JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Piece of JP1 parallel cable missing? +001F protocol question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Piece of JP1 parallel cable missing? +001F protocol question Reply with quote

I could use some help while dusting few things off:

#1 - This cable seems to work fine, but ...
I think some sort of a cover got lost (how??) over the years.

If the shots are too unclear, let me know, I'll try to do better.
If a cover is really missing, can I just put some silicone caulk on it to keep the wires protected?

#2 - Protocol detail - Panasonic mix combo
8910 and 7800 have a built in protocol 001F. But 6131, Atlas (3A003A00) and RCRP05B (3A793A79) have 001F:8.
What's the difference? Is it something we should know or don't care?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PID 001F is the older executor, and it uses 4 fixed bytes. It was intended for use not only with Panasonic, but with other Kaseikyo class protocols which use the same check sum scheme as Panasonic. So 2 of the 4 bytes are used for the OEM bytes (2 and 32 for Panasonic), leaving only room for 2 device numbers. This is generally called Panasonic VCR Combo.

PID 001F:8 uses 8 bytes of fixed data, so it can handle 6 device/subdevice numbers. As you know, this can be a big help in making Panasonic upgrades. It's known as Panasonic Mixed (not MIX!; that's homemade) Combo.

RM/RMIR (via protocols.ini and RDF files) knows which executor a given remote has. If you want to use the Mixed Combo in an older remote, a protocol executor will be required.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was resurrecting old, old, upgrade and here a protocol was needed and there it wasn't, which is why I was snooping through the RDFs, and your answer explains perfectly.

Any idea about that parallel cable question?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) and those are designed to work with a ribbon cable. The cable in the picture has a white jacket which seems to have been cut away. Anyway, an IDC connector does normally have another piece of plastic which is intended to act as strain relief, but it would typically be used with a ribbon cable. I'm not at all sure how well that would work with your jacketed cable.

I'd use a hot glue gun, but I suppose Silicone would also work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: