JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

1. Device: Panasonic NV-VP31GL
2. Type of device: DVD/VCR Combo
3. Year: ?? (2005?)
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC-8811 or 8910
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? n/a
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes, didn't find anything
(I am also a bit confused as to how to use those 5-digit EFC codes in RM ? - it won't let you paste them in or type them manually)

Tried files for Panasonic DVD/VCR combos from file section - none worked.

Thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
[b]11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes, didn't find anything
(I am also a bit confused as to how to use those 5-digit EFC codes in RM ? - it won't let you paste them in or type them manually)

Thanks.

While the RM is set for the 8910, it will not give you access to the 5 digit EFCs. If you pick a newer remote that does have the 5 digit EFC RM will decode them for you.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
While the RM is set for the 8910, it will not give you access to the 5 digit EFCs. If you pick a newer remote that does have the 5 digit EFC RM will decode them for you.

Curious. Shouldn't that be considered a bug?

digital_silence wrote:

I just uploaded this one as pulled from the Harmony Database. If you give it a try, please confirm whether or not it works.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9896
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

The 8910 can't use 5 digit EFCs, so why should RM let you use them?
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
eferz wrote:
mdavej wrote:

No clue. That's why I posed the question. I understand that EFC stands for "Extended Function Codes" but where does one obtain these codes? And what significance is imposed on the number of digits?

I'm a little new to this, and am only used to the Original Button Code (OBC) codes because that's what I gather from IR Scope. While specifying them into RM, I notice the HEX and EFC fields are automagically filled.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
eferz wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Personally, I think RM should let you enter EFC5 codes, even on an older remote, because if you've found a list of EFC5 codes from somewhere, there's no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to enter them.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Personally, I think RM should let you enter EFC5 codes, even on an older remote, because if you've found a list of EFC5 codes from somewhere, there's no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to enter them.

And I like the way it is, because that's how I learned which remotes were 5 and which were 3 digit EFC remotes. Now of course you can explore the RDF from inside RMIR or IR, so there are other easy ways. But prior to this addition it was really difficult to identify 3 and 5 digit remotes when I don't own the remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade wanted: Panasonic DVD/VCR Combo NV-VP31GL Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
And I like the way it is, because that's how I learned which remotes were 5 and which were 3 digit EFC remotes. Now of course you can explore the RDF from inside RMIR or IR, so there are other easy ways. But prior to this addition it was really difficult to identify 3 and 5 digit remotes when I don't own the remote.

From a new JP1 user's perspective, I wouldn't know which model remote is "newer" or "older" but I am daring enough to try random profiles. However, not everyone is as brazen as I am. In fact, I would think that most new users would be timid about mucking around in unknown territory.

I understand the viewpoints of mjdave, robman, and vicki and acknowledge very valid points. If I were to address the issue from a UI standpoint; adding a column named, "EFC5*", when the remote itself doesn't support it would allow any user to use the codes and allow the identification of a three or five digit compatible remote.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all.

eferz, the upgrade that you uploaded did NOT work.
I must admit, though, that I have never dealt with multiple device/subdevice upgrades before. All I did today is just loaded your upgrade into my 8811 using RM and IR, without changing anything.

Was the Harmony upgrade listed as being exactly for this device, or you renamed it?

If you have a Harmony RC device, would you be able to "learn" a signal from the upgrade and upload a WAV?

Basically, I only need to control the VCR section of it - will this help to tell which protocol/device/subdev combination I should use?

Vicky, wrt 5-digit EFCs - I tried to follow your suggestion: I selected (say) URC-10820 in RM, and tried to copy/paste the 5-digit EFC codes from RM-friendly column of Lookup Tool into EFC5 column of RM. I was trying to copy/paste the whole column. However, it only pastes ONE (first) EFC5 value.
Is there a way to paste the whole column (like in Excel) or do I have to type them all in manually?
(note that the "function name" column pastes just fine, as a whole column... strange?)

Generally, it looks like I have to educate myself about using multi-device upgrades...
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
eferzWas the Harmony upgrade listed as being exactly for this device, or you renamed it?

Yes. You can always check the Harmony Database by going to http://www.logitech.com/harmony/components

digital_silence wrote:
If you have a Harmony RC device, would you be able to "learn" a signal from the upgrade and upload a WAV?

Maybe, I wouldn't know how though.

digital_silence wrote:
Basically, I only need to control the VCR section of it - will this help to tell which protocol/device/subdev combination I should use?

I am not sure. Below are the links to my ICT and RMDU files which was gathered from the respective Harmony Device Profile. Maybe someone more knowledgeable and experienced than myself in this subject matter can double-check the work.

ICT: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9901
RMDU: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9896

digital_silence wrote:
Is there a way to paste the whole column (like in Excel) or do I have to type them all in manually?

It worked for me. These are the steps which I performed.

1. From Remote Master: File | New
  2. Typed, "Panasonic NV-VP31GL", into Description Field
  3. Selected, "URC-8820", for Remote selection.
  4. Copied both columns without the header row on the top section from http://www.getzweb.net/jp1/data_returns/DeviceEFCs.php?type=Video&devid=1162&webpid=++130
  5. Per the page above, made the following changes in the "Setup" Tab:
    • Device Type: Video
    • Setup Code: 1162
    • Protocol: Panasonic VCR Combo
    • Main Device: 140
    • Subdevice: 0
  6. Clicked on "Functions" tab
  7. Pressed "Clean up" button
  8. Pressed "New" button
  9. High-lighted the first column and row then pressed the "Paste" Button
  10. Watched as all the information propagated.

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalsilence,
Since you have two remotes, why not check everybody's work. You can do this by installing the upgrade in one remote and teaching some of the functions to your second remote. Then downloading the second remote into IR and looking at the Learned Signals tab will tell you which device numbers and OBCs are being shot by the first remote.

For example, nearly all Panasonic combo units use device 144.0 OBC 10 for Play. And that's what eferz got from the Harmony. Let's see if your remote is actually shooting that.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(thanks again to all contributors)

OK, there is a "breakthrough" here...

This device indeed needs 144.0 dev/subdev settings, but requires a "Panasonic" protocol, as opposed to "Panasonic Mixed Combo" (used in eferz's upgrade) or "Panasonic VCR Combo".

I don't know the fine details of the differencies in these protocols, but as I said: when I loaded eferz's upgrade straight, with no changes, it didn't work (even the buttons with dev 144), but when I changed the protocol in RM from "Panasonic Mixed Combo" to just "Panasonic" and set the dev/subdev to 144/0, it worked for VCR section of the combo.

I guess, I have thereby lost the DVD functionality, but sorting this out will be one of my next steps (the DVD spindle motor controller is broken anyway :-)

--------------------
3FG, I suppose what I found above cancels the need for me to perform the tests that you've suggested... agree?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no difference between the plain Panasonic protocol and the others in the signals themselves, all of the variants produce signals that use the Panasonic protocol. The other variants allow you to combine different device codes and/or sub-device codes.

If the combo didn't work, there must have been an error in how it was set up.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the upgrade, the bulk of the buttons use 176.0, some of the others use 144.0, 144.5, 160.0 and 160.28

When you change the protocol to panasonic with 144.0 the only buttons that should work are the ones that require 144.0. You could change the codes to 176.0 and (in theory) the DVD buttons should work.

I notice that the combo requires a protocol upgrade, did you remember to add that to your IR file? I don't think you ever posted your IR file for us to look at, so we can't check for any errors that you might have made.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If the combo didn't work, there must have been an error in how it was set up.

Would that be attributed to my RMDU file or his RMIR upload? Or are you talking about the executor itself?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: