JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nothing
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: nothing Reply with quote

nothing

Last edited by Tommy Tyler on Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ellen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need yet another cable like I need a hole in the head. But on Tuesday I was placing an order at Digi-Key for components for another project and decided to include the FTDI cable, header and pins from Tommy's excellent guide. Parts arrived today.

I will say that it is ridiculously easy to put this together. I can only imagine someone having trouble if they have difficulty seeing very small items. If that's the case, a small magnifying glass will help to make sure you have a good crimp.

Installed the driver from FTDI.

Cable worked without problem in IR803.

As always, thank you Tommy for providing this info and your contributions to the jp1 community over the years. Very much appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ellen, don't be such a stranger
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob. I still stop in a couple of times a week Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're a lurker these days, eh?
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never hold a candle to you and the other experts when it comes to answering questions and helping new users.

And I haven't added any new equipment to my system in a long time so no need to build new upgrades or ask questions for myself.

I mostly stop in just to keep up with what's going on. Watch out for new jp1-capable remotes (because we can never have enough remotes, right?) And obviously I like to keep track of new interfaces Very Happy
tranx

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Source in uk please? Reply with quote

Hi.

Having just decided to have a go, I want to try to make a USB JP1.2 cable for URC-7780 which is on order.

Having used the info kindly provided here, I am awaiting a reply to an email enquiry to info@audon.co.uk, but has anyone already found a source for these parts in Uk, please?

Regards
Chris
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTDI have their Global Headquarters just down the road from me in Glasgow but ironically I can't just walk in and buy parts. They do, however, have a Web Shop and sometimes Amazon.co.uk lists stuff that is undoubtedly either by them or built to the same spec's..
tranx

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks underquark. I went to the website you linked and found the very TTL-232R-3VR (3.3V) which Tommy Tyler mentions.

The URC-7780 remote, which I want to connect to laptop, carries 4xAAA 1.5V batteries but is the 3.3V connection recommended in order to match the link to USB?
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.3V version is recommended because 6V remotes have a voltage regulator to drop the voltage to 3.3V for the flash processor, and that's what you're interfacing to.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tommy. Think we may find the URC-7780 screen too small to tell what device is currently set. Problem is that the range of JP1s in uk is not so extensive and we need at least 8 devices. If there were more buttons per device we might manage with 6 devices though.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tranx. I think that the URC-7780, and the very similar URC-7781, are among the best UEI remotes available. Although I have a collection of remotes for testing and development, the one I use every day is a URC-7781. You might find my extender for it to be useful. You can set that up so that Magic+digit acts as a device selector, so that you can select any device without being able to see the screen.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham.
Nice to hear you think the 7780/1 are good UEI remotes. In fact between my last post and your reply I had already found the instructions and readme for your Extender A1!

That Magic+digit device selection sounds great, and ToadTog use most interesting, but I still have to get the lead and programs sorted out and get to try and understand the various terms and principles involved.

I thought the memory shortage leading e.g. to restriction to about 50 learned instructions, might prove a nuisance which I hope will be circumvented with JP1 progs and Extender, and that device selector would be especially useful.
Regards
Chris
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...restriction to about 50 learned instructions, might prove a nuisance which I hope will be circumvented with JP1 progs and Extender,...
You almost never need to keep the "learn" memory occupied when you use JP1, with or without the extender. Usually you can find your device(s) in the library here and not even need to learn at all. In rare cases you may need to learn buttons, but with JP1 you can then can create an upgrade and free up the storage again.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
You almost never need to keep the "learn" memory occupied when you use JP1, with or without the extender. Usually you can find your device(s) in the library here and not even need to learn at all. In rare cases you may need to learn buttons, but with JP1 you can then can create an upgrade and free up the storage again.
Thanks, I shall look for an upgrade library and see if my devices are already there.

Installed Remote Master etc. which seems ok so far, and ordered a ready-made JP1.2/3 USB cable from diygadget.com who post internationally for $5 and have a $22.99 offer on, but haven't got the URC-7780s yet to try out what is on offer at the website.

Regards
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: