JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scientific Atlanta VCR Commander Part # 574656 Hacking?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Scientific Atlanta VCR Commander Part # 574656 Hacking? Reply with quote

I was recently given a box of miscellaneous cables and in the box was a Scientific Atlanta VCR Commander Model # E2052-VC with a part # of 574656. I was curious so I took it apart and I noticed that it was made by UEIC (Universal Electronics Inc.) and it even has a 6-Pin JP1 connector. Can I do anything with this? I do have a JP1 Cable
here are some picture of the VCR Commander

cauer29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly intriguing. A serial port controlled JP1 eeprom remote. Slightly before the dawn of time, there were serial port interface JP1 remotes. From the datecodes on this, it looks to be circa 2000. Not likely to be very capable at best.

Hook up a JP1 cable and see what ID it returns.

A.A.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see what a download looks like too.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program do I use to get a remote ID and what do I do in the program to see the remotes ID?
Also it might take me a few days to a week to get this done as I have to build another XP machine
Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would use IR.exe which will let you download the remote's memory, then post the file here and we'll get the info from it.

This appears to have an EEPROM, so you would need a regular JP1 cable, rather than a JP1.x cable.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Got to it sooner then I expected! Reply with quote

I dug out my "Old" XP machine and I managed to take a screen shot of the IR Window.

Here is a Link to the IR file that has the information about the device
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Got to it sooner then I expected! Reply with quote

110220Volts wrote:
Here is a Link to the IR file that has the information about the device

I've copied the file to our file section for safe keeping:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11261

Unfortunately, there's really nothing interesting in there, it's pretty much an empty EEPROM.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is not much (If anything) I can do with this (Outside of its intended purpose of course)? I found the users Manual for this thing but I don't have a compatible Set Top Box.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

110220Volts wrote:
So there is not much (If anything) I can do with this (Outside of its intended purpose of course)? I found the users Manual for this thing but I don't have a compatible Set Top Box.

Just a little curious, what did you use to power the device when downloading? I expect that the 8 pin mini-DIN connector was supposed to supply power, but since you don't have the mating STB, where did power for the eeprom come from? JP1 cables don't normally power the eeprom but instead bridge pin 5 to pin 6 on the JP1 header. That connects the batteries in the remote to the eeprom VDD pin.

If there was no power being supplied, it's possible that just toggling the clock line enough was sufficient to pump the VDD bypass capacitor up enough to allow a download. I wouldn't want to rely on having gotten a good download though.

A.A.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: I thought the JP1 Cable supplied power Reply with quote

cauer29 wrote:
110220Volts wrote:

Just a little curious, what did you use to power the device when downloading? I expect that the 8 pin mini-DIN connector was supposed to supply power, but since you don't have the mating STB, where did power for the eeprom come from? JP1 cables don't normally power the eeprom but instead bridge pin 5 to pin 6 on the JP1 header. That connects the batteries in the remote to the eeprom VDD pin.

If there was no power being supplied, it's possible that just toggling the clock line enough was sufficient to pump the VDD bypass capacitor up enough to allow a download. I wouldn't want to rely on having gotten a good download though.

A.A.

I did not power this
I just plugged in the JP1 Cable, as I thought the JP1 cable supplied power through the PC's parallel port
oops I guess Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: