JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DishPVR 721 questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a closer look, it appears that your Fixed Data is incorrect in the Device Combiner. The Dishplayer (Old) protocol asks for a Unit Code and Device.

Entering Unit Code=0, Device=0 yields Fixed Data: 00 00
Entering Unit Code=0, Device=16 yields Fixed Data: 00 08

The Fixed Data entries you have in the DC table are:
00 60 = Unit Code=0, Device 6
F0 60 = Unit Code=16, Device 6

I think this is where your problem is.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: partly there Reply with quote

I had the Device and unit backwards for the fixed data on this upgrade, which was part of the problem. When I switched these around the buttons with 0 as the unit ID work correctly. The ones on the second protocol line (unit 16) don't work at all.

It's close.

Good suggestion to try to load the remote with two devices to see if those buttons really work. Never did that as I was trying to go straight to the combined device. I'll be done with that in a few minutes.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, bad news...

The device with Device-0 works fine, the one with device=16 doesn't

I've re-learned all of the device=16 buttons and a couple of device=1 buttons and posted the IR file to the diagnostics folder. The file name is

PVR721-learn

maybe you guys can make some sense of it.

(this is one with the SatID=6 although it shows up as unit=5 here. Interesting if I put Unit=5 into the upgrade, the satellite receiver will reset it self to SatID=5, but the output from IR on a learn with unit=6 says 5)
ogaede

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Similar problems Reply with quote

If you get this worked out, please post your solution somewhere. I've been trying to create a new device code for a Dish PVR501 system for a RS-1994. The one posted on Yahoo doesn't work. I've also learned most of the functions and looking in IR, I also get combinations of device codes 0 11 and 16 11. I had no problem created a new device code for a new Hitachi HD projection TV and for a new Apex progressive scan DVD, but the Dish PVR is been stumping me for a couple of weeks now. I just can't get it to work..at all (none of the buttons) following the same process I used for the other two devices.

Anyway, I'm going to read through this note string again tomorrow when I'm more awake and try some of the things you've done.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, which upgrade on yahoo are you using?

The the upgrade that I posted on yahoo several months ago (a derrivation of another one that someone else posted) works fine with my two DishPVR 508's. (one of which I'm replacing with the PVR721) I've used the upgrade with the Device ID set at both 5 and 6, I think the one I posted was at ID6. (I can't remember if mine is in the PVR section or the satellite section and I can't seem to get into Yahoo right now)

Are you sure that you have the device ID set properly?

Turn the IRD off, push system info on the front of the receiver. You'll see the screen that tells you the SatID and SmartCardID. The Remote ID will be there as well. push record on your remote. If the ID changes, you had the ID set up wrong in the upgrade.

The 501/508/510 doesn't need to use a combiner, everything is all on a single device.
David_Levin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogade: Yes, you really shouldn't be having any problems with the 50x series boxes. They do get a bit tricky if your using different unit codes. I believe you need to be in OBC mode to change the unit codes (keymapmaster).

unclemiltie: I'm surprised there are so many codes on the 2nd device. I can play this weekend. My 921 is in my theatre where I use a large learner (not a jp1) remote. But, I haven't yet touched the thing since disconnecting the 508 (and putting the 921 on the old unit code).

FF, REW, Play, etc all work fine (so it seems like they are responding to the same ir codes at the 508). I haven't tired the PIP codes yet, but herd they may be more problamatic. I'm not a big fan of PIP (and it doesn't work if either tuner is on an HD channel).

The old 721.txt seemes to do it without the device combiner by setting up a spare device and using key moves. The RCU-810 has a lot of devices and the key moves don't take up that much space. By the time you load the device combiner you might not be saving anything.

Have you tried setting up a 2nd device (for device 1) just to make sure the codes work (before messing with device combiner). Perhaps there an issue with needing OBC codes to change the unit id, while the device combiner needs EFC (a rookie stab in the dark).

(Obviously, if you get this working, please post it - I have a 921 which shares 721 ir codes, but the Original Dish remote sends RF only so I can't learn from it).

Last edited by David_Levin on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
David_Levin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
Good news, bad news...

The device with Device-0 works fine, the one with device=16 doesn't

Maybe you should try device1=1 (as per the instructions in the original 721.txt).
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

interesting thought, I had thought that the device that was learned from the remote (16) would be the device for the upgrade, not 1. I went back and opened KM to get the fixed data for the combiner and here's what I got

unit=0, Dev1=0 fixed=00 00
unit=16, Dev1=0 fixed=F0 00
unit=1, Dev1=0 fixed=00 00

So, the fixed data would be the same for Unit =1 and unit=0?

I did at one point set up a device only with the 13 keys at device=16 but they didn't work. (but I didn't try it as device=1)

I tried the combiner setting the devices at 0/1 and unit=0 as above and it doesn't work.

If/when I get this to work, I will certainly post it.
David_Levin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
David
I tried the combiner setting the devices at 0/1 and unit=0 as above and it doesn't work.

Bummer - Once in awhile, IR doesn't decode the learned commands properly. Thanks for trying.

Well, I'll play around a bit this weekend.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:

unit=0, Dev1=0 fixed=00 00
unit=16, Dev1=0 fixed=F0 00
unit=1, Dev1=0 fixed=00 00

So, the fixed data would be the same for Unit =1 and unit=0?

KM and the decoder are clearly not in agreement over how to present this data. I'm not sure of all the differences (I don't have time right now to check the source code). But I can explain one difference.

Inside the IR signal, the unit is a number from 0 to 15. I expect the manufacturer calls the signal containg a unit number of 0 by the name "unit one" and a signal containing unit number 1 by the name "unit two". It is common for electronic devices to number things starting at 0 and people number them starting at 1.

KM compensates for that by subtracting 1 from the unit. Ask for unit 1 and it puts a 0 in the unit field. Ask for unit 16 and it puts a 15 in the unit field. But ask for unit 0? It can't put minus one in the signal, so it puts 0 there.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks john

Now that you mention it, I did notice this when I was playing around with the receiver set to ID6, which takes a 6 in the KM upgrade, but when I was using a 0 in the KM upgrade I got the receiver set to 1.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled program

IR decodes the learned signals from the 721 remote as a bunch of keys at what it calls "device" = 0 and "sub-device" at the corresponding address of the satellite receiver.

The other bunch of keys are shown by IR as "device" = 16 and the same sub-device.

(currently I'm using Satellite ID 1, which corresponds to Device1=0)

When I am putting these into KM to make the fixed data, I'm using "device" as "unit" and "sub-device" as Device1. That makes the first half of the keys work just fine. But, the keys with unit=16 don't work.

so, what to do?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:

IR decodes the learned signals from the 721 remote as a bunch of keys at what it calls "device" = 0 and "sub-device" at the corresponding address of the satellite receiver.

Isn't the address the unit?

unclemiltie wrote:

When I am putting these into KM to make the fixed data, I'm using "device" as "unit" and "sub-device" as Device1. That makes the first half of the keys work just fine. But, the keys with unit=16 don't work.

I still don't have time to check the source code, but it sounds like "Device" in the decoder is "Device" in KM and "Subdevice" in the decoder is "Unit" in KM (so you're using them backwards).
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Your decoder is correct from my limited testing. I think the RCU810 uses the same variant of $0002 that the 2104 uses. If so here is the correct fixed data:

Byte 1
ID HEX
01 00
02 80
03 40
04 C0
05 20
06 A0
07 60
08 E0
09 10
10 90
11 50
12 D0
13 30
14 B0
15 70
16 F0

Use fixed byte2 =80
for these commands (device 16). Use 00 (device = 0) otherwise.

EFC
050 Play/Back
178 Page Down
179 Page Up
236 REW
076 FFWD
204 Skip Ahead
172 Skip/Menu
237 PVR/PTV

Among other things KM Master still uses the old EFC conversion to OBC as LSB first. I think the EFC's work correctly.

Note -- I editied my original post that was wrong for Fixed Byte 1. I had the hex with the bits backwards. It is now correct.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Yahoo! it works! Reply with quote

Jon, thank you very much. Using the data provided by you in the last post I'm now able to use all of the keys on the upgrade. I'll be posting it soon (I'm leaving on vacation tomorow morning and will try to get it posted before then)

A couple of thoughts for those following this thread:

KM and IR don't use consistent terms for device/sub-device, unit/device1 the mapping is:

KM Unit = IR sub-device
KM Device1 = IR Device

The other thing that got me is that KM is calculating the 2nd byte incorrectly in this case. When I put in Unit=6, Device1=16 to get the fixed data, KM gave me Byte1=A0, Byte2=08, the correct data (from Jon's last reply) is that Byte2=80. I was using KM 8.11, remote set to RCU810, protocol set to Dishplayer(old). Just checked it again to be sure my transcription wasn't in error.

A0 08 is where I started a few days ago and just couldn't make things work so I started trying all kinds of things. I didn't think of swapping the nibbles.

Anyway, thank you ALL for your help through this. I've learned quite a bit about how all of this stuff works in the process. Now onto putting all of the Macros into the remote that I had with the old stuff.
David_Levin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Experts:

Once unclemiltie uploads his upgrade will I need to muck with it to use in on the URC-6131 (besides changing the remote type)?

Can I also keep the (Key Move fix) extender?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: