JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-1994
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: RS 15-1994 Reply with quote

I have a Comcast DVR URC-1067BX3 remote that can be programmed very easily. But the RS-15-1994 seem to be another problem all together. I have tied all different type of settings but no matter what is done it keeps coming back to the same dialog FAILED TO OPEN DEVICE.

I have tried IR-8.02 and IR 8.03 still the same problem still there.
I have changed batteries, changed ports still the same problem.
Since the serial/parallel and the USB are functioning properly could it be possible that the remote is no longer function properly.

Please help
Tks Lou
O.S. Win XP SP-3 Confused
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Comcast remote is a JP1.3 remote, while the 1994 is a JP1 remote. They require a different interface cable, or an adapter for the USB cable that works with your Comcast.

Or do you mean that you have both types of cable? In that case, how do you know that the serial/parallel and USB are working properly?
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried both Tommy Tylers cables the JP1 & JP2/3 version still no results. The com ports in the device hardware section shows that the FTDI driver uses com port 4. Two years ago I had all working and after repairing a crashed H.D. I am having problems, I will keep trying different ideas from the forum etc.
Does it make any difference which version of IR.exe that I use in this endeavor. Thanks Lou
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP1 cable includes a chip made by Delcom Engineering, and it needs drivers written by Delcom. The newer JP1.2/1.3 flash cable uses a chip made by FTDI, and of course uses their drivers.

So your computer needs to have both sets of drivers installed. Here I am assuming that your computer hardware hasn't changed except for the hard disk, and the USB susbsystem is known to have worked with the 1994. If the hardware has changed, it may be necessary to install the WinUSB driver instead of the Delcom. WinUSB instructions.

Delcom driver

Please use IR 8.03 or RMIR V 2.00
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: RS 15-1994 Reply with quote

How to you test the JP1 Delcom interface cable ?
Whenever the interface cable is connected to the remote all power seems to be lost on the remote.
The cable does not have to be connected to the computer USB port just plug in the 6 pin connector and the remote power is lost there are no back lights and the power will not work either.
Once it is unplugged and all is back to normal.
I tested the remote on a vcr and all seems to work as needed.
Thanks again Lou
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 15-1994 Reply with quote

oldgrouch wrote:
Since the serial/parallel and the USB are functioning properly could it be possible that the remote is no longer function properly.
oldgrouch wrote:
I have tried both Tommy Tylers cables the JP1 & JP2/3 version still no results. The com ports in the device hardware section shows that the FTDI driver uses com port 4.

Lou, let's try and keep things focused on the JP1 (EEPROM) cables and put aside the JP1 (Flash) cables for now.

As previously discussed, the URC-1067BX3 uses a JP1 (Flash) cable and the 15-1994 uses a JP1 (EEPROM) cable. The FTDI drivers are only used with JP1 (Flash) cables, so those are not relevant to your 15-1994 troubles.

Could you please specify which of the following types of JP1 (EEPROM) cable you have:
1. Parallel
2. Serial
3. USB

If you have all three, are the results the same when you try downloading from the remote? The Delcom drivers are only used by the USB version of the JP1 (EEPROM) cable, they are not used by the parallel or serial cables, so if you are also having issues with a parallel or serial cable, it's not a problem with the Delcom drivers.

Have you tried doing a 981 master reset on the remote? Be aware that this will erase *ALL* programming on the remote, so don't do this if you can't reprogram the remote without JP1.

Do you have the ability to solder? It is possible that the 6-pin connector has become loose and needs to be re-soldered.
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob
Thanks for the fast reply
I use strictly the USB cable.
At the moment I am strictly focused on the Tommy Tylers JP1 (EEPROM) Delcom version.
Could you please refresh me on the 981 Reset.
Yes I do have soldering skills.
Interface setting JP1.X (Serial or USB-Serial) also tried JP1USB
Driver status
Serial/Parallel driver is functioning properly
The Delcom USB driver is functioning properly
I am using the IR8.03 remote program
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lou
(PS) If needed I can purchase another that is equivalent or better than the RS 15-1994 .Do you still cary these items on Amazon?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1 USB is the correct setting for your EEPROM USB cable (definitely not JP1.x). Make sure the plug is oriented correctly (try both ways if you are uncertain). Also try it with no batteries.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrouch wrote:

At the moment I am strictly focused on the Tommy Tylers JP1 (EEPROM) Delcom version.
The Delcom USB driver is functioning properly

Look in computer properties, hardware, devices and see what kind of USB is there. If you see Standard OpenHCD host controller you will have to use WinUSB as 3fg suggested. 3fg made this driver work with the flawed Delcom driver. And yes, devices always says it functioning properly Twisted Evil

Links are above, in this post
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=95718#95718
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: RS 15-1994 Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice I will check out the settings tomorrow.
I tried the following method all to no avail. JP1 only,reversed the remote connector and finally removed the batts all to no avail.
I kept getting the following message Open device failed (error message=03)
Hope this helps somewhat Thanks again for all those who are trying to help me. Smile Lou
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the error message is "Open device failed LastError=3" then the USB JP1 interface isn't being recognized by the computer, probably because the Delcom driver hasn't installed correctly. This message is generated before an attempt is made to communicate with the remote, so the error isn't caused by the remote or the connection to it.
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse this 75 year old brain not working like it used to.
Could you please give me the detailed instructions on how to install the USBIODS.zip Delcom driver or is that wrong driver
I have tried everything that I can possible think off. but none will work, I don't even get the message Found New hardware anymore.
The Delcom driver is there but does not do what it suppose to.
Confused
jimdunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you say:
Quote:
I don't even get the message Found New hardware anymore.

and several other things which make your problem seem a little odd, I'm going to suggest you have a look at this post, which describes a USB "lock up " condition I've experienced a few times, which causes all sorts of strange USB symptoms, and can only be cured by powering off and discharging the computer completely:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=85779#85779

It may well have nothing to do with your troubles, and the symptoms/errors are similar but not identical - but it's easy to check and rule out.

Also, there's a file with installation pics and useful info for the Delcom driver, which ElizabethD posted, in the file section, that may help:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8263
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrouch wrote:
Please excuse this 75 year old brain not working like it used to.
Could you please give me the detailed instructions on how to install the USBIODS.zip Delcom driver or is that wrong driver
I have tried everything that I can possible think off. but none will work, I don't even get the message Found New hardware anymore.
The Delcom driver is there but does not do what it suppose to.
:?

I've had mixed results with the Delcom drivers, some times they just won't install properly some times they will. Sometimes I have had to use the old Delcom versions and sometimes the newer ones work.

But to "remove" the device and the drivers, you go to control panel, go to the hardware manager, right-click on the device and remove it. (or if it's not working and you see a yellow-exclamation point) you can "update" the driver by pointing windows to the right spot.

(I don't use Windows much anymore, and only in a VM on my mac so I'm not the best authority on this. Not only that, I really don't use many JP1 remotes anymore either)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get any drivers to work, you could always get Tommy's JP1 EEPROM adapter. Then you could use your working JP1.3 cable to program both your comcast and 1994. If you want another 1994, there are some for sale HERE pretty cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: