JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it possible to simulate "buttonpress" via JP1 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Is it possible to simulate "buttonpress" via JP1 ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

What I really mean (subject string is too short to fit the whole question there) is the following:

If I want the JP1-compatible remote (say 8811 or 8910) to transmit the infrared command to the device (like set-top box), can I do this REMOTELY, from the PC via JP1 interface?

The reason I need this is that I sometimes need to flick the channels on my set top box when I am not at home (and nobody is). This is all to do with timer-recording programs and being able to switch between them, if the Program Guide is unclear or last-minute changed...

The "operator (me) <-> home" communication part is relatively easy (remote PC control via the Internet or LAN), but what's then? I absolutely don't want to get engaged in designing the electro-mechanical robotic-type button-press machine... (:-)

I would be also reluctant to open the RC and modify it (like, say, soldering the MOSFET switches in parallel with the buttons and then "pressing" the button by shorting this switch) - I consider this to be a last resort, because it's not a neat solution (requires a non-standard modification to the standard equipment).

So, what looks by far the easiest solution to me is to control the JP1-compatible remote from PC via JP1 interface to get it to transmit the required command.

Can this be done? If yes, then - how?

If what I am asking is really a JP1 trivia basics, please excuse my ignorance, and send me back to JP1 school (links?).

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not using a standard JP1 remote.

There were UEI remotes that pre-date the JP1 world that could do this.

Have you considered getting a Slingbox?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to simulate "buttonpress" via J Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
The reason I need this is that I sometimes need to flick the channels on my set top box when I am not at home (and nobody is). This is all to do with timer-recording programs and being able to switch between them, if the Program Guide is unclear or last-minute.

Can this be done? If yes, then - how?

Yes, it can but not with a typical JP1 handheld remote. Buy yourself either a Sling Media Slingbox or a Monsoon Multimedia Vulkano. Not only will you be able to remotely trigger IR commands from their internal UEI remote chip but you will be able to watch the changes as the video is streamed from your set-top box.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys.

Using Slingbox sounds like a bit of an overkill for what I really need... and its price does not necessarily fall into budget category either...

Also, don't forget about the "fun of building your own gadget"... I might even consider building the simple parallel port resistor ladder based D/A converter - I might even have one around, gathering dust in the far corner of my garage - I built it years ago for sound output (yes, a lot of PC games supported that interface too, before Creative finally took over everything...)
Then I may be able to "play" back a recorded IR WAV sequence... and it's all NOT for the sake of saving $$'s, but just for the fun of it... Simple "Buy'n'Play" seems plain boring and non-challenging... to me, anyway...

Or, as I said, sacrificing one RC (not even the JP1, but any cheap remote that supports my settop box) and simulating the button presses with semiconductor switches...
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well knowing how you like to restore old equipment a LIRC app might appeal to you. I want to do something very similar to this. I have an ancient laptop running Puppy linux, I bought an IR transciever, but I've seen plans on how to make them. I haven't found the source code, but I know there is open source code to do what you want to do.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Well knowing how you like to restore old equipment a LIRC app might appeal to you. I want to do something very similar to this. I have an ancient laptop running Puppy linux, I bought an IR transciever, but I've seen plans on how to make them. I haven't found the source code, but I know there is open source code to do what you want to do.

Barf posted a message to me in the IR War Dialer thread which might help him. Since all he would need to do is build his IR transmitter then initiate these commands remotely from terminal server like telnet or SSH or even a custom web page if he's willing to do the extra work.

Barf wrote:
eferz, I can offer you this on my project page http://www.harctoolbox.org. Download the binary or source, and then call the main routine in the class org.harctoolbox.protocol like,e.g.
Code:

java -classpath dist/harctoolbox.jar  org.harctoolbox.protocol -g globalcache -w 3000 -v rc5 0 0:127

to send rc5 codes for device 0 and functions/commands 0 up to 127 with delay of 3000 milliseconds to a GlobalCache with IP-Name globalcache. No GUI, but searching for undocumented IR-Commands if for experts, and experts do not need GUI Wink

Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add my $0.02.

I would recommend either a "smart" USB IR-Transmitter like USB-UIRT, TIRA, Irtrans, Iguana, or CommandIR, or an Ethernet-to-IR box like GlobalCache or IrTrans. The smart USB boxes can be controlled from e.g. LIRC or a program like Eventghost. The Ethernet boxes can be used with for example my software, which eferz linked. (Thanx! Very Happy )

Problem is of course that they are comparatively expensive. And it may give you a new hobby!
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

It looks like LIRC or WINLIRC would be the way to go... building the hardware for those will not be an issue for me.

Need to do a proper homework first, though...
(going to "reading" mode now...)

Thanks again for all your suggestions, boys and girls!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf, I'm interested in pursing LIRC, I've planning on ordering the the Iguana transceiver. However, I know absolutely nothing about Linux, and there are two computer languages (C and Java) that I can't even read, much less write in, so I'm a long, long way away from being able to develop this myself.

I don't know what your schedule is like, but I'd sure like your help in getting started since you already wrote your IR war dialer.

I know next to nothing about Linux, but I have an VERY OLD laptop that is running puppy Linux. The only thing I do on that PC is browse TitanTV.com and IMDB.com while watching TV. TitanTV will allow you to export these cute little text files that will remind you of TV shows you want to watch. It would be really, REALLY cool to be able to use these text files to drive the PC to change the channel on my set top box, so that I won't miss my shows.

There is a lot of need for something like this, would you be interested in developing something like this?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,

good look with Lirc and Linux. The hardware requirements are very mundane, in particular if using a "smart" device. Be sure to check out the "-l"- (listen) option, that way you get a Lirc server that accepts commands from the network (of course including the local machine). (My previously mentionend software can connect to such a Lirc server).

Almost all settop boxes comes with a timer, and in some cases (may or may not equal Linux based systems :wink ) this can be used to e.g. issue shell commands or Lirc commands. (Here is a (German language) contribution on how I used the timer to turn on a Denon AV-Receiver over telnet from a the Tuxbox software.)

There is a vast number of software packages for things like this. I do not think reinventing the wheel would be a good idea.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:

Almost all settop boxes comes with a timer, and in some cases (may or may not equal Linux based systems :wink ) this can be used to e.g. issue shell commands or Lirc commands. (Here is a (German language) contribution on how I used the timer to turn on a Denon AV-Receiver over telnet from a the Tuxbox software.)

It is a lot different over here in the US. We've enacted some laws that make things really backwards in comparison with other parts of the world. Over here almost no set top boxes come with a timer. I've asked my cable provider for a VCR-friendly set top box, and they couldn't help me. I'd like to have the STB change channels so that I don't miss shows, but over here that would cost me an additional $10.99 a month, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
There is a vast number of software packages for things like this. I do not think reinventing the wheel would be a good idea.

While there are a lot of packages that will turn your PC into a home theater device such as a PVR, these are overkill. I don't have enough band width to stream, nor a computer that is powerful enough to do so and meets the requirements of these powerful programs.

All I want is the remote control portion, to be able to schedule a remote control signal at certain times. Ideally I'd like this device to be able to send XMP signals, since most of the DTA's available in my area use the XMP signals, but there are boxes that use the G.I. Cable signals that occasionally are available in the office.

So I'm not looking for a reinvention of the wheel, I just want a smaller wheel than is currently available. I need a small scale application that merely will send out IR signals on a timed schedule. Ideally something light weight that will run on a computer with limited resources. That's why I've experimented a bit with Puppy Linux. It has been a perfect companion for watching TV and seeing the schedule. (Again I used to get this in the newspaper, but they no longer publish a listing, nor do they deliver daily, so I've gone on line to find out what is on TV.) The old laptop is working great, and boots much faster than my other computers can come out of hibernation.

While I'd like to do this merely to change channels so I don't miss my shows, there is a need for something like this, because there are hardly any DVR's for sale here, and those on the market don't have the ability to change the channels on the set top box, nor have a cable card slot so that the channel can be changed by the DVR tuner. So I'd also think this would be a good companion to a VCR/DVR.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
So I'm not looking for a reinvention of the wheel, I just want a smaller wheel than is currently available. I need a small scale application that merely will send out IR signals on a timed schedule. Ideally something light weight that will run on a computer with limited resources. That's why I've experimented a bit with Puppy Linux. It has been a perfect companion for watching TV and seeing the schedule. (Again I used to get this in the newspaper, but they no longer publish a listing, nor do they deliver daily, so I've gone on line to find out what is on TV.) The old laptop is working great, and boots much faster than my other computers can come out of hibernation.

Since Barf's app can run off of the command line, you can probably use shell scripting (korn, born, or C shell) in order to do what you want to do. If you have a preset schedule then you can use the AT command to schedule these tasks to execute at a particular time.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
Since Barf's app can run off of the command line, you can probably use shell scripting (korn, born, or C shell) in order to do what you want to do. If you have a preset schedule then you can use the AT command to schedule these tasks to execute at a particular time.

Hmm, I guess its about time that I pay for my items in the shopping cart so I can start testing. I had decided on the Iguana before Barf recommended it, so I think that's probably my best bet.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is a lot different over here in the US. We've enacted some laws that make things really backwards in comparison with other parts of the world. Over here almost no set top boxes come with a timer. I've asked my cable provider for a VCR-friendly set top box, and they couldn't help me. I'd like to have the STB change channels so that I don't miss shows, but over here that would cost me an additional $10.99 a month, as far as I can tell.

First, are you possibly referring to analog STB'es as "STB"? I have my (SuperVHS) VCR in perfect condition, but I have not turned it on for months...

For restrictions like that, the way of the Hacker is to write an own operating system and flash it onto a (digiital) STB. I have been active in a project like that (see link in previous message),

Quote:
If you have a preset schedule then you can use the AT command to schedule these tasks to execute at a particular time.

Wow. Real (wo-)men are not dead. If it was good in the eighties.... Wink

Vicky, you might like to check out the Eventghost project/program. It is good at, e.g. sending IR signal 7 minutes after sunset on all dates which are a prime number, requiring no programming in the classical sense. It also has an active and helpful user base and forum.

BTW, the Iguana is the only piece I do not posses of the list I wrote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf wrote:
Quote:

First, are you possibly referring to analog STB'es as "STB"? I have my (SuperVHS) VCR in perfect condition, but I have not turned it on for months...

With the digital transition, one of the cable companies I use, requires a DTA (digital to analog set top box) which unscrambles their signal and puts it out to analog channel 3. A VCR-friendly DTA or set top box, would be one with a timer, so you could automatically change channels, and record channel 3 with a vcr, dvr, dvd-recorder.....

Quote:

For restrictions like that, the way of the Hacker is to write an own operating system and flash it onto a (digiital) STB. I have been active in a project like that (see link in previous message),

Quote:
If you have a preset schedule then you can use the AT command to schedule these tasks to execute at a particular time.

Wow. Real (wo-)men are not dead. If it was good in the eighties.... Wink

Vicky, you might like to check out the Eventghost project/program. It is good at, e.g. sending IR signal 7 minutes after sunset on all dates which are a prime number, requiring no programming in the classical sense. It also has an active and helpful user base and forum.

BTW, the Iguana is the only piece I do not posses of the list I wrote.

Well I would rather it be something gui, but I will work with a command prompt if there is no alternative. Eventghost looks very nice, and windows based. I can do a lot of things in Windows, but I don't have a spare machine that will run windows. My spare machine will only run small version of Linux, because its old and doesn't have many resources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: