JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to create a backup for a remote?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jannic86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: How to create a backup for a remote? Reply with quote

I've just gotten my first JP1 remote (actually JP1.2), and before I mess around with anything, I want to create a backup of it so I can restore it if I have trouble. I found a lot of posts on the forum from people recommending making a backup, but no one actually giving the steps. And the RM manual doesn't have anything specifically about backups.

Okay, so I've got RM running, and the remote (a 10820N) is recognized just fine. The only menu option that looks promising is File > Save As. Is that correct? When the Save dialog comes up, there are two file types listed in the combo box at the bottom: "IR file (*.ir)" and "RM Remote Image (*.rmir)".

To make a backup, do I need to save a file for each type, or do I choose one? What are the differences? Also, how do I go about loading the backup back onto the remote when I need it?

Thanks for the help.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jannic86 wrote:
I want to create a backup of it
Does this link: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13005
help with creating a backup, at all...?

This page is always a good read, too - if you need to look at the basic program functions/names, and terminology/how it all works/what files are called, and stuff.

Last edited by jimdunn on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jannic86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I must have overlooked that post when I searched. That thread talks about using IR to save the backup, but I'm on Linux, so I'll be using RM-IR for my work. I should have mentioned that.

So should I just save the IR file (*.ir) and call it good? What is the other file type for (*.rmir)?
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jannic86 wrote:
So should I just save the IR file (*.ir) and call it good? What is the other file type for (*.rmir)?

Since you are using RM_IR, use the .rmir format.

I'm not sure if that stores any extra data compared to the basic .IR format - it may do, but I don't use RM-IR like that, as a standalone, so I'm guessing...
(someone cleverer than me will be along to tell you that, and it's a good question that I don't instantly have an answer for...).

But I'm pretty sure that using .rmir will "cover your bases" - ie - you certainly won't store any less... this way.

If you're terribly concerned - save both, until someone pops along to enlighten us both on the differences, if any Smile

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10820N has a fully mature RDF and no special OEM functionality so whatever kind of backup you did will be fine.

Best Practice :

Do a Raw Download and save as an IR file.

Both IR and RMIR make silent changes to the E2 area when downloading. This could be problematic in an OEM remote (A remote that came with your Cable box or TV...) or a remote that doesn't have a mature RDF. In these cases the silent changes might lose an OEM upgrade or some special setting.

So a best practice is to do a raw download to get an acurate picture of the E2 area prior to making any changes.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
The 10820N has a fully mature RDF and no special OEM functionality so whatever kind of backup you did will be fine.

Best Practice :

Do a Raw Download and save as an IR file.

Both IR and RMIR make silent changes to the E2 area when downloading. This could be problematic in an OEM remote (A remote that came with your Cable box or TV...) or a remote that doesn't have a mature RDF. In these cases the silent changes might lose an OEM upgrade or some special setting.

So a best practice is to do a raw download to get an acurate picture of the E2 area prior to making any changes.

Really? I've never seen this nor the need to do a raw download on any remote that I've ever done.

the JP1.3 remotes even carry the "special" data in the "private" area so that when you do a full reset it can restore the settings, upgrades, etc back to the E2 area. Of course, I erase that when I use it for the extender, but those can even self-restore after a 981 reset.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:

Really? I've never seen this nor the need to do a raw download on any remote that I've ever done.

That was a recommendation from Graham. Graham ran into problems with his remote that started with the urc-7xxx. (Can't remember the name of the remote,) but that's what got Graham started with IR. I have run into the problem with the Atlas 1054. I downloaded from the remote saved off the IR file, added a device and keymove and the remote would no longer work the box completely. I uploaded the 'virgin' IR image and, the remote would no longer work the box. I ended up having to give my neighbor a JP1.3 remote in place of the 1054. Sad I probably should look into that now that I think about it. I think there is probably an RDF error.

Quote:

The JP1.3 remotes even carry the "special" data in the "private" area so that when you do a full reset it can restore the settings, upgrades, etc back to the E2 area. Of course, I erase that when I use it for the extender, but those can even self-restore after a 981 reset.

I know with the Comcast 1067A a 981 will erase the 1376 upgrade so you end up with the default 1376 which is missing all the transport keys and the on Demand and My DVR keys.

I'm pretty sure the 1067B does this too.

I know that a 981 has been known to be a problem with dreambox and some OEM TV remotes too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 1067B, as received at our house, the usual keymove and macro region starting at $0608 is duplicated beginning at $0808. If the KMM area is changed, and the user wants to restore it, a 977 command will copy the $0808 region down to $0608. If the area starting at $0808 is empty ($FFs) then the user may issue a 988 command to copy the KMM area up to $0808. The RCA RCRP05B seems to work in the same way.

This has the effect that a user can experiment with keymoves and macros, and if the remote gets out of whack, the user can be instructed to do the 977 command, and the original KMM area is restored.

However, a 981 reset will erase the $0808 region. Is the "private area" somewhere else?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you got it right, I had forgotten that 981 really erases stuff. The "private" area is the area from $800 to $A00 (on the RCA, Atlas, etc)

I didn't realize that a 988 copies what's in the setup area "up" to the private area. That's cool.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
For the 1067B, as received at our house, the usual keymove and macro region starting at $0608 is duplicated beginning at $0808. If the KMM area is changed, and the user wants to restore it, a 977 command will copy the $0808 region down to $0608. If the area starting at $0808 is empty ($FFs) then the user may issue a 988 command to copy the KMM area up to $0808. The RCA RCRP05B seems to work in the same way.

This has the effect that a user can experiment with keymoves and macros, and if the remote gets out of whack, the user can be instructed to do the 977 command, and the original KMM area is restored.

However, a 981 reset will erase the $0808 region.

Another reason that the 1067B outshines the 1067A, The 1067A doesn't have the "hidden area" and the e2 area is very, very small, and the 1067A has that EFC problem where a range of EFC style keymoves are unavailable. Still I have more than 20 Comcast 1067A's in service and the only problem I see is that the E2 area erases itself if the All On button was pressed before the extender is activated.

Daniel_Eble

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added 988 and 977 to the wiki.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: