JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is the Cox 8820BC0 a JP1.3 remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
Stealing any ideas I could from eferz and mdavej, I have published an article HERE on how to build a 5-pin adapter for using a flash interface with a URC-8820 remote.

Nicely done! So, simple and elegant. I knew there was a way to do it. I just hadn't been able to wrap my head around it. Thanks, Tommy!
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
Stealing any ideas I could from eferz and mdavej, I have published an article HERE on how to build a 5-pin adapter for using a flash interface with a URC-8820 remote.

Thanks to Tommy, I now have a working JP2.1 adapter.

mdavej wrote:
- Doesn't respond to learn, keymove or macro (995), but does do DSM (978)

I tried playing with this remote a little bit this evening and can confirm it doesn't appear to work with keymoves. After pressing "4" during the 994 program sequence, the respective device button responds with a single long blink back. I also tried programming a keymove through RMIR (1.5q) but the respective buttons does not have a response or emit any IR signals as if nothing was programmed on it. However, downloading the remote profile after uploading an upgrade with keymoves shows that they're still present. So, I guess you can program keymoves through RMIR, it is just nonoperational in function.

An EFC code cannot even be send on the fly with it. Sad (At least using the 99x instructions on the wiki)
phb1342

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Cox URC-8820 Cisco -- won't cooperate...... Reply with quote

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Tommy Tyler was kind to lend my the 5 pin adapter to try to talk to this pretty nice remote from Cox. No luck; here's what's happened so far:

IR -- "Failed to open JP1.x interface".......but the 'cable' light on the remote flashed a few times during 'download' time.

RMIR -- "No RDF matches signature starting" Again, 2+2 flashes during what would be the download time. Also tried a Raw Download, again, nothing.

General Conditions:

verified that my cable was ok with a before and after check of the 1056B01 and the RCRPO5 == ok

For both tries of the Cox Remote I did flip the orientation of the adapter plug into the Cox Remote and try it each way.

The RDF (the one referenced in this Forum post thread) and the Map and jpg files are in the correct folders, vis a vis the usual places.

Both the IR and RMIR are the latest versions that I downloaded and installed a few days ago, on my Win7 computer, previously using my other computer, XP.

The Cox Remote still appears to work ok, as normal, controlling the Cable Box, tv and tivo, so I didn't blow it up or anything.

Of course, I noted that eferz was able to get some info from his MOTO labelled version, so perhaps there is something more that I could have done??

Any thoughts or alternate testing methods would be welcome; thanks!

pbroughton
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the latest RDF, map and image files . These are newer than the one linked earlier in this thread

Get the latest 1.5r version of the RMIR software.

If it doesn't work then, use Help About to verify the RMIR version that is actually running is 1.5r (Win7 may try to outsmart you), and also post here the JP12serial version.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cox URC-8820 Cisco -- won't cooperate...... Reply with quote

Just to fill in the gaps...

phb1342 wrote:
IR -- "Failed to open JP1.x interface".......but the 'cable' light on the remote flashed a few times during 'download' time.

Due to the new protocols necessary to communicate with the JP1.4 and 2.x remotes, IR.exe is not compatible with these remotes.

phb1342 wrote:
RMIR -- "No RDF matches signature starting" Again, 2+2 flashes during what would be the download time. Also tried a Raw Download, again, nothing.

One way to tell if they are loaded in the correct places is to open up RMIR > File > New > Device Upgrade then check the drop down for "URC-8820BC1 (253602)" to see the remote is visible in the Layout tab. You can also go to Help > About and make sure you're running "RemoteMaster Device Upgrade Editor, v2.02 Beta 1.5r". That window will also show you which directory it is loading the RDFs. If all else fails there's always the rmaster.err logfile which will give you a better indication of the issue.
phb1342

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info: results Reply with quote

Thanks eferz and 3FG for the info. I will follow through tomorrow.

You're right, I have 2.02 Beta, but not 1.5r,,,, so that's a restarting point.

I don't have a rmaster.err file anywhere; closest is rmaster.sh

Yes, the name of the RDF is visible for "..NEW - Device Upgrade...", but when invoked I get a page of Java error line messages, which can't be dismissed except with Task Master, so RMIR is locked up. (well, it's the wrong version!)

So I will redownload RDF, 1.5r, etc. tomorrow.

thanks again
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the info: results Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
Yes, the name of the RDF is visible for "..NEW - Device Upgrade...", but when invoked I get a page of Java error line messages, which can't be dismissed except with Task Master, so RMIR is locked up. (well, it's the wrong version!)

Yep, that's a known issue when using the new JP1.4 & 2.x RDFs with an incompatible version of RM/RMIR.

phb1342 wrote:
So I will redownload RDF, 1.5r, etc. tomorrow.

By the way, the 1.5[a-r] versions are differential updates and do not contain all the files necessary to run the application. To install it, you'd unzip the files then merge them into your working Remote Master 2.02 Beta directory so they overwrite the older versions of the file(s).
phb1342

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Well, not there yet……with the Cox URC-8820 Reply with quote

I think I got everything in the correct place, but no response from downloading the remote, but did get a message, “No remote found!” (there are 2+2 blinks from the Cable device button…)

In rmir the RDF DOES open with no problem, but I didn’t go any further than that, for example loading up a device code to modify and upload to the remote…..

Here’s where I am:
RMIR 2.02 Beta 1.5r
Decode IR v 2.43
jp1.x serial 0.18f_jp2
usb 0.031
para o.12
java 1.6.0_31
Cable works fine without the adapter on the 1056 remote, e.g.
Tried both orientations on the adapter plug, but just to verify:
a. Pin 3 is the through pin
b. Proper orientation is that with the Remote buttons facing up (the remote is resting on its bottom) Pin 1 of the original jp1 cable is to the top, right as you look at the remote’s pin bank.

Any further thoughts, or should I just be happy with my jp’d OARP05S, which is setup now exactly the way I want for this exercise ???

thanks again.....

ps edited info added:

Cable Driver: Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (com3)
driver 10/7/2011 3.4.25.218

Note: the similar Prolific driver package that worked in XP did not work in Win7, so I had Windows download and install this one -- seems fine with other remotes....
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have the pins right. If the remote is laying on a table, button side up, pins are 1 2 3 4 5 from left to right. Pin 5 connects to pin 6 on a JP1.3 cable, and pins 1-4 connect to pins 1-4. Did you make your own adapter?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
I think I got everything in the correct place, but no response from downloading the remote, but did get a message, “No remote found!” (there are 2+2 blinks from the Cable device button…)

That's odd. Yesterday you were getting a "No RDF matches signature". That typically means there was communications from the remote, but wasn't able to match the signature with an RDF filename. The “No remote found!” error message indicates there was no feedback from the remote while initiating communications.

Please recheck your Remote Master directory for a "rmaster.err" logfile. If you cannot find one then it is possible the application does not have the rights to create it. Move the folder into one of your home directories, so it can create it.

mdavej wrote:
I don't think you have the pins right. If the remote is laying on a table, button side up, pins are 1 2 3 4 5 from left to right. Pin 5 connects to pin 6 on a JP1.3 cable, and pins 1-4 connect to pins 1-4.

Actually with Tommy's JP2.1 adapter, pin 1 of JP1.2/3 cable side is not connected. There are only four pins connected with his adapter; 2, 3, 4 and 6. If the remote is orientated with the buttons facing the sky and battery compartment resting on a surface, then the adapter's proper orientation should form a "T" with the even pins (2,4,6) on the top row and pin 3 on the bottom.

If you need a mnemonic to help you remember try, "Tommy Tyler told me to touch pin three through the remote and to orientate it towards the tile floor." Hopefully you have tile floors somewhere in your home and the alliteration will help you remember.

mdavej wrote:
Did you make your own adapter?
phb1342 wrote:
Tommy Tyler was kind to lend my the 5 pin adapter to try to talk to this pretty nice remote from Cox.

phb1342 wrote:
Tried both orientations on the adapter plug, but just to verify:
a. Pin 3 is the through pin
b. Proper orientation is that with the Remote buttons facing up (the remote is resting on its bottom) Pin 1 of the original jp1 cable is to the top, right as you look at the remote’s pin bank.

That sounds as if you had it upside down. If you attempted a download in this orientation then the remote's serial interface might have locked up. Remove the cable and batteries from the remote then press a few buttons to discharge its capacitors. Reinsert batteries and the cable in the proper orientation as I described above then try again.
phb1342

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: update, but no download Reply with quote

I imagine Tommy is wishing he hadn't sent me this to play with....

Yes, even tho win7 properties said I had all allowances, I didn't get an err file until I moved the folder out of Program Files onto the desktop. See below.

When plugging in, hopefully following the instructions you gave, cable only, one light blip; cable then into usb slot: a few blips. "Downloading" from RMIR 2+2 blips -- but no data.

Here is the last part of the err file. Something looks wrong with communication....?

===========================
Generating deviceImporter for protocol null
libraryFolder=C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp12serial.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp12serial.dll
JP12Serial version 0.18f_JP2
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1usb.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1usb.dll
JP1USB version 0.031
EEPROM size returns -1
EEPROM address returns 0
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1parallel.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1parallel.dll
JP1Parallel version 0.02
EEPROM size returns -1
EEPROM address returns 0
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\DecodeIR.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\DecodeIR.dll
Starting normal download
Interface Name = NULL
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1 USB
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1 Parallel
Port Name = NULL
RemoteMaster.windowClosing() entered
=====================================

any further thoughts would be appreciated. I have some things to take care of for the rest of the afternoon, so will check back this evening.

thanks,,,,
phb1342

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: more info - normal download Reply with quote

Here is the same portion of the err file for an actual download...

============================
Generating deviceImporter for protocol null
libraryFolder=C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1usb.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1usb.dll
JP1USB version 0.031
EEPROM size returns -1
EEPROM address returns 0
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1parallel.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1parallel.dll
JP1Parallel version 0.02
EEPROM size returns -1
EEPROM address returns 0
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\DecodeIR.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\DecodeIR.dll
Starting normal download
Interface Name = NULL
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Port Name = COM3
Interface opened successfully
Base address = $600
Interface type = 5
Searching for RDF
Final signature sought = 30333033
Remote identified as: Atlas OCAP URC-1056 JP1.3 (Black)
Number of bytes read = $1400
Ending normal download
Data parsing started
===================================

if that helps anyone figure out what I'm doing wrong with the 8820

thanks
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the 1.8 version of JP12serial? and is it in the right place that RMIR actually uses it?

I think you can get that from the about box on RMIR, it will tell you
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does have the correct versions, and posted the info earlier in this thread.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=102773#102773
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
do you have the 1.8 version of JP12serial? and is it in the right place that RMIR actually uses it?
phb1342 wrote:

unclemiltie wrote:
I think you can get that from the about box on RMIR, it will tell you
phb1342 wrote:
jp1.x serial 0.18f_jp2

phb1342 wrote:
When plugging in, hopefully following the instructions you gave, cable only, one light blip; cable then into usb slot: a few blips. "Downloading" from RMIR 2+2 blips -- but no data.

If you can get the URC-1056 to download then there's nothing wrong with the JP1.2/3 cable. But, I'm very suspicious of the blink back error with the URC-8820BC1. If you followed my instructions then you would have the proper "T" pin orientation for the adapter, but did you also plug in the JP1.2/3 cable so its pin 1 is in the bottom-left hand corner?

Btw, I did not instruct you to remove the cable from the USB port; only the remote.

Code:
   [2][4][6]
{A}(1)[3](5){E}

Pretend the above is a diagram of the pins while plugged into the remote. Check to make sure the tiny wires for the adapter aren't severed. There should be a wire shorting each pair; 1 & 2, 4 & 5, and 6 & E
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: