVC MX-J506) that I want to add as a device that I cannot find the code for.. I have learned a couple of the keys, but have had no luck finding an already created device for them. I have never created an upgrade myself and I am puzzled by what IR shows me when I look at the learned codes from the existing remote.

For example, I get 2 entries for my vol+ learned command and they have different protocols... I am really stuck figuring out how to proceed. Should I upload my remote file for someone to look at and if so, should I learn all of the functions I want or is it likely that I just need the proper setup code and once I get that, all the keys will be there for me to do key moves or just use them as is? or is there a way to create a key move that would work for this situation?

Thanks for any assistance you are able to give.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: JVC MX506 Reply with quote

London JP1 wrote:

For example, I get 2 entries for my vol+ learned command and they have different protocols

The decoder isn't perfect and is intentionally designed to minimize the chances of missing any correct decode, even though that design increases the number of times that it includes a bogus decode.

London JP1 wrote:
Should I upload my remote file for someone to look at

Yes. Probably if you had just named the two protocols above, any experienced user could tell you which of the two to ignore. And if you had given the device numbers from those decodes as well, we could tell you everything you need to know without ever seeing the file. But it's easy enough to upload a file to the diagnosis folder that you ought to just do that even if you're just not sure we can answer the question without it.

London JP1 wrote:

and if so, should I learn all of the functions I want

The more obscure the signals are, the more signals we would need to see in order to tell you what to do. JVC signals are probably not obscure. One signal is probably enough. So do you want to do more now to avoid a small risk of delay (in case you need to do more later). That's your call.
London JP1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have just uploaded a file named JVC-MX-J506.txt to the diagnosis area.. it is stripped down except for the learned codes for the cd player.. the codes that are learned are the vol-/+ and the 3 cd selection buttons... CD1, CD2, CD3.

Thanks for all the support
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, you're much more likely to get help if you post a link to the file. To save you the trouble, here it is: JVC-MX-J506.txt
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two volume buttons are quite clearly JVC device code 163, with OBCs 30 and 31, CD1 is a bad learn, but CD2 and CD3 are quite clearly JVC device code 179 with OBCs 122 and 123, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that CD1 is OBC 121.

I checked my files and audio/0074 should work the volume and audio/0072 should work the disk selects (ie, the '1' button selects CD1, etc)
London JP1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.. I will try those two devices ( although I am certain I tried both, but maybe it was just the keys I was trying in those devices were not mapped as I might have expected )..

When you say the learned codes are quite clearly the JVC device code 163, does that 'quite clearly' apply to you? or should it be 'quite clear' to me and I am just not understanding the info properly?

Thanks again
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London JP1 wrote:

When you say the learned codes are quite clearly the JVC device code 163, does that 'quite clearly' apply to you? or should it be 'quite clear' to me and I am just not understanding the info properly?

Clear only to an experienced JP1 user.

If you click on one of those first two signals you see a decode for JVC protocol device 163 and you see a decode with the same data for JVC{2} protocol. Given that you have a JVC device and the two decodes have the same numbers, there are several reasons to conclude that the JVC decode is right and the extra decode should be ignored.

I don't know what went wrong with that learn to SHIFT-1. I manually decoded the bits and even without the other signals for comparison, I can tell that if it is a bad learn of a JVC signal then it must be a bad learn of JVC device 179, OBC 121. Given that the next two happen to be device 179, OBCs 122 and 123 it seems certain that this one is that specific bad learn.

The beginning of the bad learn looks like what I'd expect from bad batteries in the JVC remote, but the rest of it is just strange. I can't guess what caused it, but I suspect that if you relearned that signal it wouldn't be wrong again. But since we're confident of what the right signal is, there's no actual need to relearn.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good CCF file here
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/dl.cgi?file=ccf_templates/complete_system/raul-villaruz_ccf.zip&area=pronto

containing a JVC CD that uses the same device 179 commands you have, and a JVC tuner that uses the same device 163 commands.

You can use the DecodeCCF program to get the OBC numbers for all those commands.

The Disc_1 through Disc_6 commands are OBCs 121 to 126.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London JP1 wrote:
I will try those two devices ( although I am certain I tried both,

I just wanted to make sure you know the difference between a device number (the 163 or 179 in those decodes) and a setup code number.

Setup code CD/0072 is JVC device number 179 and I'm sure contains many functions for your device preprogrammed to keys and could take all the other device_179 functions as KeyMoves by EFC number if you didn't want to create an upgrade.

Similarly, setup code Tuner/0074 is JVC device number 163.

There are also JVC upgrade files in the CD and Audio folders that would be good places to start if you want to create a new setup code.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London JP1 wrote:

I would hope that they would be clear to everyone. Despite the fact that IR displays a warning about the unusual way these signals were learned, each learned signal (apart from the one bad learn) clearly shows the JVC protocol with a device code of either 163 or 179. Granted, JVC signals are a little bit unusual in that they have two parts and this is reported as such by the decode process, but each part still have the same device code and OBC, so that shouldn't throw you off too much.

It's a good idea to keep in mind that there are a number of factors that can affect the quality of the learn, starting with an inexperienced user who might stop pressing the teaching remote too soon, but also includes things like weak batteries in one or both remote, etc

The decode process (which is a program called DecodeIR, written by John) does a pretty good job of sorting through the mess and finding the right signals when they are present in there somewhere. One of the usual side-effects of this process (which isn't the case here) is that it often spits out some stange looking "gap" decodes either before or after the real signal, but the real signal is usually in there somewhere.

When you have a sample that includes several buttons, you can usually tell what the correct decodes are because each button will probably use the same protocol and device code.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Granted, JVC signals are a little bit unusual in that they have two parts and this is reported as such by the decode process,

Just FYI Rob, the decoder used to be that crude, but the current version (that I assume you used) isn't.

The JVC signal does have two parts and the decoder does a pretty good job of puting the two parts together and reporting one full decode of JVC rather than two half decodes.

But look at these signals. They have THREE parts. The first part, the second part and the second part again.

I think there is too much complexity and/or risk in trying to make the decoder smart enough to find its way through that. It is correctly decoding exactly what is present in those four slightly weird learns (The really bad learn is just too hard for it).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the three data streams, it doesn't seem that strange that the URC-8811 would have stored the data this way. The lead-in pair is only sent once, so while it would have been preferable for the URC-8811 to store this as the "sent once" string, it's not un-reasonable that it would also store the data portion in this string. Then it correctly identifies the repeating pattern.

The final send of the data portion is missing the last pair before the lead-out pair, which is probably caused by the user releasing the OEM remote's button too soon, so the URC-8811 evidently treats this as a different string and it stores it in the final "sent once" area.

Could you remind me, what is the difference between "JVC1" and "JVC2"? Apart from the fact that the lead-in pair is only sent once, the rest of these data streams looks the same.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Could you remind me, what is the difference between "JVC1" and "JVC2"? Apart from the fact that the lead-in pair is only sent once, the rest of these data streams looks the same.

That's the only difference.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a time when the lead-in was used for each repetition?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: