JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NetGear-AV2000 Media Player anomoly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ednedn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: NetGear-AV2000 Media Player anomoly Reply with quote

This help request references the files in this upload:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11174

OK guys... I don't know what to do! I tried learning the various buttons from my NetGear-AV2000 Media Player onto my URC-8810. Pretty much, the learned buttons don't work. Some do occasionally do something, but they don't work right. For example, originally the Play button would only pause a playing movie, it would not restart the movie playing even though the same button is used for Select-Play-Pause.

So I decided to learn that button 10 times onto my 1-9 & 0 button. Some of the learned keys would start a movie playing but not pause it. Other buttons would do the opposite. They would pause a playing movie but not start it playing. Very Strange! It seems the biggest difference between the learned sequences is something called t=0 or t=1 on the IR Decode screen of IR.EXE. I don't have a clue what this is, and it would be interesting to hear an explanation.

I went into Key Master and created an upgrade for the remote using the information IR gave me on the Learned Key screen. I fed this upgrade into IR and programed up my URC-8810 remote. ***MAGICALLY*** everything worked even though the learned key information that IR gave me to create the upgrade did not work. Go figure????

So included in the following archive is a working upgrade for the NetGear-AV2000 Media Player when placed on a URC-8810 remote. (And as a good JP1 Citizen, I figured I should add my other working upgrades to be placed into the library in case somebody else has similar equipment.)

But here is the weird part. Besides the fact the original learned sequences don't work on the remote, I have another problem I don't understand. When I try to put this same upgrade on my URC-8910 remote everything works except the INFO key. What I did was change the remote type in Key Master to be a URC-8910, and added a new device into IR using that generated information. Everything works swell except the INFO button. The info button on a URC-8910 seems to send a INFO and then a HOME to the media player. That totally disrupts the movie experience because you are no longer watching the movie when you check to see how far into it you are.

I've tried learning the INFO sequence from the original remote onto the INFO button of the URC-8910 with no luck. It says it learned the sequence successfully, but it flat out doesn't work. But if I learn the INFO sequence a bunch of times onto the number keys, some will make the info display pop up, and some other ones will make it disappear. But no one button will toggle it on and off. Very weird! Especially since the programing of the upgrade using Key Master and IR works just fine on the URC-8810. And just as the Play-Pause button toggles back and forth, that works just fine on both the URC-8810 and URC-8910 when done as an upgrade.

Incidentally, the IR Learned Key screen gives 3 values of what it learned. I have used all of the possible values and none of them seem to resolve this issue with the INFO key. I also attempted to try different RC5 protocols, but I don't know enough to make that work.

In the archive, I have the Key Master upgrade. And I have an IR dump of the upgrade working on a URC-8810 remote. The URC-8910 had problems learning most of the keys so I put all of the learned signals on the CD device of the URC-8810. On the AUX device is the working upgrade done as a Key Master upgrade. The IR dump of the learned sequences on a URC-8910 looks identical to what they look like on a URC-8810. But for some reason, the URC-8910 has problems learning most of the signals from this remote.

Does anybody have a way to get me over the finish line?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NetGear-AV2000 Media Player anomoly Reply with quote

ednedn wrote:
Pretty much, the learned buttons don't work. Some do occasionally do something, but they don't work right. For example, originally the Play button would only pause a playing movie, it would not restart the movie playing even though the same button is used for Select-Play-Pause.

So I decided to learn that button 10 times onto my 1-9 & 0 button. Some of the learned keys would start a movie playing but not pause it. Other buttons would do the opposite. They would pause a playing movie but not start it playing. Very Strange! It seems the biggest difference between the learned sequences is something called t=0 or t=1 on the IR Decode screen of IR.EXE. I don't have a clue what this is, and it would be interesting to hear an explanation.

The T means it is a toggling protocol. It sends out a different value with each key press. Learns often will not work correctly if it is a toggling protocol, where the button is supposed to change. The upgrade does the toggling for you.

Quote:

So included in the following archive is a working upgrade for the NetGear-AV2000 Media Player when placed on a URC-8810 remote. (And as a good JP1 Citizen, I figured I should add my other working upgrades to be placed into the library in case somebody else has similar equipment.)

Thanks, I wish everybody was a good jp1 citizen.

There is no approval process, so could you submit each of the upgrades to the proper upgrade category. Thanks

Quote:

But here is the weird part. When I try to put this same upgrade on my URC-8910 remote everything works except the INFO key. What I did was change the remote type in Key Master to be a URC-8910, and added a new device into IR using that generated information.

Does anybody have a way to get me over the finish line?

You didn't include the IR file with the problem.

Since you DID change the remote type, did you check to see if you have a learn or a keymove on the INFO key, that is blocking the button from your new setup code?

Otherwise post the problematic IR file and we'll take a look.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ednedn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once you DID change the remote type, did you check to see if you have a learn or a keymove on the INFO key, that is blocking the button from your new setup code?

Your a champ!!!! I don't know how that stupid key move got in there, but your analysis was correct! I deleted it and now everything is golden.

So how does Key Master know from that limited amount of information that it is a toggling protocol and what the different values should be sent? Somebody did a huge amount of work to figure this stuff out and reverse engineer it!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ednedn wrote:
So how does Key Master know from that limited amount of information that it is a toggling protocol and what the different values should be sent? Somebody did a huge amount of work to figure this stuff out and reverse engineer it!

KM knows because you selected RC5 as your protocol. In order for your remote to be able to generate a signal it needs what we call an "executor". An executor is a piece of assembler code that does whatever work is necessary to re-create the infrared signal. In most cases, the executor just comtains some timing information, but in the case of RC5 and any other toggling protocols, it also does work to ensure that the toggle bit is set differently with each button press. The method that is used is not foolproof, but it works most of the time.
ednedn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! One more stupid question if you have the time? I want to have this device on the AUX button. But for some reason, I can't make the Volume Punch Through go to the TV when it is on the AUX button. It works just fine on VCR or DVD. But for some reason the Volume Punch Through doesn't work on AUX.

Is it supposed to be this way?

I dug a little deeper... Apparently, the URC-8910 does Volume Punch Through on AUX. And I have stuff setup the same on the URC-8810 and it refuses to do the Volume Punch Through. (And I checked... there are no learned signals or key moves in either remote now!)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again this would be a little easier to figure out if we had the IR file to look at instead of using our imagination.

On the general tab, did you scrolled all the way down to #15, where the AUX VPT setting is located? Is the VPT on?

If it is on, and there are no keymoves or learns then my guess is the device type on the AUX device type is the culprit.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ednedn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Again this would be a little easier to figure out if we had the IR file to look at instead of using our imagination.

On the general tab, did you scrolled all the way down to #15, where the AUX VPT setting is located? Is the VPT on?

If it is on, and there are no keymoves or learns then my guess is the device type on the AUX device type is the culprit.

Thanks! You are right again! I guess I'm going to use key moves instead of forcing the upgrade to be of AUDIO type. I still don't know why the UCR-8910 works and the URC-8810 did not. But I'll keep working at it.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: