JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it valuable to own a JP1.x remote to find codes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLPicard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Is it valuable to own a JP1.x remote to find codes? Reply with quote

I can see where a second remote with a JP1.x interface with learning would be valuable just to be able to learn codes from remotes that have no interface.

If you own some obscure remote, say an AC or perhaps a photo frame (I know there are files in the file section for many of these), you could use the learner to capture the codes then find out what they are so you could install them into your "Daily Clicker".

If I am right, can anyone point me towards an inexpensive example of such a remote? I have one of Tommy's JP1.2/1.3 cables with no ability for now to interface to JP1. Although I do have some remotes that I bought a couple years ago before I got JP1 gun-shy. I have a URC-9910B01, and a 15-1994 which are learning (according to spreadsheet), and a URC 6131n-800 which isn't. I got these back before I retired but never did anything with them. Now I am learning JP1 with an Atlas 1056B01 with no learning.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the IRWidget is vastly superior to anything else for analyzing IR signals.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is it valuable to own a JP1.x remote to find codes? Reply with quote

JLPicard wrote:
I can see where a second remote with a JP1.x interface with learning would be valuable just to be able to learn codes from remotes that have no interface.

Yes that would make you quite independent. Some signals are unlearnable, but this should capture 95% of all IR signals in use with normal AV equipment.

Quote:

If you own some obscure remote, say an AC or perhaps a photo frame (I know there are files in the file section for many of these), you could use the learner to capture the codes then find out what they are so you could install them into your "Daily Clicker".

Yes, that is one reason to have a learner. The other, is its a nice diagnostic tool to help you when something isn't working.

Quote:

If I am right, can anyone point me towards an inexpensive example of such a remote? I have one of Tommy's JP1.2/1.3 cables with no ability for now to interface to JP1. Although I do have some remotes that I bought a couple years ago before I got JP1 gun-shy. I have a URC-9910B01, and a 15-1994 which are learning (according to spreadsheet), and a URC 6131n-800 which isn't. I got these back before I retired but never did anything with them. Now I am learning JP1 with an Atlas 1056B01 with no learning.

Cost wise you can
1) buy an RCA RCR50BP Jp1.3 remote. I got mine locally at a Meijers for $15 plus tax when I was out of town and had JP1e gear but no remote because the remote I was given to work with had ruptured batteries.

2) Tommy has an EEPROM adapter you can plug into your cable to make it work with JP1 cables EEPROM. $19+ 5 SH. This would bring your other remotes into play. The 15-1994 is JP1 out of the box, the URC-6131 needs a modification, and the URC-9910b01 needs pins. If you like doing that kind of work this might be a good option.

3) You can buy or make a Widget $29+5 SH

Now the widget is the most expensive option here, but I would recommend you consider it. You know Christmas is coming up, and if you are hard to buy for this would be a fantastic gift suggestion. Its my favorite JP1 toy. I bought the first IR Widget that Tommy sold and I've been a big fan ever since then.

Read the IR Scope and IR Widget User's Guide for more information.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
JLPicard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is it valuable to own a JP1.x remote to find codes? Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
The 15-1994 is JP1 out of the box, the URC-6131 needs a modification, and the URC-9910b01 needs pins. If you like doing that kind of work this might be a good option.
Actually the hardware side of this intrigues me more than the programming. I have already modded all the above remotes to include the pins, and one of them, can't recall which I installed a memory upgrade I think it was. Not sure which now, it's been a couple years. The IR Widget looks very cool indeed, it's got me slathering all over my keyboard.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is it valuable to own a JP1.x remote to find codes? Reply with quote

JLPicard wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
The 15-1994 is JP1 out of the box, the URC-6131 needs a modification, and the URC-9910b01 needs pins. If you like doing that kind of work this might be a good option.
Actually the hardware side of this intrigues me more than the programming. I have already modded all the above remotes to include the pins, and one of them, can't recall which I installed a memory upgrade I think it was. Not sure which now, it's been a couple years. The IR Widget looks very cool indeed, it's got me slathering all over my keyboard.

I don't like the hardware aspect of JP1ing. I did do a mod once, and it turned out badly since someone gave me the wrong part number for the EEPROM. I was so disappointed by the outcome that I was cured of my JP1 addiction, and didn't visit the forum for a few years. Of course that bit me in the butt, because I had to repeat the entire learning curve, and you know how painful that can be!
JLPicard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky are you referring to the RCRP05B RCA remote?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLPicard wrote:
Vicky are you referring to the RCRP05B RCA remote?

Yes, I thought I had the letters in the right order. Oh well, welcome to my world.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it valuable to own a JP1.x remote to find codes? Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
2) Tommy has an EEPROM adapter you can plug into your cable to make it work with JP1 cables EEPROM. $19+ 5 SH. This would bring your other remotes into play. The 15-1994 is JP1 out of the box, the URC-6131 needs a modification, and the URC-9910b01 needs pins. If you like doing that kind of work this might be a good option.

I would recommend getting the JP1 adapter as that not only gives you the ability to learn signals but it brings all of your older JP1 remotes back into play. And just for the sake of correctness, the URC-9910 has JP1 pins installed at the factory, it doesn't require a mod.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Now the widget is the most expensive option here, but I would recommend you consider it. You know Christmas is coming up, and if you are hard to buy for this would be a fantastic gift suggestion. Its my favorite JP1 toy. I bought the first IR Widget that Tommy sold and I've been a big fan ever since then.

I think the IR widget and my Harmony 300 remote makes me pretty independent. Maybe even helpful to others since I can learn the signals from the Harmony Database. Although, I'm still pretty new at JP1ing and still have a lot learn.

Speaking of Christmas, I ended up having a bunch of JP1 now because Mrs. Claus sent presents early this year! Wooo.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it valuable to own a JP1.x remote to find codes? Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
And just for the sake of correctness, the URC-9910 has JP1 pins installed at the factory, it doesn't require a mod.

I was thinking about the OneForAll Kameleon URC-9960B01 on the brain when I posted that, even though the OP clearly said URC-9910B01. My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: