JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

At the risk of being a dolt..How do you write to the remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steevo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did, see the last post.

IR.exe completed just now, and says overflow. There is data on the tabs but an error message appears.

Well, I just tried again and thought IR.EXE has data on the tabs it took a long time to complete, it may not have completed really, the windows was not clickable. None of the ir.exe window was clickable.

I waited a moment and finally just ended it. I was going to make a note of the precise error.

I am trying RMIR now. It says downloading.
Well now this is interesting. RMIR is working but very slowly. The raw data tab has data through 0017H. All FF after that. And it's not progressing. It does know what kind of remote is connected. There are two devices, tv 0047 and vcr, 1614, the replay.

It seems to be stuck at that address. I left it for 30 minutes and it did not get any farther in the download. Something is wrong.

I just ohmed out my jp1 interface cable and it all checks out according to the pictures. Well, except that my resistors are about 997 ohms. Within tolerance.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steevo wrote:
I just did, see the last post.

IR.exe completed just now, and says overflow. There is data on the tabs but an error message appears.

Well, I just tried again and thought IR.EXE has data on the tabs it took a long time to complete, it may not have completed really, the windows was not clickable. None of the ir.exe window was clickable.

I waited a moment and finally just ended it. I was going to make a note of the precise error.

I am trying RMIR now. It says downloading.
Well now this is interesting. RMIR is working but very slowly. The raw data tab has data through 0017H. All FF after that. And it's not progressing. It does know what kind of remote is connected. There are two devices, tv 0047 and vcr, 1614, the replay.

It seems to be stuck at that address. I left it for 30 minutes and it did not get any farther in the download. Something is wrong.

I just ohmed out my jp1 interface cable and it all checks out according to the pictures. Well, except that my resistors are about 997 ohms. Within tolerance.

Got fresh batteries? I know it sounds basic, but......

Also, you need to be sure that pins 1 and 2 on the JP1 cable you made are wired together. That makes the connection from the battery to the eeprom in the remote.

A.A.
Steevo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries? Oh yeah. They were new a few days ago.
I just checked them and 1.62 vdc each.

I tried download from remote in RMIR just now with no interface plugged in and it says no remotes found.

So I plugged the interface into the remote and into the parallel port, and clicked download from remote again.

It again correctly identified the remote plugged in and stopped at 0017H.

I have another JP1 remote here. It's another replaytv 5000.

I just clicked download from remote on the other remote, and it also stopped at 0017H, but the data is different. It works, up to that point.

As to pin 1/2, yeah, I just ohmed them. They are connected together.
Steevo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so nothing much is working for me right now, and I am at the location where this Sylvania TV is. This is pretty frustrating.

Monday I will be back at home where I have excellent hacking resources and there are just no limitations as to equipment and supplies.

So I may just get the shottky diode and make a new simple interface with that and next time I am here, in a month or so I will be able to test it.

That is unless anyone has any bright ideas before I leave here on Monday.
cauer29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steevo wrote:
Well, so nothing much is working for me right now, and I am at the location where this Sylvania TV is. This is pretty frustrating.

Monday I will be back at home where I have excellent hacking resources and there are just no limitations as to equipment and supplies.

So I may just get the shottky diode and make a new simple interface with that and next time I am here, in a month or so I will be able to test it.

That is unless anyone has any bright ideas before I leave here on Monday.

So just to be sure, you have a genuine motherboard type parallel port that you're connecting this home-made JP1 cable to right?

I only mention that since USB to "parallel" adapters will just not work, as they're really intended to interface to a printer in lieu of a real parallel port. As such, they only emulate what is needed for a printer interface and won't work with a JP1 cable.

You can build a serial port JP1 cable, but here again, it has to be a genuine motherboard-ish serial port and not any sort of USB device. Then again, even if you made a serial port JP1 cable, it is not supported in RMIR, though it is supported in IR, so long as it uses a standard port address.

A.A.
Steevo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's genuine.

An old HP Compaq D51S computer with onboard parallel port. It's in another state now, since I am back home.

I can try it all here on a different HP computer. I won't be able to test it though.
cauer29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steevo wrote:
Oh, it's genuine.

An old HP Compaq D51S computer with onboard parallel port. It's in another state now, since I am back home.

I can try it all here on a different HP computer. I won't be able to test it though.

I take it you've gone through the diagnostics section at:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/simple/index.shtml#trouble

You don't need a remote to do most of the steps there.

A.A.
Steevo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the check interface and it passed. I disconnected the cable and it failed.

I am going to get a better diode and test further.
cauer29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steevo wrote:
I did the check interface and it passed. I disconnected the cable and it failed.

I am going to get a better diode and test further.

From your comment, it doesn't sound like you actually did the tests described at the link. I'm not talking about the "interface test" built-in to the IR or RMIR software, but the detailed testing described at the link where you don't even use a remote at all. There are steps where you short to pins together and execute a download, etc. There is no connecting of the cable to a remote at all in these tests. If it can't pass these tests, then there is no point in even connecting the cable to a remote.

A.A.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
Good stuff for beginners though, especially for the history and terms...is it a candidate for the sticky?

If only there were some sort of system where you could have an online, community edit-able document. Then we could have living documentation that was always up-to-date for beginers Very Happy Very Happy Razz

Seriously though - if there are things that need to be added to 'JP1 Just How Easy Is It' Wiki I can do some updates...

xnappo
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
tranx wrote:
Good stuff for beginners though, especially for the history and terms...is it a candidate for the sticky?

If only there were some sort of system where you could have an online, community edit-able document. Then we could have living documentation that was always up-to-date for beginers Very Happy Very Happy Razz

Seriously though - if there are things that need to be added to 'JP1 Just How Easy Is It' Wiki I can do some updates...

I agree...I'd like to take pieces of all the old documentation and merge/update it all into a new updated guide of the whole process. I responded directly inline in this thread rather than going to the wiki because my first response was intentionally smart-ass to test his resolve and when he took it in stride I felt a stronger urge to try to help. =p
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
xnappo wrote:
tranx wrote:

I agree...I'd like to take pieces of all the old documentation and merge/update it all into a new updated guide of the whole process. I responded directly inline in this thread rather than going to the wiki because my first response was intentionally smart-ass to test his resolve and when he took it in stride I felt a stronger urge to try to help. =p

The other problem is that it doesn't seem to be possible to create accounts on the wiki...so it's not really possible to get started editing. The "log in / create account" gives no actual way to create accounts. /shrug
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vyrolan wrote:
The other problem is that it doesn't seem to be possible to create accounts on the wiki...so it's not really possible to get started editing. The "log in / create account" gives no actual way to create accounts. /shrug

Did ya see this little snippet at the bottom of the first page...

Quote:
Note to new Wiki users

Due to the incredibly high number of spam accounts being created on this wiki, we have been forced to disable the New Account feature. If you wish to contribute to the wiki, please contact either Rob or Vicky via the main JP1 forum.

Vyrolan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Did ya see this little snippet at the bottom of the first page...

Quote:
Note to new Wiki users

Due to the incredibly high number of spam accounts being created on this wiki, we have been forced to disable the New Account feature. If you wish to contribute to the wiki, please contact either Rob or Vicky via the main JP1 forum.

No actually...because it's at the bottom of the main page but the "log in / create account" is at the top. =p It says nothing on that page and after the link still says "log in / create account". =p =p =p
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. There's a limit to how much I can customize in the Wiki software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: