JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Navigator 44000-B00 not working with RCA protocol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken_truesdale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Navigator 44000-B00 not working with RCA protocol Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting an old Navigator 44000-B00 remote I haven't used in ages as a partially functioning remote for the kids. (No volume, no power, but transport and arrow controls.) The remote works fine with my current Motorola cable box device upgrade that I loaded in using IR. But the device I really want to use is for MythTV and the device upgrade I'm using is based on an RCA/Xbox remote which uses the RCA protocol (00 AF). When I setup Keymap Master for that device and remote, it tells me I need to add a protocol, so I did. Unfortunately, after uploading to the remote, the remote does absolutely nothing - not even a blink on that device. (I'm using CBL just to make sure I get all of the possible functionality.)

It looks like this remote just won't work with that protocol. Is that possible? And if so, do I have any options for working around it? Or should it work and it means I've done something wrong with the protocol?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using RCA (Old) instead.
ken_truesdale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: that did it Reply with quote

Rob, thanks! That did the trick.

The only remaining problem was that none of the digits worked. I discovered by accident that changing the EFC on the num 0 made all of the other digits work except num 0 (because now it didn't map to the right code). Fortunately this is MythTV I'm controlling so using that changed code, I just added a new code to the lircd.conf and then pointed at the same config in my lircrc. Now my main remote still works with the original setup and this new remote works with the original setup and the extra code for num 0.

Thanks for the fast response, Rob.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken_truesdale wrote:
The only remaining problem was that none of the digits worked. I discovered by accident that changing the EFC on the num 0 made all of the other digits work except num 0 (because now it didn't map to the right code).

Each remote has a table of values that can be used for the numeric buttons. When you create an upgrade, if the data that you've entered for the numeric buttons matches an entry in the table, it will use the table entry instead of the data that you've entered as this saves memory.

Are you 100% sure that you have the 44000-B00 version of the Navigator? When you download from the remote using IR.exe, what is the signature? The signature for the 44000-B00 is CYC0. If you have the wrong remote selected, the code for the table entry will be wrong and your numeric buttons won't work.

Also, it's possible that there's a bug in KM which is being exposed by the particular combination of EFCs that you used for the numeric buttons. When you enter a bad code for the "0" button, you cause the data to no longer match the table and therefore KM will use the raw codes instead of the table entry.

Here's a trick that you can do, which will save you need to change MythTV. Make a note of the hex value for the "0" button before you change the EFC and after you change it. Then, after you have copied the device upgrade over to IR.exe, you can change that byte back to it's original value.

I'd like to see the KM upgrade file that causes the numeric buttons to not work, so could you post a copy of it please?
ken_truesdale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Each remote has a table of values that can be used for the numeric buttons. When you create an upgrade, if the data that you've entered for the numeric buttons matches an entry in the table, it will use the table entry instead of the data that you've entered as this saves memory.

Wow, cool, okay. The table you are talking about is in the remote itself, not in Keymap Master or any JP1 software, I assume.

The Robman wrote:
Are you 100% sure that you have the 44000-B00 version of the Navigator? When you download from the remote using IR.exe, what is the signature? The signature for the 44000-B00 is CYC0. If you have the wrong remote selected, the code for the table entry will be wrong and your numeric buttons won't work.

No, not 100% sure but maybe 95% sure. The remote itself doesn't have any of those numbers on it so I started with RM and did a download of the original code. RM is what told me it was a 44000-B00. The pictures of that remote don't look like what I have and the buttons are all completely different but from what I read about this remote, that's typical. My remote is a "Time Warner" "Scientific Atlanta" remote with a slender body and a circle that is larger than the body. The number on the side is "urc 9701" and here's a picture. But many of the buttons did line up and since RM told me that's what it was, I went with it.

The Robman wrote:
Also, it's possible that there's a bug in KM which is being exposed by the particular combination of EFCs that you used for the numeric buttons. When you enter a bad code for the "0" button, you cause the data to no longer match the table and therefore KM will use the raw codes instead of the table entry.

Here's a trick that you can do, which will save you need to change MythTV. Make a note of the hex value for the "0" button before you change the EFC and after you change it. Then, after you have copied the device upgrade over to IR.exe, you can change that byte back to it's original value.

That assumes that the problem is in KM so it is just manually putting in the code you want in IR. But if the problem is elsewhere, my problem won't go away, right?
ken_truesdale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: URC44000_MythTV-VCR1112_KM_for-Rob.txt Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'd like to see the KM upgrade file that causes the numeric buttons to not work, so could you post a copy of it please?

Sure, thanks for the interest, Rob. Here's the link:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10031
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "RM is what told me it was a 44000-B00" do you mean RMIR or IR.exe, because RM doesn't talk to the remote.

That picture is definitely not a Navigator, but I don't know what it is. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that you downloaded your remote's memory using IR.exe and because the signature is CYC0 it used the RDF for the Navigator. However, because your remote isn't really a Navigator, the internal devices table doesn't match. In fact, given that the protocol upgrade didn't work earlier, I'm betting that it doesn't even have the exact same processor as the Navigator.

The numeric tables are indeed built into each remote (at the factory), but they are also duplicated in our software (ie, KM, RM, etc). When the software detects that the combination of codes that you used for the numeric buttons matches a table entry, it will use the table entry instead of the raw codes as this will save 10 bytes of upgrade memory. Unfortunately, we no longer have a way to turn the feature off, which is why you needed to use the bad-code trick.

I don't know how closely the button maps for the Navigator match your remote, but if you were to use CBL mode rather than VCR mode, you would be able to include a lot more buttons in the upgrade without needing keymoves.

Here's your upgrade switched to CBL mode with the 0-button patched.

Upgrade Code 0 = 04 58 (Cable/1112) MythTV XBOX IR receiver 1112 (KM v9.22)
2D 00 BE 7E FC 08 81 5F 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
38 39 50 05 2A 40 3A 1D 1F F9 1C 19 59 58 56 57
F4 08 3C 06 27 53
KeyMoves
38 F3 04 58 15«play»
End
ken_truesdale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks again. Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
When you say "RM is what told me it was a 44000-B00" do you mean RMIR or IR.exe, because RM doesn't talk to the remote.

Right RMIR. That's where I started.

The Robman wrote:
That picture is definitely not a Navigator, but I don't know what it is. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that you downloaded your remote's memory using IR.exe and because the signature is CYC0 it used the RDF for the Navigator. However, because your remote isn't really a Navigator, the internal devices table doesn't match. In fact, given that the protocol upgrade didn't work earlier, I'm betting that it doesn't even have the exact same processor as the Navigator.

Yep, makes perfect sense.

The Robman wrote:
The numeric tables are indeed built into each remote (at the factory), but they are also duplicated in our software (ie, KM, RM, etc). When the software detects that the combination of codes that you used for the numeric buttons matches a table entry, it will use the table entry instead of the raw codes as this will save 10 bytes of upgrade memory. Unfortunately, we no longer have a way to turn the feature off, which is why you needed to use the bad-code trick.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

The Robman wrote:
I don't know how closely the button maps for the Navigator match your remote, but if you were to use CBL mode rather than VCR mode, you would be able to include a lot more buttons in the upgrade without needing keymoves.

Oops. I went back and forth on the modes. Lost track of which one I had gone with in the end. But since this is a remote for the kids, I've only got the one device in there and have plenty of extra room for the moves as they are.

The Robman wrote:
Here's your upgrade switched to CBL mode with the 0-button patched.

Yep. got the same when I switched modes just now. (Except for the zero digit.)

Well, thanks again for the great help, Rob. My 3-year-old smiled last night when he got his own remote. And I'm smiling knowing that my URC-8811 is still safely out of his reach. Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks again. Reply with quote

ken_truesdale wrote:

Well, thanks again for the great help, Rob. My 3-year-old smiled last night when he got his own remote. And I'm smiling knowing that my URC-8811 is still safely out of his reach. Smile

Ken nice to see you are using your JP1 skills to promote remote control use.

So Rob when are your boys going to get their own remotes? I still can't believe you were able to share a single remote with your two!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,
Would you be willing to try some experiments with your remote? If so, I'd like to post some protocol upgrades that you can try on it, just to determine which processor it uses.

Vicky,
We all share the same 15-1994 remote in the main room, but the boys have their own TV on the lower floor which has it's own URC-6131. They're the only ones that use that remote. I have previously brought a URC-6131 on car trips for them to use with the portable DVD player. Does that count?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Ken,
Vicky,
We all share the same 15-1994 remote in the main room, but the boys have their own TV on the lower floor which has it's own URC-6131. They're the only ones that use that remote. I have previously brought a URC-6131 on car trips for them to use with the portable DVD player. Does that count?

No that doesn't. Each viewer needs their own remote! Its the JP1 way! Laughing Heck when we were having house guests, the very first thing I did to prepare was make up another remote!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were all striving for the highest WAF possible (or HAF in your case, but I don't think you ever got a good score).
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
No that doesn't. Each viewer needs their own remote! Its the JP1 way! Laughing Heck when we were having house guests, the very first thing I did to prepare was make up another remote!

I can just imagine how it is visiting you. Your house guests are warned to have their assigned JP1 remote with them at all times. Surprise remote inspections are facilitated two to three times a day. Failure to comply with the JP1 rule is punishable to the full extent without remorse. No soup for you!
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
That picture is definitely not a Navigator...
It does not look like any Navigator I've ever seen, either. One of the weird things between CYC0 and CYC1 versions is that the CYC0 shifted the addresses of most of the protocol data bytes (including DCBUF) up by one. Since the later CYC1 put things back to "normal" (matching other similar remotes), I always assumed UEI would have limited the use of the CYC0 version. So much for that theory if this one turns out to be a true CYC0 version! Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: