JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VPT problem with a Replay5000 extender

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elorimer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: VPT problem with a Replay5000 extender Reply with quote

I just started working with the Replay 5000 1.2 extender and have a threshold problem. I'm not having success with the remote controlling my Denon AVR-787 receiver at all.

Step 1. I have a RS 2104 working my setup just fine. I opened the upgrade file it uses in RM, changed the remote to the 1.2 extender and the type to VCR and saved it.

Step 2. I opened the 1.2 extender.txt in IR as a starting point and added the Denon(combo) protocol and device from Step 1 and assigned it to the AUX1 device. I then added devices for the Cable box, PS3 and the TV and created macros on the first three number keys to switch devices, inputs and so on.

Step 3. I uploaded the result to a 5000 remote and activated the extender. The remote volume and input codes don't work with the Denon receiver. The cable box, PS3 and TV work as expected.

Step 4. For diagnostic purposes I took out everything but the Denon upgrade and assigned it to the CD and AUX devices. I also put the volume controls on the 7, 8 and 9 number keys (using RM). Then I defined Shift-1, Shift-2, Shift-3 and Shift-4 to use combinations of V_CD, V-AUX, O_Replay and O_AUX. In all cases neither the number keys nor the volume keys are controlling the Denon. So there is something wrong with the Denon upgrade, which is confusing me since I started with a file that is working with the 2104 just fine.

Step 5. I've uploaded that cut-down IR file here in the diagnostic section: [url] http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9715[/url]. Just starting out with an extender I am sure I am doing something basic wrong. I would be grateful if someone might take a quick look and see if I am right I am wrong...

PS. I tried this with two 5000 remotes with the same result.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VPT problem with a Replay5000 extender Reply with quote

Hi Eliomer

I am totally unfamiliar with the Replay 5000 remote and extender, but everything looks good.

The extender appears to be in place. The setup code and the protocol are both included. There isn't anything jumping out at me.

This is what I'd do

1) Load and activate your extender
2) press a button that is supposed select your Denon code
3) press the volume key and check with a digital camera (phone will do), to that there is a signal being sent
4) also watch for any unexpeded LED blinks.
5) set a baseline in IR
6) download from the remote and check to see if anything was changed.

Also check that the hex, in the IR device tab is the same hex for the buttons in the remote that worked.

BTW did you see we're working on the denon/denon-k combo that you asked about a long time ago.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
elorimer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen the combo thread, so I went looking. I see you uploaded a combo Friday based on a UEI combo. I'll watch closely!

So on the 5000, yes the volume key is sending a signal (red flashing light + camera trick both confirm). I downloaded from the remote and compared it to what I had uploaded to the diagnostic section and to the remote, and they appear identical (except, of course, that the notes are gone in the remote version.

The hexes are the same as the working 2104 version.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more test.

Use your other remote and capture the volume to see what is being sent.

One other thing occurred to me. How are your batteries? Are they strong? Do they rattle in the remote?

When I was first starting with extenders, my first attempt just wouldn't work. I couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out the batteries were disconnecting just enough to reset the remote and deactivate the extender.

I wish I had a replay so I could figure out what is going on.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
elorimer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good idea and an interesting result.

I learned Vol+ and Vol- from the 5000 extender to the 2104 and I get a different result.

Vol+ in the upgrade is Denon device 2, OBC 14, EFC 054 and Hex B8 8F.
Learned back I get Denon device 2, OBC 14, EFC 145 and Hex 70
The EFC in the IR devices page for the working upgrade has an EFC of 01866 and Hex B8-8F.
In the file I uploaded to the diagnostics area the EFC is 01866 and the hex is B8 8F, which is what it should be.

Vol- similarly diverges for the EFC and Hex learned back.

And you don't mean you wish you had a replay, you mean a replay remote. Just at the moment DNNA has announced it is shutting down replaytv July 31, and there is serious math underway over at avsforum to keep them from becoming doorstops.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elorimer wrote:
What a good idea and an interesting result.

I learned Vol+ and Vol- from the 5000 extender to the 2104 and I get a different result.

Vol+ in the upgrade is Denon device 2, OBC 14, EFC 054 and Hex B8 8F.
Learned back I get Denon device 2, OBC 14, EFC 145 and Hex 70
The EFC in the IR devices page for the working upgrade has an EFC of 01866 and Hex B8-8F.
In the file I uploaded to the diagnostics area the EFC is 01866 and the hex is B8 8F, which is what it should be.

Vol- similarly diverges for the EFC and Hex learned back.

The EFC and HEX from a decode don't mean anything. What this does confirm is that the extender is working as advertised.

So why doesn't the device respond. Perhaps its the wrong OBC and Device number, or perhaps the timings are just enough out of whack to be a problem.

Post the IR file so I can see if the learns are out of the normal range. If you have a learn from the original remote to compare the two that would be even better.

Quote:

And you don't mean you wish you had a replay, you mean a replay remote.

Yep

Quote:

Just at the moment DNNA has announced it is shutting down replaytv July 31, and there is serious math underway over at avsforum to keep them from becoming doorstops.

Oh yes, I did read that about the Replay while I was trying to find a DVR.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking in RM, I see the problem. Somehow you're using the hex from the Denon Combo Hack with the Denon Combo Official executor.

I don't know how you did it. RM wouldn't do it to me. Different executors need different hex to send the same signal. The OBC's need to be the same.

This should be an easy fix.

You just need to revisit RM.

elorimer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just like that it works....THANKS!

I don't follow exactly what is going on here so I have some studying up to do.

It reminds me of the old line that with 2 wheel drive, you can go off the road and into the woods, but not so far a tow truck can't pull you back out. With 4 wheel drive you can go off the road and into the woods so far even a tow truck can't pull you out. I got off the road so far even RM couldn't pull me back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: