JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with IR 8.03. Cannot locate rdf file folder - Solved

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickety

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Problem with IR 8.03. Cannot locate rdf file folder - Solved Reply with quote

When I run IR and download from a remote, or open an IR file, it tells me that it cannot find the rdf and asks me to use the Set Directory option.

When I look at Set Directory, it shows the path where the rdfs are but the "files (*.*) shows nothing. If I walk back up the heirarchy it seems as though it cannot really see the My Documents folder under my account.

I copied everything over to another drive and the whole folder structure was not visible in Set Directory.

I did try RMIR and it can see the folder structure properly. I have not been successful with RMIR (yet) as the download and upload icons are greyed out. I only mention RMIR as it shows that the folder structure really is there!

Can anyone provide any diagnostic ideas or suggestions that I could try. This problem has occurred within the last two weeks as I was able to download some learned codes at the beginning of the month.

Many thanks

Last edited by rickety on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't specify what operating system you are using, or if you share your computer with someone else, but it sure sounds like someone dragged and dropped something to where it shouldn't be.

As you mentioned the files *.* show everything that is there. If nothing is showing there then you are not in the folder with your rdfs.

rickety wrote:
When I look at Set Directory, it shows the path where the rdfs are but the "files (*.*) shows nothing. If I walk back up the heirarchy it seems as though it cannot really see the My Documents folder under my account.

If the folder was moved or does not exist, the folder still shows in this window.

Go to the Set Directory=> RDF Path

Copy the Directory Name (Ctrl+C)
Open a windows explorer (windows key +E)
Paste the directory Name in the Address Bar

Do you really see the RDF's there or has someone dragged them away?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Vicky for the suggestions. I am using XP on a laptop and althought there are two other accounts (my wife - who does not currently use the laptop; and my son who has moved out) I am the only one using it.

When I carried out your suggestion about copying the path as shown in Set Directory, into the Explorer window, Explorer shows the rdf files correctly.

E:\Documents and Settings\Rick\My Documents\IR Stuff\RemoteMaster\rdf ... is the full path. If I start at "e:\" in Set Directory, it will only let me go as deep as "Rick" but Explorer will let me go deeper. If using IR to open a file I can navigate to the folder, and if I select the "all files" option in Open I can see all the rdfs.

I am reasonably experienced with PCs and Windows but this really has me confused.

I very much appreciate your willingness to make suggestions.

Rick
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Again, Vicky (and any others who had given thought to my problem)

It appears as though the folder structure had some hidden and "read only" attributes set. Clearing those attributes now allows IR to locate the folders and files.

Just FYI this appears to be a different behaviour compared with RMIR - but this was a problem with my system that it certainly appears that no-one else experienced.

I had acquired the XP System Restore malware and repaired it by using the real Windows System Restore (as suggested by several sites) and the genesis of the problem may have occurred then. It had not exhibited itself in any other applications.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: