JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is the Cox 8820BC0 a JP1.3 remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may help to let us see the actual serial traffic to and from the remote. If your Win7 is 32 bit, please follow these instructions: (Portmon doesn't work with 64bit Windows)
Download Portmon http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644 and try a Raw Download. Start RMIR, start PortMon, make sure that Options/ShowHex is set, use Capture/Ports /COMx to select your port, and initiate a Raw Download. Use Edit Copy to get the resulting data into a file and post it here in the Diagnostics Section. Maybe we can guess where things are going wrong. It will help if in RMIR Remote\Interface\SerialJP1.x is selected rather than Auto-detect.

Output should look something like: (but longer)
Code:

0.00000168   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_GET_HANDFLOW   VCP0   SUCCESS       
0.00092246   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_BAUD_RATE   VCP0   SUCCESS   Rate: 38400   
0.00091995   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_RTS   VCP0   SUCCESS       
0.00098253   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_DTR   VCP0   SUCCESS       
0.00097945   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_LINE_CONTROL   VCP0   SUCCESS   StopBits: ERROR Parity: NONE WordLength: 8   
0.00000196   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_CHAR   VCP0   SUCCESS   EOF:0 ERR:0 BRK:0 EVT:0 XON:11 XOFF:13   
0.00096353   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_HANDFLOW   VCP0   SUCCESS   Shake:1 Replace:40 XonLimit:2048 XoffLimit:512   
0.00000196   javaw.exe   IOCTL_SERIAL_SET_TIMEOUTS   VCP0   SUCCESS   RI:50 RM:10 RC:50 WM:10 WC:50   
phb1342

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: will try the Portmon next... Reply with quote

eferz: thanks for the additional diagram; I was connecting it correctly.

All pins/wires are connected correctly, verified with Ohm Meter.

Didn't mean to imply that you instructed on the cable in/out, but I was kind of talking to myself: the other remotes that I have will blink once when the cable is connected, twice when the cable is inserted into the USB port, then twice + more when downloading in RMIR. So that was my shorthand to myself that the cable was in correctly, without missing a row, or upside down. Sorry for the confusion.

I changed USB ports to no improvement. Prolific driver ID's this other port as COM5; was using "COM3" No change in behavior, tho.

3FG: trying PortMon later this morning. thanks

------------------------------------------

All I gotta say about this remote is, it's a good thing it's FREE with my huge Cable monthly bill, otherwise who could agree to invest these thousands of dollars of expert hours to get it so that a decent Receiver Code could be used and get that nonfunctional CC button to work, and a couple of other things so easily accomplished on the other remotes....!

thanks again,,
phb1342

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: PortMon File Results Reply with quote

3FG:

I have never uploaded a file before, but I think I got one copy in the diagnosis area and one in the HELP files area! HELP!! - sorry, Rob.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10822

This is off the USB port on the motherboard, shown by Device Manager as COM5 for the cable driver.

thanks for any advice you can offer.

phil
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the remote is responding, so I suppose that the adapter is OK. Please try this alternate JP12Serial.dll file . It should replace the file already in the Windows subfolder of the RMIR distribution.

These Prolific chips apparently work a little differently to the FTDI ones.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
OK, the remote is responding, so I suppose that the adapter is OK. Please try this alternate JP12Serial.dll file . It should replace the file already in the Windows subfolder of the RMIR distribution.

These Prolific chips apparently work a little differently to the FTDI ones.

I find odd is that my CA-42 works without your alternate JP12Serial.dll file. However, admittedly, I did have to use the drivers which Barf uploaded for it to work, "http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10795". Even thought they indicate that they are the same version, installing them over the ones from the Microsoft repository did help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do tell. What's different about the alternate driver? Does it remedy the delay?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Do tell. What's different about the alternate driver?

Well, I had general issues using the USB cable to communicate with even JP1.2/3 remotes let alone JP1.4 & 2.x ones. So, I had installed Barf's copy after the Windows Update version didn't work. Though, I suppose it is also possible that the reboot initiated by the software installer could have mysteriously fixed the problem. Whereas, the Windows Update version did not require a reboot.

mdavej wrote:
Does it remedy the delay?

What delay?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not driver, I meant dll. Sorry.

Sometimes there is a 7 second delay where the prolific chip tries to auto-negotiate the baud rate and parity then finally settles on the correct one. Most people probably never notice.

BTW the problems I had reported earlier with my 8820 went away when I downloaded my original dump. Something with the protocol testing I was doing made RMIR fail to read every time. Now that I'm back to a good config, all is well.

Not to derail the current topic, but while I'm here I'll post what seems to be left to do on this model:

- Figure out and implement protocol upgrades. I know there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes on this already. I instigated it then dropped out of the picture for a while due to a lot of business travel. I should be able to dedicate more time to it now.

- Complete macro support. Macros work fine, but this remote is capable of device specific macros. So it would be great if RMIR could support those as well. That would be a good alternative to keymoves since this remote can't do keymoves. This is the first I've mentioned needing DSM support.

Everything else seems to be working well.
phb1342

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Alternate dll didn't make a difference: no data Reply with quote

thanks for the additional help, but foiled, again!

RMIR ERR file portion -- shows alternate jp12serial dll file being used: still no download from Remote, tho.
===================================================================================

Generating deviceImporter for protocol null
libraryFolder=C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp12serial.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp12serial.dll
JP12Serial version 0.18f_Xistor_B
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1usb.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1usb.dll
JP1USB version 0.031
EEPROM size returns -1
EEPROM address returns 0
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1parallel.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\jp1parallel.dll
JP1Parallel version 0.02
EEPROM size returns -1
EEPROM address returns 0
Loading C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\DecodeIR.dll
Loaded C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Remote Master_2012\Windows\DecodeIR.dll
Starting normal download
Interface Name = JP1.X Serial
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Interface matched. Trying to open remote.
Failed to open
Testing interface: JP1 USB
Testing interface: JP1 Parallel
Starting normal download
Interface Name = NULL
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1.X Serial
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1 USB
Port Name = NULL
Testing interface: JP1 Parallel
Port Name = NULL
RemoteMaster.windowClosing() entered
========================================
eof

well, I am willing to try more.... thanks
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have specified that I need the results from Portmon using the newer JP12Serial dll......
phb1342

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: alternate dll PortMon file Reply with quote

3FG

Of course:
===============================

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10824

===============================
eferz: if I read your driver file correctly, your reference is to CA-42 USB-Serial Driver V3.0.10.

When my driver from XP didn't work, I hunted down and installed ver 3.4.25.218 dated 10/7/11. Do you think I should revert to that possible earlier version you referenced/use?? thanks
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the interface is receiving signals even when we don't send a recognizable command to the remote. My guess is that the problem lies somewhere besides the dll.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: alternate dll PortMon file Reply with quote

phb1342 wrote:
if I read your driver file correctly, your reference is to CA-42 USB-Serial Driver V3.0.10.

When my driver from XP didn't work, I hunted down and installed ver 3.4.25.218 dated 10/7/11. Do you think I should revert to that possible earlier version you referenced/use?? thanks

It wouldn't hurt to try. Do you have a link to your version somewhere? I can try using the new one while you try the old one.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10675

This is the win7 driver that works for me.

Mike
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: alternate dll PortMon file Reply with quote

Dilligaf wrote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10675
This is the win7 driver that works for me.

Apparently, both uploads of the PL-2303 drivers from you and Barf are the same.

phb1342 wrote:
When my driver from XP didn't work, I hunted down and installed ver 3.4.25.218 dated 10/7/11.

I tried installing the PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.5.0.zip drivers from the official site and it caused RMIR to fail. After further inspection, it seems that my problem with the newer Prolific drivers are relevant to the issues which Dilligaf described earlier in another thread. The newer drivers refuse to work appropriately with the counterfeit PL-2303 chips which are inside the unofficial CA-42 cables. The older version provided by Barf and Dilligaf work fine with them though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: