JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DirecTV RF?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: DirecTV RF? Reply with quote

Best I can tell from searching ... it is possible to configure a non-direcTV RF remote to pair with and communicate to DirecTV receivers that have built-in RF receivers (i.e. HR24).

Can anyone confirm or refute the above statement?

Any recommendations on a good JP1 RF remote. I have some rather specifc needs in a JP1 remote ... RF, Extender available, backlit, preferably JP1.3, smaller the better.

Thanks in advance!
G
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that there are any RF JP1.3 remotes, but there are a number of IR extenders that you may be able to use with an IR remote. As simple as the one that foes into the battery compartment to the more sophisticated, wired versions
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only non-DirecTV RF remote that will pair with DirecTV receivers is the Xsight Touch, aka Nevo C3 and One-For-All URC-8603. Although the Xsight is not JP1, it is a fine remote, very inexpensive and very easy to program. It's RF of course, backlit, LCD, touch-screen, rechargeable battery and cradle, has 18 devices, learning, macros, and icon based favorites. It's RF extender (for your non-DirecTV devices) is also quite inexpensive and comes with 6 blasters. It's also compatible with logitech and one-for-all blue-tooth PS3 adapters as well as all USB/IR PS3 adapters. HERE is a recent review by someone using it with DirecTV.

As unclemiltie said, there are no current JP1 RF remotes. Some older models like the URC-9910 and Radio Shack 15-2117 were RF but not directly compatible with DirecTV RF. You may be able to find one on ebay or from the MarketPlace forum here.

Just about any universal remote can control a DirecTV reciever in IR mode.

For a JP1 solution, I recommend getting any JP1 remote you like and adding a Next Generation RF extender (the battery RF solution unclemiltie mentioned). Your DirecTV receiver will have to be in IR mode for this to work, but you could also put a Next Gen RF transmitter in your DirecTV remote to get the same results you get with RF today. An IR repeater like leap frog or power mid is an even cheaper solution.

My favorite backlit JP1.3 remote these days is the Insignia. Although not RF, it's very small, has an extender and works fine with the Next Generation RF system. Second favorite is Atlas. It's bigger, rather ugly IMO and most lack learning.
TheGMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I guess I should have mentioned that I am currently the happy owner of several Insignia remotes used throughout the house. Many thanks to unclemiltie from myself, wife and kids for the extender Smile.

I currently have 2 DTV receivers (connected to 2 different TVs) and 2 TV's connected to over-the-air (OTA) antennas. I am planning to feed one of my DTV receivers to my 2 OTA TV's. Clearly only the one channel the DTV receiver is tuned into could be viewed on the 3 connected TV's. I thought the best approach would be to utilize the DTV receivers RF capabilities, but really didn't want to leave my Insignia based setup. Sounds like RF/IR repeater meets my needs better.

If I understand the technology ... using IR remotes (like my Insignia) in rooms not containing the equipment it sends RF (either via this battery thing or an IR receiver that converts the IR to RF) to a base unit in the room with the equipment that receives the RF and converts it back to IR and in turn sends the IR to the equipment. Does that sounds correct?

If so *happy dance* as I get to keep my Insignia remote setup and still get the benifts of RF communication to the remote equipment.

Do any of these IR/RF transmitters directly communicate with the DTV RF? Thus eliminating a base unit in the equipment room doing the RF to IR conversion. All I really to need to remotely communicate with is the DTV receiver.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it. Unfortunately nothing besides the Xsight, not even any IR/RF transmitters, can talk directly to DTV RF. So there's no other way to avoid using a base.
TheGMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the information ... it was a big help!

Just out of curiousity ... How do the battery based RF transmitter know what IR signal the remote is sending since their only connection to the remote seems to be via the battery slot? Is this just one of lifes great mysteries?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a detailed explanation before, but I don't remember where. You could probably find it by googling Next Generation RF. But basically, in addition to the transmitter, it has a very sensitive radio that detects changes in the electric field of the nearby circuits when an IR signal is sent. On a few remotes, the active circuits are too far away from the battery bay, and it doesn't work. It's really a very clever and unique device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: