JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCR05B is 'frozen' (using 1.04 extender)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: RCR05B is 'frozen' (using 1.04 extender) Reply with quote

A while ago I added the 1.04 extender to my RCR05B. I don't know what happened, but when I recently tried an update, it now freezes as soon as the extender activates. I can remove the batteries, and it blinks 4 times, but then, NOTHING works. If I leave the JP1 cable connected (USB), some of the keys make the green light blink. Holding down the SETUP key, which is supposed to disable the extender, doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried uploading older files, but still nothing. Unlike older remotes, the extender seems to permanently hook itself, so it's not like I can go into setup and force a factory reset.

I put a copy of the raw RMIR file downloaded from the remote here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9799
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at your IR file in the next day or so, sorry about this
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, please read the Readme. This extender (and all of the JP1.3 extenders) are a new style of activation that remains activated even when the batteries are removed. The only way to deactivate is to use the deactivation keys. A battery removal will just reset the remote but will not deactivate.

Second, there is a failsafe built into the extender to ensure that if the extender code is not there the remote will still be able to do things. When this is activated (usually due to some failure on the remote, a reset or soemthing like that) every key will receive two blinks before it is processed and none of the macros/keymoves/etc will work. It's like you have the original remote back. (and the deactivate will not work either)

Third, on to your problem.

you say that when you remove the batteries and reinstall that you get 4 blinks? Is that before you press any keys? That would be very unusual since the 4-blink code is in the activation and deactivation routines that are not anywhere near the key processing code. The base remote, however, does have a 5 or 6 blink routine that tells you that the batteries are low.

You also didn't say what your "update" was. Did you try a new version of the extender? I hope you deactivated with that version prior to updates as suggested in the readme. The extender code does try to tolerate upgrades of extender version but things can go wrong with entry points into the extender that can cause issues. The safest way is to always deactivate first and then reactivate.

So, I'd try a fresh set of batteries and make sure that the version that you put back into the remote is the last one that you used successfullly. If that doesn't help, drop me a PM and we're going to have to do some other work.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try this, which is essentially a "forced" deactivation of the extender.

1: copy your IR file to something new, call it deactivate.ir

2: go into the raw data tab, scan ahead to address $07F1

What you should find there is $6D 06 53, this is a conditional jump that is executed after the failsafe check to run the extender

Replace that with $8D 08 55 which is an unconditional jump to the code that deactivates the extender.

3: save that IR file, verify the change by opening it again and then upload that to the remote.

4: press any key, you should get the 4-blink deactivate After that, since the extender is no longer active, the remote should behave like an out of the box remote.

5: do a long-press setup (which will confirm if the extender is deactivated) and then do a 981 reset to get the remote back to a known state

6: upload your original IR file, activate the extender and all should be good.

I've not tested this, but it's pretty clear that it should work. It's a brute force way to fix things.

-bill
andyross

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the download from the remote, it was all FF at those locations. I found the last IR file that I think was good (I remember it did work at the time) and had the extender in it. At 07F1, it has 6D 06 51, not 53.

As for what caused it, I'm not sure. I'm trying to get used to using RM/RMIR for everything. I used KM/IR for my 8910. When I added the extender, I realized that also added several new phantom keys and other things to the RCA. I decided to update some of that, but didn't realize RM lets you directly open and edit right form RMIR. I think I edited the file, but then added it again, causing duplicate devices. I've tried deleting them, but still no luck. I think I may have used IR to add the extender, then used RMIR for some update, and got something messed up.

I am a bit confused about the added protocols. In IR, I can see code for the protocols. In RMIR, those codes have a * after their PID's in the Devices tab, and nothing is listed in the protocols, even if I download into RMIR after uploading using IR.

I put copies of the IR and RMIR files here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9802
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the addresses don't match, I wouldn't try the patch that I gave you above. I think that reflects the difference in V1.04 that you have and V1.05 that I have. let me look at the 1.04 code to make sure that jump is somewhere that will work and not completely screw up your remote.

maybe not tonight, I've got some stuff going that will take up my time.

-bill
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, no luck. I bought a second RCA, downloaded it's factory fresh setup, and tried uploading that in the original. No luck. I even tried using that factory fresh, using IR to add in the 1.04 extender hex, and still it locks up after blinking 4 times (2 blinks, a short pause, then 2 blinks.) 1.04 is the latest extender in the downloads section.

Any other clues?

Other than downloading the new remotes setup, I'm not touching that one for now!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your PMs.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, looked at the code and the patch for 1.04 will work as well

Go into your IR file that has the extender in it

Patch the data at $07F1 from 6D 06 51 to 8D 08 55

That will patch in a direct jump to the deactivation routine for the extender. You should see the 4 flashes when you do this then the remote will be unextended. You can verify if it is unextended with a long-press of setup that should get you into setup mode, then do a 981 reset

after that you can start over. download the reset remote IR file, install the extender into that that file and then re-activate

if that doesn't work, PM me with your email
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing

With the JP1.3 extenders, you can't load a virgin IR file into the remote without first deactivating the extender. The remote is expecting code to be in the $700-$7FF block of memory and if it's not there the remote will do unpredictable things (but will most likely hang)
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through a combination of a special program, and again uploading from IR, I got it to the point where I was able to to do a 981 factory reset and it seems to be working again.

I deleted all of my .ir and .rmir files and will start from scratch and try to do this 100% with RM/RMIR. I think I used IR for the extender install because I originally didn't see where RMIR had it's extender install option hiding in plain sight.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross

Can u explain what u did? I was hoping to get some diagnostic info if the patch didn't work so I could figure out what went wrong
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a special program from binky123 that works at a lower level. I think at some point, I got the extender or something to stop working, and I could get into the setup to do the factory reset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: