JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Faulty URC-9910?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radunn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Faulty URC-9910? Reply with quote

Using the 9910 for a couple years, have it in a case with foam to prevent damage from falls etc. Lately it must have fallen like the 1st one I owned as I now hear (again) a small particle moving near the IR bulb inside. I've seen an opened 9910 link posted here but have no idea as to how to open it; can someone advise?

A problem with the 9910 is its slow responses for my Samsung SMT-H3362 STB. A macro flawlessly turns on the TV and STB. TV mode immediately responds to button presses but functions for the STB are delayed; especially entering 4 digit channels that often only enter 3 digits (instead of 4) or the cycle times out. I have device IR/RM files. Is it possible a pause etc. should be entered into the upgrade file or some sort of revision for faster IR signaling response?

I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries in the 9910; are these recommended over alkaline? Is there another jp1 compatible remote equivalent/better than the 9910? I like the capabilities of it. In advance thanks for your time and support.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the part that almost always breaks free in the 9910 is the modem coil, so that's what's rattling around inside yours.

The general article that describes how to open a remote is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/disassemble/

The 9910 is easy to open. First you need to remove the 2 small screws in the battery compartment, then you need to use a small screwdriver or something similar to pry open the casing near the bottom (ie, the end with the logo) of the remote, then you can pry the rest of the casing apart using an old credit card, plastic putty knife or even your finger nail.

Once it's open, you should see the plastic coil that has come adrift. If the wires are still attached all you need to do is re-glue it back in place. If the wires are broken, you will see a small solder spot in the circle where they should be soldered.

However, you should also decide if you even want to re-attach the modem, because if you're a JP1 user, do you have any use for it?
radunn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Once it's open, you should see the plastic coil that has come adrift. If the wires are still attached all you need to do is re-glue it back in place. If the wires are broken, you will see a small solder spot in the circle where they should be soldered.

However, you should also decide if you even want to re-attach the modem, because if you're a JP1 user, do you have any use for it?

Thank you; it only needed to be re-glued. Not sure if I need it or not, since it came with it... why not keep it.

Anyways, the problem remains. When changing channels (4 digit series), sometimes only 2 digits register. Only very seldom are all 4 digits registered. The issue seems to be confined to the numeric keypad. Do the keypad/contacts need to be cleaned? If so, is denatured alcohol sufficient and is applying contact paint necessary after cleaning? I noticed 2 small screws once the cover was disassembled; do these need to be removed to access the keypad? Again thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Faulty URC-9910? Reply with quote

radunn wrote:
A problem with the 9910 is its slow responses for my Samsung SMT-H3362 STB. A macro flawlessly turns on the TV and STB. TV mode immediately responds to button presses but functions for the STB are delayed; especially entering 4 digit channels that often only enter 3 digits (instead of 4) or the cycle times out. I have device IR/RM files. Is it possible a pause etc. should be entered into the upgrade file or some sort of revision for faster IR signaling response?

Let's first determine if the issue is with the physical buttons on the 9910. Can you use the number buttons for any of your other devices and if so, do they exhibit the same problem? If so, they may need cleaning. So, re-open your remote and try using an electrical contact cleaner to clean the PCB.

If the problem is limited to just the Samsung SMT-H3362 STB, does the original Samsung remote work fine? If it does, try learning the numeric buttons from the Samsung remote using the 9910, then post the resulting IR file so we can examine the signals.
radunn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Faulty URC-9910? Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

If the problem is limited to just the Samsung SMT-H3362 STB, does the original Samsung remote work fine? If it does, try learning the numeric buttons from the Samsung remote using the 9910, then post the resulting IR file so we can examine the signals.

IR file: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11193. As far as the delayed responses to numeric entries etc., I think it's the cable box itself as the original RC also is delayed.

New problem: Red IR indicator does not blink after buttons are pressed. As mentioned earlier I re-glued the modem ring (back end), now the IR/RF command center does not respond. The RC's disassembled but I don't see the IR disconnection. Again thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the cable OEM remote has the same problem, then it's not something we can fix.

If you re-gluing the modem ring appears to have caused the red LED and the RF transmitter to no longer work, the best I can suggest is that you examine your handywork to see if you can see what might have caused it. It's hard to guess from a distance without being able to see it.

Just FYI, the red LED is just a visual aid, it doesn't control anything.
radunn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

If you re-gluing the modem ring appears to have caused the red LED and the RF transmitter to no longer work, the best I can suggest is that you examine your handywork to see if you can see what might have caused it. It's hard to guess from a distance without being able to see it.

Just FYI, the red LED is just a visual aid, it doesn't control anything.

Rechecking the glue work the only section glued (on white cylinder ring) was at the bottom (careful not to glue over contacts etc.).

Checking the LED+, LED-, the red plastic was broke in half and the black chip/cylinder under the wafer section (has 2 small coil springs and elongated coil) at IR+, IR- is not attached to the PCB. Should this cylinder be attached?

Will the current RC have IR/RF problems with the Next Generation Remote Control Extender as a replacement? What JP1 remote do you recommend as a replacement; preferably one with a IR/RF command center. Again thanks for your time and support.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red LED is just a visual aid, it doesn't play a role in the remote working, so you should decide if you would like to replace it.

As for the other part that broke, I can't picture what it is from your description and I don't have an open 9910 handy to look at, so could you post a picture of it perhaps?
radunn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The red LED is just a visual aid, it doesn't play a role in the remote working, so you should decide if you would like to replace it.

As for the other part that broke, I can't picture what it is from your description and I don't have an open 9910 handy to look at, so could you post a picture of it perhaps?

OPEN 9910 http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8669/9910.jpg
Relative post: http://xxx.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10962&sid=a9c174d1f9a917631471b9a17522c8ff

Looking at the JPG, I applied glue to between the upper and lower pre-glued sections and a little to the inner portion). On the RF module there's a small red plastic bulb that is broke in half; the wiring to/through this bulb looks intact. The above post indicates a 4 pin connector for the RF module/puck that required re-soldering; I have not found this. Is this RF module responsible for communicating w/Command Ctr.? Obviously (although not important, I guess) the red light doesn't blink for a reason.

What is the procedure for posting images? I cannot relocate the link or website for processing images. Again thanks for your relentless support.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the broken part in the picture.

We don't have our own image hosting on the forum, but there is a sticky post in the Beginner's Forum that explains how to post an image using Imageshack.

When you talk about the "red plastic blub" are you talking about the red LED that is supposed to light up as you press buttons, if so, this has nothing to do with the RF puck. Or are you seeing something else? Could you take a close up pic of the broken parts?
radunn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I can't see the broken part in the picture.

When you talk about the "red plastic blub" are you talking about the red LED that is supposed to light up as you press buttons, if so, this has nothing to do with the RF puck. Or are you seeing something else? Could you take a close up pic of the broken parts?

Listed are pics opened 9910
PCB underside [img=http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/605/9910pcbbtmajc.th.jpg]
Re-glued modem ring (whiter glue - outer/inner portion of ring) [img=http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1610/9910pcbtopajc.th.jpg]
Case top (red plastic broken) [img=http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1686/9910coverajc.th.jpg]
RF puck [img=http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2024/9910pcbtopmidajc.th.jpg]
Hope these make sense! Again thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the red bulb in the following image is definitely the red LED. This part has absolutely NOTHING to do with the RF ability of the remote, it's just a visual aid that lights up when you press a button. I don't recall there being anything special about this part, so you should be able to replace it with any red LED (or get a different color if you like).

I don't see anything obviously wrong with the RF puck, so I'm not sure what the problem is there.

radunn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robman,
At front/top of RF puck I removed the small cylinder plastic (ΒΌ"). It was not connected to anything; only filling the hole.

Is there a specific size for the red LED? Apparently being it's broke is reason for its non-illumination. Visually it helps me gauge battery performance.

Unfortunately I sold my other 9910 (loose modem ring) but am looking for another JP1_IR/RF ctr. replacement; any recommendations? Lastly, given the current problems is it possible the Next Generation Remote Control Extender will work as a replacement?

Thanks much for your assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: