JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Harmony "Activity" on SAT device button URC7940
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Harmony "Activity" on SAT device button URC7940 Reply with quote

1. Device: Naim AV2, Sony DVD DVP-NS930V, Ultraplus-900HD, Phillips 32PW9534/75M
2. Type of devices:
Naim AV2 (AV Pre-Amplifier) 2002 circa
Sony DVD DVP-NS930V(DVD player) 2000 circa
Ultraplus-900HD(Satellite Reciever) 2011 circa
Phillips 32PW9534/75M CRT TV unsure pretty old

3. Year: above
4. JP1/UEI Remote model:URC 7940
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? yes, self constructed Tommy Tyler FTDI JP1.3 design
6. Still have original remote? yes to all
7. Checked the file section? sort of
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? no
9. Partially working setup code? yes
10. Learning remote question? yes
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? yes
12.Tommy Tyler IR Widget
13.IR version 8.02
14.RemoteMaster.v2.02 Beta
15.Harmony 880 remote
16.Cats name: Smokey Josephine

Hello All,

This is my first post so apologies in advance for any breaches of
Protocol. I am very new to all this but after much huffing and pufffing
and a few explitives I have managed to construct my JP1 cable and talk
to my URC 7940 remote and program my DVD player onto the DVD device and
Ultraplus Satelitte reciever on the SAT device ( I have put a
Ultraplus-900HD.rmdu file in the file section for others to use as I
couldn't find this model)

The Harmony remote I have has "Activities" like "Watch TV" that sets up
all my devices with discrete codes that I have found and managed to get
onto the Harmony by following a tutorial on the web that tricks the
Harmony by replacing the learned code file with the discrete code file.

I would like my URC 7940 to be able to set up an "Activity" like watch
tv too but am unsure of how to do this with Remote Master and IR.

eg

1.Turn on TV
2.Turn on AMP
3.Set AMP to correct input

I have recorded the setup TV activity from the Harmony and have a a IR scope
ict file displaying the bursts.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11267

This is where I get confused , do I need Device combiner? an extender to keep track of the state of the devices?
I think I have had an information overload and cant think straight.
Could someone please walk me through putting this series of setup TV ir signals onto the URC7940 SAT button.

Many thanks in advance and apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere.
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse,

All you need is a Macro. You can make one without an extender, but you won't be able to put it on the SAT button. You can only put a macro on the device keys with an extender.

The macro basically lets you give multiple presses with a single key. To take your example, the steps are probably:

1. Press the TV key
  2. Press the Power key
  3. Press the VCR key (assuming you have your Amp on that one)
  4. Press the Power key
  5. Press the key to select the appropriate input (I'll assume it's the 4 key for this example)

So you could make a macro for that on your Red button in RMIR...just go to the Macros tab, hit the New button, and fill it out:

Then anytime you hit the Red key, all those things will happen. Now, there are some problems with this approach. First, if the TV is already on, hitting Power will turn it off. If you're TV has a "Discrete On" available, you should use that instead (you can assign the "Discrete On" function to one of the phantom keys on your remote). Another potential problem is the Amp may need more time to power up before it is able to change inputs. I tried to account for that in the image above; note that it turns on the amp first, then the tv, then it hits VCR key 3 times just to cause a delay (this is the simplest way to create a delay, not the only or best way). If you need more delay, add more presses of VCR.

If you need more complex behavior of your macro or you really really want it on the SAT key, then you would have to add Special Protocols or use an extender. I don't see an extender in the file section for the URC-7940, and I'm not sure if any of the others work on that remote (the experts will undoubtedly know).

I suggest you read some sections from vicky's IR Help (http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=IR_Help) on the wiki. It has a section on macros and also introductory information about some of the other more advanced topics.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Harmony "Activity" on SAT device button URC794 Reply with quote

Pulse wrote:

I have recorded the setup TV activity from the Harmony and have a a IR scope
ict file displaying the bursts.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11267

It looks like your activity sends codes to three devices (or its possible the second device is more complex). It's sending 4 distinct commands though...do you know what those exact commands are? All of those signals decode fine so it should not be a problem to add them to your upgrades for those devices so that you can use them in a macro (if you don't already have them).
Pulse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Vyrolan for your quick reply, help, and welcoming words, I will look into this soon and see what I can Achieve with Macros

thanks again
Pulse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan,

the Naim amp is device 27
Naim discrete ON is 109
Naim discrete TV input is 7

The other RC5 and RC6 codes are for turning on the Phillips TV and sometimes getting the right input, this was setup using the Harmony web interface so a bit hit and miss.

Thanks

Pulse
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse wrote:

The other RC5 and RC6 codes are for turning on the Phillips TV and sometimes getting the right input, this was setup using the Harmony web interface so a bit hit and miss.

Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem then. The tv probably doesn't switch inputs because the commands are too fast. When you make your macro, use the techniques discussed above. Alternate devices (so that one is working while you send a command to the second) and also you can add in the extra presses of the device keys like in my example. You should be able to get the delays right so that you have a consistently-working macro.

Good luck!
Pulse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alternate devices (so that one is working while you send a command to the second)

Thats a very good idea, I hadn't thought of that
Thanks
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse wrote:
Quote:
Alternate devices (so that one is working while you send a command to the second)

Thats a very good idea, I hadn't thought of that
Thanks

We also have a PAUSE protocol that allows you to insert some time between keys. However alternating devices is the best way to go. Alternating devices allows for a shorter macro running time. The lmore time the macro takes to run, the more likely the macro will fail. Not because of a problem with long macros, its just that a "user" is going to stop pointing the remote at the device while the macro is running.
Pulse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
its just that a "user" is going to stop pointing the remote at the device while the macro is running.

Yeah I have got in the habit of pressing "watch TV" on the Harmony and placing the remote in a strategic position on the arm of the couch pointing at my system, getting up, pouring myself a glass of wine and coming back to everything ready. I set IRscope to 12 seconds to capture it all.

Im probably trying to run before I can crawl but I might like to have a go writing an extender for this URC7940 as a learning exercise.

Thanks to all for your input and help
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse, at the same time as you I was trying to do similar things with URC 7950, the only difference is I think is it's 5 devices, rather than 4.

With few keys to spare, the five phantom and five shift-phantom buttons can be useful to carry such macros, with keymoves to the Tv transport buttons, or any others which are not much use for the Tv itself. That saves those same transport keys etc. on the other devices for real transport functions or other things.

In case it might be of interest here is a URC 7950 image with macros done like this:- http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11149

Tried several others but think they are very nice little remotes and we also have a URC7930, 3 devices and learning, but unfortunately that lacks the connection pins for JP1.3. Does URC7940 have a phantom device slot, perhaps termed 'dev1', as well as phantom buttons, please?

Regards
Chris
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least with 7950 and our Tv, for which I found discrete Tv input commands on Harmony, the Tv input functions can work on the device slection buttons of 7950, whatever mode it is in.

To do this the input Functions of the Tv device need to be keymoved to the bound unshifted device selection keys of the respective Devices. The shifted device select buttons then still change the device mode without changing Tv's input.

For some reason the exception is that the Tv Input function can be allocated directly to the Tv device's Tv selection key. If the respective Tv input commands are learned to each device they don't work - I don't really understand this but guess it might be because they would need the Tv 'protocol' as well?

There is not much info about 7940/7950 but I understand that nboater is also looking into making an extender. There is plenty of spare memory already but reckon adjustable delays, prolonged key presses, and device specific macros would be handy.
Chris
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Chris, when I saw your post in the market place I thought you were going to abandon us in favor of the harmony.

Now it sounds like you are are sticking with the JP1ables. Smile

The LKP long keypress in extenders is indeed very useful. Its one of the features I use to make my remotes user friendly

Tempprary device selection is cool, although keymoves can be used to get the functions into the correct mode in an unextended remote. Temporary device control makes it really easy to program complicated macros.

The device specific macro, is a very handy tool too. With DSMs you can make a button behave logically. If one device has a discrete, and another device has a bunch of menu steps, the remote can become very intuitive.

Don't forget multiplexing. Multiplexing can help you squeeze an extra device onto a smaller remote, or it can change what the buttons do on a device, for activity based use. For example I want my regualar users of my DVD recorder to have standard transport keys, but when I edit DVDs I want totally different functions so I have control for precise scene delete functions.

And of course as this thread suggests, there is the FAST macro. This really reduces user error, because the macros run so fast that the users don't get bored and give up pointing the remote at the device.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Vicky I like URC7950 and have been playing with Insignia 67100 which is almost as good but has DSMs and more buttons and devices. That's why the rest, including various Harmonys except her H650, are now redundant Very Happy
Pulse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tried several others but think they are very nice little remotes and we also have a URC7930, 3 devices and learning, but unfortunately that lacks the connection pins for JP1.3. Does URC7940 have a phantom device slot, perhaps termed 'dev1', as well as phantom buttons, please?

@tranx

Thanks for your reply and link, I'm quite new to JP1 so am not sure what a "phantom device slot " is, can you tell me how to find out so I can tell you.
Also I had to open the URC7940 with a spatula and solder in a 6 pin header.

Quote:
At least with 7950 and our Tv, for which I found discrete Tv input commands on Harmony, the Tv input functions can work on the device slection buttons of 7950, whatever mode it is in.

I have probably been doing everything ass about face by sending signals to the ir widget from the Harmony then exporting to notepad UEIlearned then cutting and pasting into IR802 learned signals and assigning to buttons but it all seems to work.
For example I have assigned the volume signals of my Naim amplifier to vol up, vol down, on DVD, SAT,TV,VCR as I only ever use the sound from the amp.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse wrote:
For example I have assigned the volume signals of my Naim amplifier to vol up, vol down, on DVD, SAT,TV,VCR as I only ever use the sound from the amp.

Moste of us use, VPT (Volume Punch Through) to do this. On the general tab, you'll note VPT status; VPT Device; and flag for each device DVD, SAT, TV, VCR.

I'm assuming your AMP is using one of your device keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: