JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA URC 6640 Repair possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wahwahboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: OFA URC 6640 Repair possible? Reply with quote

Hello,
I've got a One For All URC 6440 R01 White remote that was working fine early this week. I left it in a hot conservatory and have now found it does not come on at all.

Changed batteries, dismantled it and confirmed 3V from the 2x1.5V AAA batteries is found at various points on the PCB.

I can connect it via the micro USB and I can see the settings.bin file (the 5V for this is supplied from the USB cable).

These files remote cannot be written to/modified - linux tells me it's a read only file system and no matter what i do, the files are not able to be changed.

RMIR aborts when reading from remote: "No RDF matches signature starting q" Download aborted.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or is able to advise on repairing these remotes??

I'll try reflowing solder on the components but other that that I'm guessing the processor is fried. If it works, I'll report back..

If not, I'm going to look for a replacement.
Cheers.
wahwahboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was a surprise, working now in case anyone ends up here! Not a hardware issue at all.
After dismantling it, I gave it another try with another PC. This time I connected via USB and inserted the batteries whilst connected.
I quickly tried to write a small file to it and found it was writable.

So, I put a known working settings.bin file on it and, lo behold, the lights came on and it's working.

So I can only assume the settings.bin became corrupt on a previous attempt to connect or it was not shut down properly by unmounting it (or "removing USB devices" in Windows).

I'd assumed settings.bin was only user based settings for IR. I didn't realise that the setting file contains signature data etc that if incorrect just bricks the remote!

Still, I had to chip off all that sticky scuzzy rubber seal around the edge to get into it.
wkeith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found your post when searching how to dismantle a 6440.

I had a similar settings.bin problem a year or to ago after I dowloaded a new upgrade from simpleset and it messed up the configuration due to versions and upgrades.

Currently investigating a rattle inside one of our 6440's and it transpired it was bits of the "scuzzy rubber seal" which had broken off inside. Two bits had
already dropped off the outside. The seal seems to have hardened with age. Only one of our 6 has suffered this - not sure why.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: