JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm Back, and Need to Modify My Remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: I'm Back, and Need to Modify My Remote Reply with quote

About two and a half years ago the folks here, particularly The Robman, helped me program my Comcast remote using the JP1 connector.

Here are some of the threads at that time:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10496&highlight=
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10498&highlight=
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10497&highlight=

Last week I replaced my Sony HT CT100 Home theater system with a Pioneer VSX-820 receiver and speakers. Now I need to reprogram the remote to replace the volume control and mute buttons plus the device selection buttons (DVD, TV, Cable box) with the correct ones for the Pioneer.

First, I got IR.exe version 8.02 but I'm not sure it works on my Win7 64bit system. When I tried to start it I got this message:

Once I get this working I have now forgotten how the whole thing works. As I remember, once I get it working I can import the current profile/codes/settings and all I have to change are the numbers for volume and mute plus the device selection buttons (DVD, TV, Cable box) on the Comcast remote Aux mode -- is this correct?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you really need to do is change the sony code to a pioneer code and possibly set the volume punch thru (or volume lock) device to AUX. I can't think of any reason to change any numbers for volume and mute. Any such keymoves can simply be deleted. The device selection thing doesn't make any sense to me. Reading the docs in the beginner stickies or wiki should get you going.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

What does the message mean? Does it mean IR.exe isn't working with my operating system?

Quote:
The device selection thing doesn't make any sense to me.

All devices connect to the receiver (just as all devices used to connect to the Sony system) and only one HDMI cable goes to the TV. To switch between these devices (DVD, Cable box, Roku) I set up AUX on the Comcast remote so the channel up/down moves between these devices. Also, the numbers 1, 2 & 3 in AUX select these devices also.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jim still has his Comcast remote setup as it was in this post it had the Sony on device 4, and a Toshiba DVD on AUX. So assigning 31023 to AUX will disable his DVD, and mess up his switching.

I don't know if it is possible to use a serial interface with 64 bit Win7. It is probably worth trying to run IR.exe with XP compatibility mode.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the latest IR 8.03 and choose JP1.x from the Interface menu. Make sure you have admin rights and that your serial port is enabled in the BIOS and shows up as functional in device manager in control panel. FWIW, I have no issues running IR in Win7 64, but I'm using Tommy Tyler's USB cable.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered Tommy Tyler's USB cable and I'll post again when it arrives.

When you say, "make sure you have admin rights" do you mean I should use the Right Click "Run as Administrator?" Or just that my account should have Administrator privileges?

Do you know what the program generated message I posted means?

Will my original *.ir files load correctly into the new IR.exe?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part says it can't load the old Delphi parallel port driver included with IR (gwiopm.sys), which is to be expected on a 64-bit OS since it's not compatible. The second part says it can't load the Delcom driver, which also make perfect sense because you never installed it, and even if you had it wouldn't run on a 64-bit OS either since no 64 bit version of that driver exists. It finally says "Interface set to JP1.x" which is the interface you actually have, so that's all good. At that point, I would expect your cable to work if the serial port is functional and the native serial port driver is indeed loaded.

After thinking about this some more, I don't think admin rights have anything to do with this particular problem. But using an account with administrator privileges will allow any drivers you need to load and any low level access the program needs to run properly as well as file/folder access.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the cable plugged in, go to device manager and confirm the USB Serial Port under Ports is working properly. You can also get that message when the cable is not connected properly (try turning the other way) or when your remote batteries are low.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten the cable connection to the remote working. But, I can see I'm going to have several questions about programing the device.

I am removing the Sony sound-bar system and replacing it with a Pioneer VSX-820 receiver.

It looks like I need to replace the Dev3 device with the receiver. It's been too long since I did this originally and Rob really guided me through and did much of it even then.

Since I didn't find the VSX-820 I chose the Pioneer VSX D608.txt as a starting point. As I understand it I have to import the text file into the Keymap spreadsheet, but I can't get any of the buttons on the spreadsheet to do anything.

i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To explain my starting point. Below is the IR data for my current configuration -- that is, the setup for the Sony sound-bar.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for the buttons to work in KM, you will need to set your Excel Macro Security to Medium to allow unsigned macros to run.

In Excel Select
Tools -> Macro -> Security
change the security level to MEDIUM

Then reload KeymapMaster and when asked, allow enable the macros.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
In order for the buttons to work in KM, you will need to set your Excel Macro Security to Medium to allow unsigned macros to run.

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware macros have to be permitted. My normal setting allows macros with an alert. This was not working -- no alert, no function. So, before I posted, I had changed it to allow all macros regardless, and this didn't work either.

But later, after I rebooted, the allow all mode works, but the alert mode still does not -- who knows.

So, that problem is solved. I'll explain the issue I have now in the next message.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I have gotten the volume and mute buttons active and punched through to the other devices.

If I can get one more thing working I'll be happy and quit pestering youall.

Below is a picture of the remote for my Pioneer VSX-820 receiver. I want to get the three buttons indicated by the arrows to work in the AUX mode. If you look at the center screen (the KeyMoves tab) from IR.ext posted above, you will see a set of buttons outlined in red. These were the same functions on the Sony system. They were programmed by Rob. Here is a capture of the button/function list for the Pioneer VSX D608 which is the model I am using, hoping it is close to the VSX-820.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6246962/Pioneer-VSX-D608-buttons.png None of the buttons seem to be "device" buttons, so maybe this isn't best Pioneer receiver to use.

In any event I don't understand how Rob knew what to put in the KeyMove table.

So, my questions are:
1) What are the button names used for the devices?
2) How do I figure out what codes to put in the KeyMove table?
3) If there is a better device upgrade to use than the Pioneer VSX D608 please tell me.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Use whatever button names you like. It's best to use whatever is printed on the original remote so others can understand what you've done. Utilize the notes column too if needed.
2 & 3) All the codes you need appear to be in THIS list.

When you get your upgrade completed, please post it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: