JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super TV-B-Gone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Super TV-B-Gone Reply with quote

I stumbled across this while investigating something completely unrelated to remotes: http://makeprojects.com/Project/Super-TV-B-Gone-Kit/637/1 It is a build-from-a-kit project that claims to toggle the power on any TV in IR range. They have programmed the toggle power command for hundreds of brands that all fire at the press of the single button. Used to have fun at your local BB or multi-screen restaurant.

At the same site, there is another project to build the project into a baseball cap for more stealthy operations. Laughing
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRScope, the IRWidget software, originally had (well still has) TV-B-Gone save settings. The widget was originally a do-it-yourself project too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
IRScope, the IRWidget software, originally had (well still has) TV-B-Gone save settings.

What do you mean?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
IRScope, the IRWidget software, originally had (well still has) TV-B-Gone save settings.

What do you mean?

Kevin's IRScope software originally was used for the IRWidget and the TV-B-Gone. When Graham took over IRScope development this became more of JP1 tool but he left the old single signal TV-B-Gone save formats.
If you go to the Advanced Menu and Uncheck the Hide Save Panel, you can see the TV-B-Gone format. There is also an Audio Format, but I don't know the history on the Audio.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the TV-B-Gone actually do? Does it just send 100s of TV power signals sequentially? As most TVs don't have discrete power codes, wouldn't it end up turning on a lot of TVs too?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I suppose it would, but I imagine, as the name implies, this is for people annoyed by TV's being on. A single button remote might have a lot of appeal.

Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
What does the TV-B-Gone actually do? Does it just send 100s of TV power signals sequentially?
Ah Ha! If you owned a Widget you wouldn't have to ask. I don't actually have a TV-B-Gone but I have several of the look-alikes sold by Deal Extreme HERE for less than $3. They work by transmitting groups of three commands, each a different protocol. To program it you hold down the MUTE button. The unit repeats the same three mute commands for two or three seconds, then stops transmitting for two or three seconds. If you are still holding the MUTE button down beyond that point it goes into search mode, transmitting new groups of commands of different protocols as it goes through its protocol repertoire. When one of those groups includes a command that triggers your TV you release the button. The unit then backs up to the next-to-last group of three commands transmitted (presumably to compensate for your reaction time) and those become the new group of three protocols transmitted each time you press any button. You never know whether it is the first, second, or third command in the group that works your TV, and you don't care. A group never includes two very similar protocols, and also there's an assumption that there is only one brand of TV within range. Transmitting in groups of three protocols is a compromise that speeds up the search process without slowing down normal usage.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
Ah Ha! If you owned a Widget you wouldn't have to ask.

But I *do* own a widget, I just don't own a TV-B-Gone device, or any of its clones, so there! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: