JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCA RCRP05B questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameGod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Questions about extender setup in IR Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using IR 8.03 (and associated RDF's) and the latest extender release (1.05).

I bought a new RCRP05B to replace my aging URC 6131 remote that's on its last legs.

I was trying to set a macro (using the Macros tab) for the DVR button. I wanted to use the macro to setup key sets and then call the XS+DVR key move to do some other stuff to setup that device.

However, I find that I'm unable to use XShift/Shift for the DVR/dev5/dev6 devices. If any of them are selected the Shift / XShift buttons are unavailable both in the Target and Macro Definition sections. Other devices do not show this issue.

I searched thru the board, but couldn't find anything that helped. Is this a bug or a limitation of the remote?

Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a bug. Because of the addresses of those device buttons on this particular remote ($40 and up), shift/xshift would walk on some other addresses. So that has been prohibited in the RDF on purpose. You'll just have to use some other buttons. If you look at the Buttons section of the RDF, you can see which buttons can't shift/xshift.
GameGod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
It is not a bug. Because of the addresses of those device buttons on this particular remote ($40 and up), shift/xshift would walk on some other addresses. So that has been prohibited in the RDF on purpose. You'll just have to use some other buttons. If you look at the Buttons section of the RDF, you can see which buttons can't shift/xshift.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll take a look at the buttons section.
GameGod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Other observations/questions Reply with quote

In KM v9.22, for this remote, DiscreteON and DiscreteOFF are disabled. However, I see them listed in the buttons list on IR. Why aren't they available?

Similarly, any key move setup on @PhantomF1 and @PhantomF2 show up in IR as XS Day+ and XS Day -. Is this due to similar mapping issues?

Also, seems like Phantom1 is not mapped in the extender RDF. It shows up as "Key 63". If I add the following entry, "Phantom1=$3F," in the buttons section, it shows up correctly.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that phantom buttons are not real, they are invented by us using unused keycodes. In this case, it sounds like there is a difference in the way those unused keycodes have been used between KM and the extender RDF. Neither is wrong, neither is correct.

Given that you cannot change KM but you can change the RDF, you could make your copy of the RDF match KM. As for phantoms that KM does not include, program the keymoves manually in IR.exe (or RMIR).
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use KM since it is not driven by the RDF that is released with extenders but by an internal table that assigns buttons. Often times with extenders the people who maintain KM don't update it.

I'd recommend getting into RM for building your upgrades for extended remotes since the RDF keeps the extender code and the tools in sync.
GameGod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications.

I'll try RM and see how that goes.
GameGod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've migrated my setup to RM-IR and managed to get it mostly working.

With this app, I see all the "missing" and very useful phantom keys along with the DiscreteON and DiscreteOFF keys, both of which make the macros easier to read and understand. Thanks! Smile

Now, the wrinkle:

I use a Chicony keyboard with a custom protocol that folks on this board were kind enough to make for me years ago. With IR, on this new remote, the protocol worked fine. The device responded to keys from the remote, etc.

However, when I tried to import this device upgrade into RM-IR, something goes wrong and RM-IR crashes and the import fails.

I'm attaching the device upgrade and the generated RM-IR error file.

Hopefully somebody can tell me what to fix so I can get this working Smile

Device Upgrade + Crash report uploaded to Diagnosis area: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10081

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you posted this in the extender thread. I opened your KM file, and found the problem, I thought it was the blank lines in the function list. RM really doesn't like blank lines, but when removing the blank lines didn't work I noticed that the comma function had a comma (,) as the comment. Removing that allowed me to open the file in RM.

Use this Chicony RDMU file and see if that improves things.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10082
GameGod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I don't know why you posted this in the extender thread. I opened your KM file, and found the problem, I thought it was the blank lines in the function list. RM really doesn't like blank lines, but when removing the blank lines didn't work I noticed that the comma function had a comma (,) as the comment. Removing that allowed me to open the file in RM.

Use this Chicony RDMU file and see if that improves things.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10082

Thanks, that works Smile

Sorry, I was just continuing the issue with my particular upgrade.

Everything works now. Thanks again for everybody's help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: