JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onkyo RC-737M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiceRex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Onkyo RC-737M Reply with quote

Dear All,

As it is my first post I would like to thank all of you for this excellent forum and the wiki. I have a URC7950 remote which I could easily upgrade and customize to my own needs (especially for WD TV Live) by information found here.

To the topic: dismantling the Onkyo RC-737M remote control I've found that it is also JP1 remote. It is written inside:
Onkyo baby GEN II remote
URC-6300BC1-XXX-R
JP1.4

I've learnt that currently JP1.4 remotes are not supported by RM, but I decided to give it a try. There were no pins inside the remote, just the place where the connector should be soldered. So I did it, and it connects like a charm. The test says:
jp1xtest version 0.00

*** FOUND A JP1.2/3 COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM1! ***
Signature is 31553155
Memory address is $0600
Memory size is $0080 (128)

Next I started RMIR (v2.02 Beta), but it cannot download the data, saying:
No RDF matches signature starting 3155

I started looking into the RDF files to make one for this remote, but it's not clear what to write where. My question is: how to discover the remote's data? It has no learning capabilities, so the usual way cannot be applied here. The AMP/Audio/1320 code on my URC7950 can almost exactly simulate its functions. Could anybody help, please?

Thank you, TiceRex
TiceRex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: raw data Reply with quote

I've uploaded the raw download here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11046
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The raw download is very helpful. This is actually a JP1.3 remote, in spite of the 1.4 on the silkscreen. We can tell that because the signature is 8 bytes long. We've seen one other remote which was labeled 1.4 but acted like a 1.3 remote.

Anyway, the news here is not good. The line
Code:
Memory size is $0080 (128)
means this remote is seriously short on memory. A typical remote of this general type would have between 10 and 50 time more memory. For example, your 7950 has 32 times more memory. So at first blush, the Onkyo is not a very good candidate for JP1 modifications, because there isn't enough room to upload more than perhaps one upgrade.

To make an RDF, we need to know the button numbers. If the remote supports keymoves (994) or macros (995), you can program those in manually, and then do raw downloads to see the button numbers. Or if the PCB has the button numbers silkscreened (e.g. "S21"), we can use those.

But frankly, I doubt it is worth the trouble. More likely, the remote doesn't implement those capabilities.

BTW, it looks like the remote is setup to control a Motorola cable box. It appears to has 8 devices, with devices 5-6 (570D and 670D at 614 and 616 in the Raw Data) showing setup code 1805. That's an Onkyo receiver code.
TiceRex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answer.

About the memory size: I thought about the same, but I hoped that it is not the actual size, but only the part the software could identify with limited JP1.4 support.

Button numbers: unfortunately not the button numbers, but the functions (play, stop, etc.) are written on the PCB. However, I could find some device update files simulating its functions on other remotes.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8146
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8539
There are maybe more, as far as I know this remote has been bundled with other types of Onkyo receivers also. Aren't these files helpful to identify the buttons? This remote cannot store any macros or keymoves - or at least the usual codes are not working here.

It has 8 programmable "remote mode/input selector" and 2 programmable "remote mode" buttons (the 3rd one is hardcoded to the receiver). The formers controlling both the selected device and setting the receiver to the proper input channel, the latter ones are for control only. I don't know which button is set to control a Motorola cable box. The DVD button is set to Philips DVP5960 (32056 code on Onkyo, 1813 code on URC7950), the TV button is set to LG 42LW5590 (10178 code on Onkyo, 1423 code on URC7950). All other buttons are unassigned.

Anyway, you're probably right, it's not worth the trouble. This remote has very limited capabilities. I just thought it would be fun to hack this one also. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: