JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help with my devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ankur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Please help with my devices Reply with quote

Hi All.

Ok - I have read as much as I can (documents, messages, etc) but I just can't find something general enough to help me here. I also noticed that you guys get a lot of these kinds of questions and I hope you wouldn't mind one more.

I just got the 9910 remote and so far it is great. All of my devices were setup with standard out-of-box codes. However, for each of the devices there are some buttons that I don't have codes for. I know that I can simply learn these codes to the remote but I thought why do all that work when someone might have created a KM file for it. I looked for that but I can't find anything for my devices. Besides some standard functions, I am also looking for special codes for example power on/off for TV, direct codes for switching inputs, etc. I am such a newbie here and I appreciate all the help you guys provide for nothing in return. I'm not sure how you could help me here but if you could point me in some direction then I think I can finish the rest. I am listing all the devices I have below if you have any information (like a KM file) for any of them.

TV: Panasonic 51HX41 (same as 47wx49) Code: 250
VCR: Sony SLV-778HF Code: 0032
SAT: Dish Echostar 3000 Code: 0775
CBL: Motorola DCT-5100 Code: 0476
HDTV: Samsung SIR-T151
RCVR: Panasonic SA-XR45

Again, I truely appreciate all your help here. I don't expect you to build the IR file for me but if you already have any of these devices programmed, that would help me A LOT!!!

BTW - I don't want you guys to think I haven't done any work at all. I have actually found KM files for the dvd and the HDTV devices. I found code for the SAT device as well but that was for URC-7560. Do you think I can use it? For these devices, let me know if you have any additional codes/commands or a better implementation.

Thanks.

-- Ankur
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Please help with my devices Reply with quote

ankur wrote:
I know that I can simply learn these codes to the remote but I thought why do all that work when someone might have created a KM file for it.

Learning a button and noting the EFC so you can create a keymove is a lot of work? I think you're over-estimating or you don't understand how simple things are with JP1.

ankur wrote:
CBL: Motorola DCT-5100 Code: 0476

Look here for the EFC's for the advanced codes for these devices.
ankur wrote:
BTW - I don't want you guys to think I haven't done any work at all. I have actually found KM files for the dvd and the HDTV devices. I found code for the SAT device as well but that was for URC-7560. Do you think I can use it?

Yes, load KM in Excel, then click the Load button and load the text file. Change the remote type to 8910/9910 and you should be set.

You'll do better trying to describe a simple problem (I can't program this key for this device) then by listing everything. Tackle the problems one at a time and come back with specific questions. That's the best way to help us help you.
ankur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright gjarboni -

First off, can you please tell me what do I do with the advanced codes? Do they go into the KM spreadsheet or do I plug them somewhere in IR?

I have already looked at the advanced codes and found just the things/functions I needed. But then I was lost. I have advanced codes for a device where I don't have a KM file for. Now - if I create a simple KM file just for the functions I want and then put it in IR and upload it, would I clear other functionality of that device? For example - my cbl device works great with standard code but I am missing the pg up/pg down functions. I found codes for those on the adv. codes section but I didn't find a KM file. Now do I create a KM file where I have to map every key again or do I simply create one with only those two functions? I know that you're thinking that I should just learn those two functions and that'll solve the problem. I am simply using that as an example to try to get the right answers to map a lot of keys for lot of other devices. If there is a simpler way to achieve these tasks then I certainly would love to hear it. I hope I am explaining properly what I am trying to achieve here.

My other concern is that can I really mess up the remote somehow where I can't get back to the original state? I think a reset is available but I'm just trying to be careful for the first few times.

Thanks for extending your help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Please help with my devices Reply with quote

Ankur,
You say that you don't have KM files for your devices, so I guess my question is, why not? I was able to find files for each of your devices.

[url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/Cable/Motorola%20(GI)%20DCT-2000(2244).txt]CBL: Motorola DCT-5100 Code: 0476[/url]
HDTV: Samsung SIR-T151
RCVR: Panasonic SA-XR45

If the function in question is missing from the KM file, you can use the info you gleamed from learning to add it.

If you don't want to bother with KM, you could use the EFCs you found via learning to create keymoves, based on the built in setup codes that you are using.

As for your question about messing things up, if you save a copy of your current configuration (ie, save the IR file) you can always use it to restore to that version later, if you want. In fact, if you save a file every step of the way, you can always go back a step if you do mess things up. This is what we all do, even us experts!
ankur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Guys -

I've finally figured most of this out. I have all of my devices programmed and the keys are mapped where I would like them to be. I've done most of my work using the advanced codes and key moves. I have also used the existing KeyMaster files quite a bit for devices where I didn't want create a lot of key moves.

I have a few questions now that I hope you can help me with.

1. What is the Shift function in IR? I think it has something to do when I need to execute multiple commands from a same device. Is that correct? I need to program my power button when in CBL mode to power on the cable box and the TV. Would Shift be used here? Is creating a macro a better way to approach this?

2. I wanted to use the FAV button for some things but I noticed that it doesn't exist in the KeyMaster. When I tried to add it myself I noticed that it messed up everything else. I also checked the maps for Remote Master and noticed that the FAV button is not mapped. Is there a reason why this button can't be mapped in these apps? I know that I can simply learn it to whatever I want but I was just wondering.

3. On Phantom buttons (and macros) - I've read that it's best to program some discrete codes into phantom buttons. I don't want those buttons to be used just for normal usage but I would like them to be used in macros (ex. Watch DVD) I'm not sure how to program one of these advanced codes into a phantom button. Can you guys help me with that?

4. .... Umm... I forgot. I'll come back to it.

<edit>
Aha! I remember now.

4. What are extenders? Are they like remote upgrades? What do they upgrade? I noticed that for my remote (9910 / HTPro) some people have downloaded and installed extenders (version 3?). I looked on the JP1 files area and couldn't find a whole lot.
</edit>

Anyway, thanks for your help thus far. Once I have everything done, I'll be thinking of ways to give back to the community besides just answering questions in the forum.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ankur wrote:
1. What is the Shift function in IR? I think it has something to do when I need to execute multiple commands from a same device. Is that correct? I need to program my power button when in CBL mode to power on the cable box and the TV. Would Shift be used here? Is creating a macro a better way to approach this?
Almost all JP1 remotes have a shift key. It is typically the Setup button. Press Setup then Power, and the remote will do whatever has been programmed to the Shift-Power button. If no shifted function (macro or keymove) has been set up, then it just does it's normal function. Whether you use a macro or a keymove as a shifted function depends on what you are trying to do. A macro is global (works regardless of which device is active in the remote), so, for example, if you put a macro on the Shift-Power button to turn on the TV and the Cable box, then it will always do that even if the remote is in VCR mode.
ankur wrote:
2. I wanted to use the FAV button for some things but I noticed that it doesn't exist in the KeyMaster. When I tried to add it myself I noticed that it messed up everything else. I also checked the maps for Remote Master and noticed that the FAV button is not mapped. Is there a reason why this button can't be mapped in these apps? I know that I can simply learn it to whatever I want but I was just wondering.
The remote itself determines which buttons are mapped, and that cannot be changed. RM or KM are simply reflecting the way the remote is. In the specific case of the Fav button, the remote handles this button specially (for the built-in scan function), and may get really upset if you try to put a keymove or macro on it.
ankur wrote:
3. On Phantom buttons (and macros) - I've read that it's best to program some discrete codes into phantom buttons. I don't want those buttons to be used just for normal usage but I would like them to be used in macros (ex. Watch DVD) I'm not sure how to program one of these advanced codes into a phantom button. Can you guys help me with that?
You would typically put a keymove on the Phantom button, and then refer to it from within a macro. For example, if you keymoved a discrete power on command to the VCR and TV phantoms, then a macro like: TV Phantom1 VCR Phantom1 would turn them both on.
ankur wrote:
4. What are extenders? Are they like remote upgrades? What do they upgrade? I noticed that for my remote (9910 / HTPro) some people have downloaded and installed extenders (version 3?). I looked on the JP1 files area and couldn't find a whole lot.
An extender is a program that takes over control of the remote and makes it behave differently. It is diguised as an upgrade so that the remote will activate it initially. Once it has control of the remote, it can add new features, and take away restrictions.
ankur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby - Thanks a lot for answering all my questions.

Regarding to my question 1, I am thinking that from a useability standpoint it would be better if I program the macro (for my case) without the shift button. I can use the toggle power for a particular device using the shift function in case I need to use it. Also, since it is not a macro, it's not global and thus I could use different power for TV and cable.

For Question 3, can someone please tell me how to make use of the phantom buttons in IR? I can't figure it out.

Also for Question 4, can someone please tell me where I could find extenders for the 9910? I have heard that there is a version 3 available but I can't find it.

Thanks again to all.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ankur wrote:
Regarding to my question 1, I am thinking that from a useability standpoint it would be better if I program the macro (for my case) without the shift button. I can use the toggle power for a particular device using the shift function in case I need to use it. Also, since it is not a macro, it's not global and thus I could use different power for TV and cable..
Agreed, it is always best IMHO to only put functions on shifted buttons if I am going to use them in macros. On most remotes it is a pain to shift a button to use it. On the other hand putting obscure functions on shifted buttons and not on phantoms they can still be accessed from the buttons if they are needed.

ankur wrote:
For Question 3, can someone please tell me how to make use of the phantom buttons in IR? I can't figure it out. .
Phantoms are good to put functions on that will be needed in macros and NEVER from the nuttons since the are not a physical button. They are especially good for LKP and toadtogs. To use a phantom you can create a keymove on them in either KM, RM and/or IR by selecting them just like any other button.

ankur wrote:
Also for Question 4, can someone please tell me where I could find extenders for the 9910? I have heard that there is a version 3 available but I can't find it.
There is not a version 3 for the 8910/9910/HTPro. There is only version 1 right now.
ankur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nils_Ekberg.
I don't think I explained my question very well for phantom buttons.

I want to put most of the discrete commands into the phantom buttons for the devices. However, I can't find the phantom buttons in the "Key" dropdown in IR. I'm not sure if this is specific for my remote (9910) or what but I'm not sure how I can assign a key-move to a phantom button when I can't find it in IR.

I'm getting so close to having my remote programmed exactly the way I want - mostly thanks to you guys for answering my weird questions.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ankur wrote:
I can't find the phantom buttons in the "Key" dropdown in IR. I'm not sure if this is specific for my remote (9910) or what but I'm not sure how I can assign a key-move to a phantom button when I can't find it in IR.
IR only shows the keys as defined within the RDF file. Apparently, there are no phantom keys defined in the 8910/9910 RDF.

I don't know for sure if these will work, but you could try adding these two lines in at the end of the [Buttons] section of the RDF file:
Code:
Phantom1=$3D
Phantom2=$3E

ankur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't RDF files only for RM software? I am using KM where I am using the Load function to load the text file I have found for my devices. I am at work right now and I don't have access to the text files and so I'm not sure yet. But, is that something I can add in the text file? Also, is there a way I can do this in IR? I'm sure other people who own the same remote has done this before.

Thanks.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ankur wrote:
Aren't RDF files only for RM software? I am using KM where I am using the Load function to load the text file I have found for my devices. I am at work right now and I don't have access to the text files and so I'm not sure yet. But, is that something I can add in the text file? Also, is there a way I can do this in IR? I'm sure other people who own the same remote has done this before.

Thanks.
RDF files were originaly defined for IR to understand the remote. RM also decided to use them as they are a good repository of what the remote is like. KM does not directly use the RDF since most of the information from the RDF's is hard coded in KM.

You can in fact add anything you want as far as functions go on the FUNCTIONS tab but you are limited to what buttons KM shows (not greyed out) on the BUTTONS tab.

You can however use whatever buttons that are defined in the RDF in IR and RM
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
you are limited to what buttons KM shows (not greyed out) on the BUTTONS tab

Once again, you can enter hex button codes directly on the Key Moves sheet for any buttons not directly available in KM. This is useful for those missing phantoms everyone talks about.

For example, you can add "Phantom01=$40" to the RDF for IR to use, and then use the "$40" as the Bound Key (with "(upgrade)" as the Bound Dev) on KM's Key Moves sheet. Even if the button isn't defined in the RDF, IR will display it as "Key64".

Sure, it's a kludge, isn't very pretty, and is even harder to remember... but it's there and it works! Wink
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I forgot about that again.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: