JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing his IR (or RMIR) file, I can't tell.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Without seeing his IR (or RMIR) file, I can't tell.

Ah, okay... but can I infer from that answer my RMDU file was setup appropriately?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure looks OK to me. I suspect that he failed to copy the protocol executor, which would explain why none of the buttons worked. However, if he did copy it and it doesn't work, there could be a problem with the executor itself.

But, this is all speculation without the IR file.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
It sure looks OK to me. I suspect that he failed to copy the protocol executor, which would explain why none of the buttons worked. However, if he did copy it and it doesn't work, there could be a problem with the executor itself.

But, this is all speculation without the IR file.

Okay, great! Thanks for the input. I'm still rather new to programming an actual JP1 remote and not a Slingbox. So, I wanted to make sure that there weren't any discrepancies when I configured the RMDU for his remote.

Trying to field as many of these requests as possible, so I get better accustomed to the tools and interface. Then I can get back to finishing the wiki that I started to outline, but stopped in fear that I didn't understand it nearly as well as I thought.

Instead of creating an RMDU file for their remote, from now on I'll create the RMDU's for my remote. Test my results with IRscope then upload it. As I understand, RM is supposed to be able to recalculate the appropriate data based on the selected RDF. So, there shouldn't be a problem there, right?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
As I understand, RM is supposed to be able to recalculate the appropriate data based on the selected RDF. So, there shouldn't be a problem there, right?

That's how it's supposed to work, yes.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

There is a messaging "line transmission delay" here due to a time difference... :-)

I will post my IR file as soon as I get back home.

And yes, I HAVE had the protocol copy/pasted into IR, but let me repeat the whole exercise tonight to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

Watch this space.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is a (final?) update:

I have carefully repeated loading the upgrade, and made sure I also copy-pasted the protocols this time.

I deliberately refrained from modifying anything in the upgrade - so I just loaded it "as is" into RM -> IR -> URC8811

Yes, it worked this time... not all the buttons though.

(mind you, there was only so many buttons I could try due to malfunctioning of the DVD part of the device)

Here goes:
The buttons with device code 144 (for example, "Power Toggle") worked.
The buttons with device code 176 (for example, "Menu") worked too.
The buttons with device code 160 (for example, "Mute") did NOT work.
I followed 3FG's advice and "learned" this transmission using other remote with learning function. IR decodes the "learned" signal as Panasonic,160/0,OBC=50. So it shoots just "what the doctor ordered", but the device doesn't understand it.

This is not critical for me at all. Overall, I am happy with the upgrade now, and sorry for a little confusion in the beginning when I stated that the upgrade didn't work.

Thanks everyone who contributed and helped in this thread.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you save your old IR file so you can look to see what you did wrong, for future reference?
digital_silence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't saved it Rob, but I think I know what I did wrong:

When I said above that I had the protocols cut'n'pasted, my recollection was that it was from KM, not from RM.
Meaning that it was a different upgrade (KM one) that I downloaded from Files section - probably for PV-D4733 or PV-D4732. Those are not for my device, so they didn't work even though I had the protocols loaded into IR.

And when I tried eferz's upgrade, I must've forgotten to copy/paste the protocols from RM. So it didn't work either - my fault.

Now, when I did everything "with due diligence", it worked.

All this is a bit embarrassing, but I "deserve" it... :-)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
While the RM is set for the 8910, it will not give you access to the 5 digit EFCs. If you pick a newer remote that does have the 5 digit EFC RM will decode them for you.
eferz wrote:
Curious. Shouldn't that be considered a bug?
mdavej wrote:
The 8910 can't use 5 digit EFCs, so why should RM let you use them?

No clue. That's why I posed the question. I understand that EFC stands for "Extended Function Codes" but where does one obtain these codes? And what significance is imposed on the number of digits?

I'm a little new to this, and am only used to the Original Button Code (OBC) codes because that's what I gather from IR Scope. While specifying them into RM, I notice the HEX and EFC fields are automagically filled.

Earl, I saw this post while I was on vacation and was just itching to answer but didn't want to take the time in the lobby of the Super 8. Laughing

EFC's are one of the most confusing things for a newbie to understand. Since you came in from the slingbox area you were not overly exposed to EFCs. EFC's are primarily used to help people with a non-learning UEI remote and no cables. We use RM or KM to calculate those EFCs or find them in the Lookup tool. The non-JP1 user can then create EFC-style keymoves IF THERE IS A SETUP CODE WITH THE CORRECT FIXED DATA. These EFC style keymoves make UEI remotes so desirable. You can setup functions without the need of a cable.

In order to use an EFC you must have a remote that uses EFC style keymoves.
Newer remotes have 5 digit EFC's, so a 3 digit efc needs to be padded with two leading zeros.
Older remotes (pre 2006) can only do 3 digit EFCs. Many combo codes require 2 bytes of hex to express a function. So only the newer remotes that use 5 digit EFC's can set those functions up as EFC-style keymoves.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: